Chateau on the Park - Christchurch, a DoubleTree by Hilton
Ranked #16 of 146 Hotels in Christchurch
Reviewed 24 April 2008

Having read the other reviews we were very disappointed. Our room was tiny and overlooking the car park - there were 4 of us - 2 kids and 2 adults. When I asked for a bigger room I was informed that all rooms were the same size! When I booked I paid an extra NZ$40/night for a "family package" advertised as a family room with breakfast. The room we were given was a standard 2 x double bed room. When I complained I was informed that they did not have any family rooms - the family rooms were the standard rooms - they had not even provided a cot which I specifically requested on booking. The guy on reception told me I had a very good rate to include breakfast - which wasn't really the point. I would never have booked here if I knew they didn't have any family rooms. I could have made a bigger fuss but I decided not but I was very annoyed.
I found a plank of wood under the bed with nails sticking out of it which had obviously been part of the bed - someone must have known it was there! Luckily I found it before my 14 month old - I took it straight down to Reception but no one was particularly interested or concerned - I left it with them.
The waitresses at breakfast were very miserable on the days we were there (3 days in all) and did put a bit of a downer on the mornings. We felt that there was some bad stuff going on between the waitresses. One morning one of them actually slammed the coffee cups down and was muttering under her breathe.
The man who drives the shuttle bus was very jolly and helpful and provided us with a baby seat however on the way back despite promises this was not on the return bus.
The cat was nice!
I would not recommend this hotel for families.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled with family

Reviewed 10 April 2008

We stayed at the Chateau for 2 nights, We originally had reservations for the Deluxe room but upon check-in they had upgraded us to the Premier room. The room was huge! A king size bed with a table and 2 chairs and television on a dresser with a nice size bathroom. They also included robes and slippers for us while we staying at the hotel.

They have a wonderful pool next to the garden area surrounded by hedges.

We only had to walk across the street to enjoy Hagley park and its wonderful river running through it. Lots of space to explore and relax.

We didnt want to eat at thier pricey breakfast buffet so we asked the coincerage if she had any breakfast dining suggestions and she could not of sent us to a better place! On Riccardon road is a cafe called "Ground Floor Cafe". If you are looking for value and taste for your money, this is the place to go! Wonderful food!

The front staff also was very helpful in showing us the best way to get downtown as well as where to park for our tram tour dinner at cathedral station.

We also ordered room service from their lunch resteraunt, although they took awhile to get it ready, it was very tasty.

They also have a mascot cat for the hotel named Sebastion. Cute cat!

This is the perfect hotel for exploring christchurch and staying outside the downtown district.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank OrangeBlueCrew
Reviewed 29 March 2008

This hotel is value-plus, and a nice experience to boot. I'm a crusty business traveller with a hundred hotels in the last 20 years, and I find the best ones are spotless, friendly, functional, professional and have an X-factor. The Chateau is all of these. For the price ($150NZ inc full bfast), it's wonderfully bizarre to be doing emails (good broadband, but low limits) on Room 248's balcony overlooking an immaculate rose garden listening to a classical guitarist entertaining a Saturday wedding party. Remarkable. (I haven't touched the free bottle of champers yet either!). The frequent free shuttles to the centre of Christchurch and the airport are A-grade, and the staff have all the people skills. Look for a room overlooking the rose garden. I wouldn't fancy one looking at the outside car parks. This morning I wandered through the Botanical Gardens on the 15 minute walk to the city centre. If that doesn't lift your spirit nothing will. It's magic. Best bits: Location, price, standard, free shuttles, and a sense of dealing with nice, real people, not just a business that runs hotels. No bad bits that I could find. Booked them through Needitnow.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled on business
3  Thank BiotechDoc
Reviewed 28 March 2008

We stayed here for three nights. The grounds of the hotel are lovely, and the pool is decent. Unfortunately we couldn't take advantage of the nice garden views, as our room overlooked the car park and didn't even have a balcony. The room itself was pretty standard - clean and comfortable, but the decor definitely hadn't yet been updated as some of the other rooms had.

