“Not so much”

Ranked #15 of 144 Hotels in Christchurch
Chicagoland, Illinois
“Not so much”
Reviewed 13 January 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Pavilions just one night on our two week tour through New Zealand...thank heavens. It seems as if this facility may have had another life or at least a long one. I would describe this as a motor lodge or motel rather than a four star hotel. We requested two double beds but got one double and one twin. There was no air conditioning! The fan on the room heater was apparently to suffice...it did not. We could not leave a window open because it was next to the parking lot and would not have been safe or secure to do so. The rooms were small and there was precious little space to accommodate open luggage. We sought an early evening beverage at 5:55 p.m. We noticed that drink specials began at 6:00 p.m. as we ordered our drinks and asked if we could get the special rate...the answer was no! It was not yet time for the special rate. Really?! So, I paid full price. What a great public relations and customer service move. Staying at The Pavilions (hotel and spa?) was a disappointing experience. I cannot recommend this facility.

• Stayed January 2013
Horncastle, General Manager at Pavilions Hotel, responded to this review, 17 January 2013
We appreciate your comments.

We have only just in November 2012 had our rating reviewed and approved by New Zealand's Qualmark system as a four star hotel.

I am unsure where you booked two double beds as all our twin rooms have a queen and single bed only. All websites provide this option only and our staff are aware of the bedding configuration.

For the rare hot days that are in Christchurch we do have fans that can be delivered to the rooms.

Most people that stay appreciate that our rooms are generously sized and they are bigger than average hotel room in New Zealand. We may have been able to change you to a larger room if you had expressed your concern on check in.

It is nice we are able to offer a Happy Hour which all our guests enjoy. Fortunately, for ease of use our computers are automatically programmed to run at the discount for Happy Hour between 6pm-7pm. I guess the unfortunate thing is that it is difficult to overide this if you purchase drinks outside this time and it can only be done by the Duty Manager onsite.

I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay but do invite you to contact me directly should you be back this way again so that we can be sure to meet your expectations. My email directly is debbie@pavilion.co.nz

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 January 2013

Good location for city centre. Facilities adequate, clean. Bar noisy but then quiet from 10 pm. Good restaurant menu, service and food if a little on the expensive side. Regarding a previous comment on this hotel about being able to see into rooms, this can only be done when the lights are on in the room - so close the curtains !!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple

I am glad you enjoyed our restaurant - it is good to see such positive reviews coming back from this. It is also great to have you notice our staff service, which we are always striving to provide our best of.

Look forward to seeing you stay again soon.
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 7 January 2013

We recently stayed at the Pavilions for one night in December. There were two families in our party; the other family had a two bedroom suite while we had a one bedroom suite. I had done quite a bit of ringing around and looking at reviews to pick the best place to stay. I was impressed that Debbie responds to the reviews on here and that made me decide on the Pavilions.

Unfortunately, we had a horrible stay here. Our one bedroom suite was up a flight of stairs with no elevator. With small two small children and luggage, this would have been a complete nightmare if it wasn't for the other family in our party helping out. The suite felt really small, it didn't help that there was a massive TV in the lounge area. With the sofa bed out, there was hardly any room to move. The bedroom was the same, once our luggage was in there, you could hardly move. The bathroom felt a bit on the old side, at 5 foot 7 I could not stand up in the shower. The shower was just a dribble.

Another negative was the noise, I have never stayed anywhere with so much noise. The room itself was a buzz, the fridge was humming so loudly we had to turn it off at the wall. The light switches buzzed. As our unit was on a corner, we seemed to get outside noise from everywhere. I could hear a lot of traffic noise (which I know the hotel itself can't be held responsible for). There was also a lot of extremely loud conversations going on between people outside. I don't know where these people were coming from, whether the restaurant or other units. I know I could have rung reception but each time I went to do it, the converstations would stop and then another one would pop up from somewhere else a bit later. This went on until after midnight, when it got nice and quiet until about 6:30am. At this point a number of trucks seem to arrive, I don't know if they were delivery trucks or picking up laundry. But I was rudely awoken to the loud beep, beep, beep of a truck reversing.

On the positive side, I did have a very nice room service meal. I had the steak and a creme brulee which I thoroughly enjoyed. It arrived promptly, despite being told there was a large plane loud of people arriving soon which may tie the restaurant up. We didn't have breakfast, to be honest I was too wrecked from the bad night sleep and just wanted to get out of there. Also, each staff member we dealt with were very professional and helpful.

I do feel very bad giving such a negative review as I can see the team totally try their very best. I feel the room itself, and not the staff, that lets the hotel down.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Thank you for posting your comments to us. First can I say it is nice of you to notice that we do respond to every comment posted on Trip Advisor as it is important to us that we take on board what our customers expectations are and we do aim to provide you with an enjoyable stay.

Had we noticed that you had booked a one bedroom unit with two children we would of recommended you move to a 2 bedroom or at least advised you of the space limitation, a 1 bedroom unit would generally be for a couple or business traveller wishing to use the lounge.

It is true we are a 2 storey building, with no elevator. We do have a porter service so taking your bags to and from the first floor is no problem. In addition most people staying in Christchurch find it a positive that we are just 2 levels due to our current environment.

Unfortunately due to the nature of the hotel industry anything can happen and on the evening that you stayed there was a flight disruption which meant that people were arriving at different hours of the night and when the hotel was not perhaps going to be busy that night, it turned out to be quite busy which would explain the noise of that night - this can happen from time to time - you struck an unlucky night in this regard. It is surprising, however that you could hear traffic noise in the room you were staying as it is well away from the road and not a large number of guests would be driving past.

I am glad you enjoyed your room service meal, I am confident our meals are of a very high standard (I eat here 3 or 4 nights a week myself - it's so good!), and it is fantastic to get the recognition. It is also great to see you recognised our fantastic staff as I do know they strive to ensure our guests stay meets their expectations and they enjoy staying with us.

Perhaps on your next stay you could email me directly and I can discuss your room requirements and recommend a suitable room so that we can ensure you enjoy staying with us next time.
Nelson, New Zealand
Reviewed 9 December 2012

I stayed at the Pavilions Hotel for five nights last week. Service was exceptional. Staff went out of their way to assist with making an effective working environment and accomodated an unexpected extended stay. Good room, no extra charge for parking and great location.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
Horncastle, General Manager at Pavilions Hotel, responded to this review, 10 December 2012
Thank you for your feedback, it is great to see you enjoyed your stay and that our staff provided you with our usual service that we pride ourselves on.

We look forward to seeing you again soon on your next stay.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 5 December 2012

I would not be calling this a hotel. Even a motel room has air-con. There are no ceiling fans or floor standing ones. The only option of a fan is a fan switch attached to a wall heater.

I had the double room (above the gym) which has a separate room/bathroom and a lounge area. The bathroom is lit with natural light so it is nice and bright but no bath. The shower ceiling in the slanted recess is so low and for a tall person this would cause a real problem having to shower and wash the hair - end up with a stiff neck. I am not that tall and my head felt close to the ceiling. The separate lounge/kitchen area is nice but there is no privacy because next to the front door there is a glass panel where everyone can see in. Not even a curtain for privacy. At night, you can see all along the corridor. The walls are so thin that I could even hear the guy snoring next door!!

I arrived into Christchurch on a 29 degree day and the room has not been aired so it was hot, stuffy and humid. Had to open all the tiny windows (old fashion style windows) and the front door just to get some fresh air circulating. Told by housekeeping that all rooms have no air-con. Couldn't believe this, I checked with reception - yep! NO air-con in any room!! The fridge is very noisy. The tv in the bedroom has no signals so nothing can be watched. The day I left was 28 degrees - another hot day so decided to leave early to hang around the airport - at least it is air-conditioned and much cooler.

The restaurant only does breakfast and dinner - no lunch service. The pool in the photo looks MUCH bigger than it really is - it is basically the size of a child's wading pool. The staff are very unprofessional - quite casual. The guy behind the counter took my bag up to my room (don't think he was the porter - do they even have one?). He didn't say a word to me - just took my bag and dropped it off at the door and walked out. Right! I will figure out the room myself.

Not a hotel as one would imagine - on a wet day, you will be soaked walking from your room to the breakfast area. They seem to have conferences so maybe that's their market? Didn't bother to wander around so not even sure if they have a spa. They do have a "spa" in that they mean a spa-tub style but not a spa as in massage treatments.

Asked for a map of the area - they gave me a photocopy of a copy - which of course turned out dark and black - hardly visible, so I didn't bother asking any more questions. Couldn't wait to leave. Will not be back. For the price of NZ$237 and the cooked breakfast at NZ$27 - I am sure there are better options.

Maybe for a night? Maybe not. It's about 20-25 mins from airport. Taxi ride costs me $40-$45 one way. They told me it's 10-15 mins walk to the left towards city and 10 mins walk to the right to Merivale. To be fair, the towels were clean and fresh. The bed and linen clean but the room is dated, the property needs a lift.

