Having struggled to find this place, its tucked away in the corner of Cathedral Square behind the cathedral, because my GPS was trying to send me down pedestrian malls I eventually arrived at my destination. The hotel itself is split between two separate buildings that stand adjacent to each other. The Old Government Building looks very grand and houses the restaurant and bar on the ground floor. The other, more modern building, is where you find the main reception and the majority of the rooms are.
I had an executive suite on the 11th floor overlooking the back of the hotel. Set on two floors it featured a lounge and study area, bathroom and utility room downstairs and the bedroom was upstairs. It was all very nicely furnished in a modern style without being too trendy.
The staff were all very friendly and efficient, though the young guy who fetched my car round from the parking lot seemed to take ages. I was only going to put some more fuel in it, but the time it took him I could have driven to the service station, put the fuel in and paid and nearly been back at the hotel!
The breakfasts are superb and I felt spoilt for choice. There was a full continental buffet and a choice of cooked breakfasts too for a very reasonable price.
I only stayed here for one night, which left me no time to explore the area at all, so when I decide to return here I will seriously consider using this as my base. My only hope is I don't get woken early next time by five fire trucks attending a false alarm at an office block at the back of the hotel. The lights and sirens kept going for nearly half an hour.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Christchurch is a long way from the Mediterranean - nevertheless, the opulence of an Italian High Renaissance Palazzo awaits you at the Heritage Christchurch. Designed by Joseph Clark Maddison and opened in 1913, the hotel is listed as a category one building on the Historic Places Trust Register, reflecting its status as a building of national significance. The hotel's grand design is fitting: after all, Christchurch is regarded as the Garden City, and is regarded internationally for its culture and refinement. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Ebookers, Hotels.com, Ctrip TA, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L., Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Heritage Christchurch reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Heritage Christchurch Hotel Christchurch
- Christchurch Heritage Hotel