Chateau on the Park - Christchurch, a DoubleTree by Hilton
  • Restaurant
  • Room Service
Quest Christchurch(Christchurch)(Great Value!)
US$88
Argyle on the Park(Christchurch)(Great Value!)
US$84
US$85
Orbitz.com
  • Restaurant
1,237 results
All reviewshagley parkdouble treecity centrebotanical gardensnew zealandlovely hotelbeautiful parkduty managerhotel restaurantreception areavery pleasant stayroom was spaciousfree shuttlethe ground floorstayed here for one nightsouth islandearthquake
Reviewed 12 July 2009

This hotel needs a make over, the rooms are tatty. The towels are old, hard and grey, when I arrived there were no toiletries, they appeared later in the week! I spent an hour trying to get a print out of an email as the staff at reception gave me the wrong email twice. The service in the restaurant is diabolical - waited 45 minutes for our meal on two occassions!
Most worrying the door of my room was left open on 2 days so that it had been left open from cleaning till early evening - security of guests possessions should surely be a priority. Awful
The heating was good and the staff were friendly they just were not well trained

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank LWBE
Reviewed 21 June 2009

I would not recommend this hotel to anybody if they have money or valuables that they are hoping will be safe in their room while they are out. We had $200 stolen from this hotel and when we reported it to the front desk they were less than interested. We reported it to the police as well and while we got a report back from the police the hotel never followed up with even an apology, much less offer to at least refund us the price of the room. They did nothing. The hotel is pleasant enough but it ruined our long weekend in Christchurch and left us with a very bad impression of this hotel. I will never stay there again.

1  Thank KTB3
Reviewed 8 June 2009

There were many good reports about this hotel and that's why we decided to book with them dispite all the other better priced motels along more convenient locations in Christchurch.
We checked into our room and immediately find the balcony door was broken so before we touched anything I called reception to ask for a change of room asap. The reply I received was she will sent someone to come up and have a look at it - I don't want someone to come up and have it look at it while I'm here, I just want to settle in and give me another room and this someone can have a look at it for as long as they want. So as I suspected, someone came and had a look at it while we just sat there waiting. He eventually said it cannot be fixed - I'm not surprised! Then we had to call to change to another room again.
The room facilities were very minimal. There was no in-room brochures of facilities/services of the hotel. Of course I knew what they had to offer anyway, but the in-room information folder only contained room service menu and lacked the foundamental hotel information. This was somewhat annoying for me as we had to proactively ask for information from reception.
This hotel is said to have 24 hour reception, but when my mother called me from overseas at mid night, her call was answered by a rude staff telling her 'do you know it's mid night here?!' I don't think this kind of attitude was appropriate for a 24 hr reception.
One evening we returned just to find our bed made and towels replaced but no supplies replenished. I suspect they only half heartedly wiped down the bath room because the floor still had a few of my long hair. I then had to ask reception to ask for everything replenished and they even questioned me saying 'are you sure?' as if I lied about not having any supplies.
The hotel is also pretty old with no sound proofing. One night I heard some other guests running and screaming down the hall way and other guests opened the door shouting at them. Sometimes when we're just at the hall way opening our room door we can hear guests in their rooms talking or the sound of tv.
One last thing, there was no newspaper in the morning. Which hotels doesn't offer newspapers in the morning these days?
We had heard such good things about this hotel and thought it would be the best stay but we're totally disappointed with service and facilities available. We will not return again and would not recommend to anyone.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank eLasticbarbie
Catherine020, Assistant at Chateau on the Park - Christchurch, a DoubleTree by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2009

The guest should have been moved immediately rather than waiting for someone from the Maintenance team to have a look at the balcony door. This was poor judgment on our behalf.

With the regards to the phone call at midnight, as a matter of courtesy to our guests, before putting a call through in the middle of the night, we always ask overseas callers if the realise what the time is here.

Reviewed 19 May 2009

I stayed 3 nights in this hotel in March 2009 as part of a package tour of New Zealand and Australia, so cannot comment on the room cost but can make observations on the facilities etc and compare it to all the other 'same-standard' 3* or so hotels I stayed in.

The hotel is located in a quiet residential street off a busy main road and is a healthy 15 min or so walk from the town centre, but as it is via a park it is quite a pleasant stroll.

Overall, the hotel was very good with no significant negative points, with all the expected room facilities and cleanliness. The bathroom had a bath (some hotel bathrooms don't !) but there was no aircon nor safe-deposit box (you have to use the reception storage facility).

The is only 1 lift, and it is extremely small, but there is only a 1st floor there are only a few stairs to climb if forced....The layout of the hotel is very pleasant, with everything circling the dining room and bar, a large glass wall and 'moat' surrounds those central rooms making the walk around the ground floor facilities quite scenic.

The breakfast buffet was excellent, with a wide choice of quality foodstuffs and a eggs 'cook-to-order' section, something I like a lot. As there is not too much in the immediate vicinity of the hotel quite a few of us made good use of the bar food offerings, which were relatively adventurous and well-priced.

This a perfectly acceptable hotel for a stay in Christchurch.

• Stayed: March 2009
2  Thank LPWilliams
Reviewed 18 May 2009

My wife and I stayed at Chateau on the Park in Christchurch for 3 nights in April. Arriving on a midnight flight, it was very easy to get a taxi from the airport, which cost NZD30.

Check in was friendly and efficient, with the reception staff fully describing the hotel and facilities, giving us a map of Christchurch, advising of a free shuttle service available between the hotel and the city centre and also providing walking directions to get to the city centre.

Our Queen room was comfortable, an older style room but including TV, mini bar, tea/coffee facilities and heating/air conditioning. There was a restaurant and bar at the hotel, but we chose to dine at local restaurants and pubs instead. The decor of the reception area and outside of the hotel was a kitsch Georgian Revival style, including a suit of armour in front of one of the function room. It was set in a beautiful garden, which matched the style of the hotel.

Each morning, we walked to the city centre, which took 25-30 minutes across Hagley Park. Other facilities at the hotel included ample free car parking. We really enjoyed our stay here and appreciated the helpfulness and friendliness of the staff.

The hotel was clean and a good choice for a stay in this area, if you don't mind not being right in the middle of the central business district. I would stay here again and recommend this hotel as a modest, comfortable and affordable option.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple