My husband and I booked this hotel for four nights. We wish we had not. First, the room which was an "executive suite" was small, dark and lacked ventilation. Elevators stop at the 11th floor and you need to walk two flights of stairs to reach their "suite level". Internet access costs 39 dollars for "24 hours". They fail to tell you that if you exceed a certain number of megabites, you will be charged per minute. The hotel uses an outsourced internet company, which was extremely unhelpful when we called for assistance. After four days, our internet bill was equivalent to one night's stay.
On our last day we asked for an extended check out and were told we would be charged 25 dollars per hour beyond noon. When I called the manager, he tried to bargain with me for 20 dollars for two hours over. After we agreed upon a no charge, we left the hotel at 12:15 due to harassing phone calls and housekeeping disturbance despite our arrangement with the manager, as well as the "do not disturb" sign hanging from our door knob.
Also, if you are booking this hotel to use their gym; it is dirty, dark, old and smells like socks. The website fails to mention that their gym is in fact in a separate building (you walk outside to get there).
The hotel tried to charge us 17 dollars per day for parking, but when we spoke to someone behind the front desk she said that 30 dollars total for a week is their standard charge for long term stay.
This hotel is a rip off. Its like being in a flea market where you are bartering for your items. This is by no means a luxury hotel. When I spoke with the manager (David) about these problems he responded with "that's how it is in New Zealand". We stayed on in New Zealand and went to better hotels, which clearly did not share in David's philosophy.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Christchurch is a long way from the Mediterranean - nevertheless, the opulence of an Italian High Renaissance Palazzo awaits you at the Heritage Christchurch. Designed by Joseph Clark Maddison and opened in 1913, the hotel is listed as a category one building on the Historic Places Trust Register, reflecting its status as a building of national significance. The hotel's grand design is fitting: after all, Christchurch is regarded as the Garden City, and is regarded internationally for its culture and refinement. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Agoda, Hotels.com, Travel Republic (UK) and Odigeo so you can book your Heritage Christchurch reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Heritage Christchurch Hotel Christchurch
- Christchurch Heritage Hotel