I am appalled at how this place could possibly be rated #9 out of the motels/hotels in Christchurch! Not to mention it's lack of poor reviews. I have never felt misled by Tripadvisor reviews until we stayed here. We chose to stay here based on its positive reviews. I have no idea what these people are talking about and the only thing I can think of is maybe there is new ownership. From the beginning, nothing was right. The guy who checked us in barely spoke (other than uh-huh, um yea, ok, uh...) and had no recommendations (although they did have eating recommendations written on a dry erase board). Both were hard to communicate with, possibly bc English is not their 1st language? I don't know. Our room was horribly outdated and dirty appearing. There were stains scattered all over the carpet throughout the room. Mildew stains in the shower. Throw pillow that was on the freshly made bed w/ stains on it, touching where your head will be. Frosting on the cake was the wine glass in the cabinet that still had lipstick on the rim in multiple places. Gross. I have never been so disturbed with the cleanliness of a room. So much so that we tried to check out the next day despite it being a weekend and we had no idea who would have vacancy (this place was one of the only ones and now we know why). Unfortunately we were told that we would be charged 1 night for checking out early despite the deplorable conditions. They did offer to switch our room but we were not interested as we were so disgusted we just wanted to leave. I've stayed in cleaner hostels when I was in college. Furthermore, the walls are thin and you can hear every time even another room door opens or closes. Unfortunately there was someone having a party next to us and people were in and out all night with rhythmic bangs as they came and went. Not to mention the hideous blood red curtains which wouldn't have mattered if everything else felt clean. The owner didn't even understand what our concerns were. His response was that the rooms are cleaned daily. He did not understand that clearly the cleaning was deficient. And the mattress feels like you are sleeping on cardboard. Bottom line: this place just isn't worth it. I have never stayed in such a hole. And hope to never again. And it wasn't really even cheap. If only the owner would have been a little more understanding and let us move hotels maybe I wouldn't have been so scarred by this mess. I wouldn't recommend this place to my worst enemy. You can review my other reviews - I rarely give terrible reviews and this is by far the worst. Do not stay here....
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A castle-like 34 unit motel complex in the heart of Christchurch, set amongst beautiful rose gardens with swimming pool, spa pool, BBQs and children's play area. Experience award winning service and personal attention from Penny and Brian, AA Supreme Host of the Year Winners plus enjoy the uniqueness that is Camelot, from the spacious studios and suites to the extra large two story two bedroom Apartments and four bedroom Lodge. Check us out now! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travel Republic (UK), Agoda, Hotels.com and Booking.com so you can book your Camelot Motor Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western Camelot Motor Hotel Christchurch
- Best Western Christchurch
- Best Western Camelot Hotel