Room Tip: Not sure if I have any tips for this place apart from I personally would not choose it again
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Tweetcoz
It is important that we receive feedback of all types so that we constantly improve our service and meet our customers' expectations. Some of your feedback has helped us make improvements to ensure our guests' satisfaction.

It is very rare that it is hot in Christchurch at all where you would need airconditioning - (perhaps 10 days at the most per year). We do have fans available at reception on request for these days.

You are correct we do not serve lunch, however we do offer a 24 hour room service menu and this menu can be either delivered to the room or enjoyed in our restaurant, bar or courtyard.

We do have a pool and spa. The pool is heated - it is not a lap pool and more a plunge pool and is heated from October - April. We also have a spa pool/hot tub or whirlpool (depending on which country you are from (there are different terms used for this all over the world).

We do offer printed maps of the Christchurch CBD at reception. Unfortunatley due to the change in the areas open in Christchurch ie 'red zone' area etc. we are having to make and develop new maps all the time - we find it best that we give you an up to date copy that has the area that is accessible and the streets that are easiest to get to. We apologise this was not clear.

You are also correct that we do not have covered walk ways if it were to rain during your stay, however we do have umbrellas located at the end of each wing for this reason.

Thank you for pointing out about the window in your room and we have addressed this immediatley by replacing it with tinted glass so that you cannot see into this room - it is often the most simple things that can be overlooked and it helps when they are bought to our attention. It is surpising though you mention regarding the room being noisy - as these rooms are concrete blocked which keep them very quiet as well as very warm.

We also appreciate your feedback regarding the cleanliness of our rooms it is something we pride ourselves on and it is great to be noticed.

I do hope that you will give us another try next time you are in town, we do have many room types and perhaps a different roomtype would better suit you on your next stay.
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 4 December 2012

Most of the people serving in this hotel should not be in the hospitality industry especially the bar (both bar men) and most of the front desk. Left me with an average impression of hotels in Christchurch... I looked longingly at the ones that had "No Vacancy" signs.
Otherwise the actual infrastructure is great and rooms fine... Ooops forgot to mention... housekeeping were great thanks you.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank JDNZ1
Horncastle, General Manager at Pavilions Hotel, responded to this review, 5 December 2012
Thank you for your feedback on our family owned hotel. Its nice that you recognised the infrastructure of the hotel and rooms are good and it is so great to hear such good news on housekeeping, which we consider to be superior to most hotels.

It surprised me for you to comment on our bar staff - and 'some' front desk (so some were good)? It is important that I find out which employees were on during your stay and what particularly happened for you to make such a derogatory comment. Is it possible that you private email your date of stay and some general idea on what happened in the bar for you to comment in this way - my email is debbie@pavilion.co.nz . If you looked through most of the reviews on this site you will see positive feedback about our friendly staff and therefore I wonder what mishap had happened for this to appear?

We would really like you to give us another try next time you stay please let me know so that I can personally can assure your stay can meet all of your expectations.
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 30 November 2012

The photographer who took the website shots should get an award!

Our room was a standard room booked through hotels.com ($118 US). It was tiny and dark with a dated industrial/hospital room feel. It overlooked the carpark and the door to the laundry room. The bed was uncomfortable. The heater, despite turning on, gave off no heat.

It seems that this hotel is presenting itself as an elegant establishment. It is NOT. We have stayed in motels/hotels in NZ (major cities and rural) that are significantly nicer for the same price.

In reading some other reviews, I think the rooms must vary alot in quality. Ours, likely, was at the lower end of that scale.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
I was extremely surprised and sorry to hear the feedback on your stay and our rooms. As your pictures seem to represent a quality that is what is placed on our website for a standard room - I am surprised you didn't see the likeness in what you chose.

In addition we are located in an area where you have the luxury of being to have free parking outside your room with no charge. We are not a high rise and therefore do not have views. However in Christchurch at this time that seems to be very much a positive to most if not all guests.

You are correct our rooms do vary in quality and you you can see this on our website.

We haver never received any comments stating that our beds are uncomfortable - infact the extreme opposite as you would see from all reviews on this site. All of our beds have very comfortable underlays and guests on checkout often ask about this.

The guest laundry is an advantage to all that stay as many enjoy being able to do their own laundry during their stay, it is only open from 9am-9pm so does not bother other guests during their stay.

Finally regarding your heating - we are a 24 hour service and if this was a problem you should of contacted reception to address this issue, perhaps the setting was not adjusted properly. In any case we are addressing our heaters in the extreme near future so this will not be a problem.

If you are in Christchurch again if you email directly debbie@pavilion.co.nz I can ensure that you have a room type that would be more suitable for your needs and ensure your stay is up to your expectations.