“Friendly and Comfortable”

Chateau on the Park - Christchurch, a DoubleTree by Hilton
Ranked #15 of 146 Hotels in Christchurch
Reviewed 2 July 2014

The room was showing signs of age and for a premium room there were a few strange omissions (only one bathrobe but two pairs of slippers, no minibar, poor selection of in-room teas, the most basic selection of TV channels I've ever encountered and charges for local phone calls) but overall it was very comfortable with french doors opening into a garden courtyard. The gardens and moat like pond are a feature of the hotel and once inside it's very easy to forget you are in a busy city. All the staff were friendly and efficient and Gary the hotel cat popped by and made himself at home. The restaurant is worth trying with good evening meals and lovely views of the garden during daylight hours. Location is handy as well with the Riccarton shops 15 minutes walk in one direction and the what's left of the central city 25 minutes the other way. There's free wifi too.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
bdm8161, Director of Sales at Chateau on the Park - Christchurch, a DoubleTree by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Thank you for your kind comments about our staff including Gary our lovely hotel cat.

I have passed on your comments regarding our premier rooms to our management team and we will discuss possible improvements or changes that can be made at our next management meeting.

Thank you for taking the time to post this review.

warm regards
Dorothy Pickering

Write a ReviewReviews (1,175)

Reviewed 26 June 2014

I cannot fault this hotel!! I stayed here for 1 night in June and I would of loved to of stayed for longer. It's 20 minutes away from the Airport which was around $44 each way. The rooms are huge and beautiful, 2 double beds in the room, everything is so clean and I was so happy with the service of the staff in the hotel and in the restaurant too. The hotel has the most amazing restaurant I had the lamb shank- perfect!The hotel also has a nice pool, I would of liked to have gone for a swim but I just didn't have the time. I am a UK Travel Consultant and will 100% be recommending this hotel to my passengers when they are visiting Christchurch.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for your kind comments about our hotel.

We are thrilled that you enjoyed our facilities. I have passed on your comments to our Executive Chef and our restaurant team.

Thank you for taking the time to post this review and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future and next time perhaps you can enjoy our pool.

warm regards

Reviewed 26 June 2014

This was one of the few places I've ever stayed that I felt I couldn't leave. It is awesome, the people are awesome and I can't say enough about it. Normally, I don't rave about hotels, even very expensive ones, but this one is different. The grounds were gorgeous and meticulously groomed, the people were like family and the hotel, though priced in the intermediate range, was incredibly well kept and spotlessly clean. It's only a couple of blocks from the Park and downtown. The food at the hotel was good though it wasn't one of the top assets for me. I would love to go back to this hotel again. We were there in September (early spring) and the tulips, camellias, daffodils, etc. were everywhere. Inside their koi pond was a nice touch too. It was just perfect. We were actually there a few years ago, but the selection only went back to 2013 so I wanted to make a correction on that.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Caroline C

Thank you for your positive comments and we are delighted that you enjoyed our hotel.

Our gardening team are very passionate and this reflects in our grounds.

Thank you for taking the time to write this review and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

kind regards

Reviewed 17 June 2014

Due to the earthquake, many upscale downtown hotels are not accessible. The Chateau was our alternative and it proved to be a reasonable choice. It is clean, well lighted, with a nice bar and good restaurant. Rooms are somewhat scattered out, but the corridors are well marked. Staff was friendly and helpful. Again, it might not have been my first choice, but it wouldn't hesitate to lodge here again for a short stay.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 1213pdg
bdm8161, Director of Sales at Chateau on the Park - Christchurch, a DoubleTree by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at our hotel.

We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay. Our hotel is set on 5 acres of landscaped grounds and some of our accommodation rooms are a couple of minutes walk away from reception but I am sure that you will agree that the views from these rooms are worth the walk.

kind regards

Reviewed 12 June 2014

This hotel is a little bit dated with its decor but still nice, rooms have some older furniture but the beds are still comfortable and provide a good nights sleep - The hotel seemed rather busy when I was there so must be a popular place, lots of conferences going on, I guess as they have lots of rooms in its complex its easy to accommodate all the people who come for conferences. The staff here are wonderful, from arriving at reception to check in, dining in the restaurant, drinking in the bar, and then checking out the staff were always friendly, helpful and went above and beyond for anything we needed. The restaurant food from the Hotel was pretty good, above average for a Hotel restaurant! We spent a whole night in the bar enjoying ourselves and making friends with the barman - Mike, one of the best staff at this hotel!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 June 2014

The ambiance is rustic but charming. The location is awesome - convenient to the city centre through a beautiful park and also close to other restaurants and groceries. The shower was fantastic. It was helpful to have a refrigerator in the room and plenty of space to enjoy dining in. While some areas need refurbishing, everything was clean and functional. We enjoyed an evening of doing our own laundry kept company by the friendly hotel cat. The desk staff was so helpful - arranging transport, answering questions and even shipping an oversize impulse buy to me to arrive in the US when I did weeks later. This hotel is a really good value in a relaxing setting.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

The hotel is in a good location for exploring Christchurch, Our room was well appointed, Very clean and surprisingly quiet, The staff were very friendly and always helpful, We had a very enjoyable time here and would be happy to stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2014