The breakfast was included in our rate and was good - service was friendly and efficient. The front desk personnel were also very helpful and efficient. Internet access is available at a reasonable cost with two computers in the lobby area.

One of the reasons we elected to stay here is their free shuttle to and from the railway station, which saved us four trips in a cab. While the hotel is not located in the city centre, it's a very pleasant 15-20 minute walk (unless you get yourself turned around) through the park. The hotel also offers a shuttle to Cathedral Square for most of the day.

We also had the pleasure of meeting the manager, Sebastian the black and white cat, who oversees everything with a friendly, yet typically feline aloofness. He can be softened up with treats, though!

All in all, we'd stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SeattleElikapeka
Reviewed 22 March 2008

I had a reservation for a de luxe refurbished room and when I sent details of my likely arrival time I received an e mail back saying that I had been allocated an 'Executive Suite'.

On arrival I was given room 202 which I think is in the Avon Wing and I have to say that I have never seen a hotel room like it my life in a hotel of a similar standard. The bedroom was circular with only a very small window similar to that on cruise ships and it was mostly covered by a large tree outside. I could only describe the bedroom as gloomy, dark, depressing, eerie and spooky. It would have been well suited to Dracula's Castle. The living room was small and looked as though it had been furnished in the 1950's. Space for clothes - very limited.

Whoever dropped me in that room for a 5 day stay has a lot to answer for in my view. I did send a critical comment of this room to the Executive Manager of the Chateau on the Park 2 weeks ago which was balanced by other favourable comments re the hotel but have not even had the courtesy of an acknowledgement.

I complained to reception about the mis-allocation of the room and to be fair they were absolutely brilliant and I was allocated room 262 in the Hagley Wing. A really nice good standard hotel room which you would expect from a 4* hotel. A good sized room with a balcony that overlooked the swimming pool - at a guess one of the better rooms in the hotel.

Quite frankly if I hadn't been able to get a room change I would have gone elsewhere - something I have never ever done.To spend one night in room 202 would have been a nightmare to me. The irony of the situation is that in the hotel's view I had moved to an inferior room and got a refund of £155! Either the hotel or me has got it badly wrong!

On the positive side the hotel is nicely located, about 5 mins away from the city centre by car where there is plenty of parking. Or a 15/20 min walk through the very pleasant Hagley Park into town. The largeRiccarton shopping centre is only 5 minutes away.There is a very large hotel car park albeit in various sections and a decent restaurant and bar. Without being too sexist, the waitresses, virtually without exception are very good looking as well as being efficient - nearly compares favourably to the Sheraton, Perth in this respect! It is necessary to make a reservation for dinner as the hotel does get alot of coach parties.

Overall this is a nice hotel with attractive gardens and a nice pool. Two internet connections/ screens in the hotel lobby. However if you are staying more 2 days + I think it is very worth while clarifying exactly what type of room you have. I have stayed here twice and both occasions the room allocated was not as reserved. Probably try and avoid the Avon wing which seems to be in need of a refurb and certainly avoid room 202 unless you like shall we say quirky rooms.

I had 3 great weeks in South Island but seeing this room will I am afraid be one of my abiding memories of the holiday.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 March 2008

Great Location - free golf on Hagley Park and the service was great too. Only stayed for a 3 nights but staff were very helpful and the rooms nice and large and had a good view too. Pool isnt the largest but if your time it right then get there when no one else is. Didnt eat in the restaurant or brekfast as not included. Place just had a nice relaxed feel to it with a very handy location. Stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MikeONS
Reviewed 23 February 2008

Stayed here with our two children for one night. It was perfectly fine for the night. It has a lovely setting and the staff are friendly although a little forgetful (had to ask 3 times for towels for the swimming pool and the fridge is our room wasn't actually turned on). The rooms were very clean, although a little on the small size for a family. Fine for a short stay.

It has a nice swimming pool and beautiful gardens. It is located across the park from the city centre and they do have bikes you can borrow from reception to ride through the park, although we didn't do it as the weather wasn't great.

Must mention the bar, very cosy for a quiet drink on a rainy night, we ate in here also as it was more casual. Again nice staff.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled with family