“It's ok”

Ranked #54 of 144 Hotels in Christchurch
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“It's ok”
Reviewed 5 September 2011

i stayed here for 2 nights in August 2011 and must say the hotel is quite alright. It's clean, quite close to the city centre and within walking distance, about 5 minutes, to the closest supermarket in Merivale.

Room itself is ok, not to say very contemporary and the hotel itself is set in English cottage building ala Victoria style.

I would recommend to friends travelling on some loose budget, but definitely not a place for budget and backpackers alike.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 29 March 2011

We stayed 10th and 11th February having made a last minute booking from a hotel in the same chain, which helpfully transferred our information and accelerated check in.
We were delighted to find 2 Queen beds in a very large room at a very good price indeed. We could have driven but we walked into town on the two evenings, we liked the walk very much and easily found places to eat so we are scoring "location" possibly higher than others might. The streets to the east re residential and quiet. Staff helpful and advice from front desk on how to find places was excellent.

It was good to hear the property came through 21st February in good order and is opening for business again this week. Our very best wishes to staff for the future.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
South Island
Reviewed 26 January 2011

When booking this hotel I had only one request, that was that the bed in the room was a Queen or bigger. We were pleasantly surprised when entering the room and finding a very large living/dinning room, 2 separate bedrooms each with a queen bed and a reasonable bathroom. There was a good size flat screen TV in the lounge area, and each bedroom had a smaller flat screen in it. This room would comfortably sleep 4 adults. You could add a couple of rollaway beds and still have room. Very nice for the $NZD110 per night we paid.
I do agree with a previous reviewer about the decor of this hotel. It is very tired, but that in consideration the housekeeping department do an okay job. Generally the room was very clean, but, the seal around the bath needed a bit of attention, pink stains in the corners that just needed a bit of scrubbing. Dust in places that would be easily cleaned. When turning down the bed, I found a stain on the bedspread up near where I would put my face. I removed the item from the bed and replaced it with the spare blanket in the cupboard. The next morning I left a message for housekeeping asking them to replace it, which they did. Although I suspect that it was taken away and washed as when we returned to our room, it had been serviced but the bedspread wasn't there. We went out again and on returning the bedspread was on the bed. I have no problem with this as I wanted, a clean bedspread, and that is what I got. Good service there. The housekeeping staff that we came across were quietly going about their job with out fuss.
Check in was okay. There was only one person on the desk (13:45 is when we checked in) which meant that we had to wait quite a while for the guest infront of us to be checked in. As we had no charges on the account other than the room and there was no one else at the desk, check out was a breeze. I do feel that the Reception staff could at least pretend that you weren't interupting their down time.They were pleasant enough, just no smiles or enthusiasum.
Didn't use the F&B options, so won't comment on that.
So...basically a no frills, old & tired but clean hotel with lovely well kept gardens. Good location as well even if you don't know the city.
My advise to the owners would be "SPEND SOME MONEY". This hotel is a gem it just needs some polish. I mean that it needs a serious refurb, but keep it in line with the style of the buildings.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MrsTails
Blenheim, New Zealand
Reviewed 10 January 2011

The hotel is conveniently located at the city end of Papanui Road which if you have a car, means easy access to the CBD, Riccarton, Northlands etc.

The rooms are very dated and I suspect have not been upgraded since the 1980s, except the three TVs which looked brand new. The rooms are reasonably tidy and quite comfortable. We stayed in a two bedroom unit and it was ideal for our circumstances.

The beds were OK but again need upgraded.

The hotel has wireless internet but it is very pricey. This should be included in the price.

But considering we only paid $130 per night on Wotif, this made the hotel excellent value for money for a family with young kids.

The three star rating is accurate - the hotel has no wow factor but is excellent value for money.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 21 December 2010

You can take a 15 min walk right into central Christchurch from here, but the rooms are quite old and there's no lift for the 2nd level rooms. Porterage service is available but not always.

Rooms are spacious, clean and tidy. The TV set in the room I was in was flickering. Counter staff is very friendly and helpful; breakfast was standard fare.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 4 December 2010

We were moved to this hotel after our originally reserved hotel had some maintenance problems. The 1st room we were put in had a musty wet shower curtain smell. Indeed, the shower curtain reeked like it has not been washed in a year. We requested a change of rooms and was put into a room with 1 bed and a pullout couch. The pull out couch had a thin thin mattress with holes and no linen/pillows/blankets. We asked for another room and was put in one that was like a little apartment. It had 2 full size beds, but it felt like someone had slept on one side of the mattress too long, as there was some unevenness when we slept in it. Again, the shower curtain reeked and it was changed promptly at our request.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Christchurch hotels

Queenstown
Reviewed 18 October 2010

Our group consisted of 3 couples in Christchurch for a few days golfing (and shopping for the golf widows). We each had a 1-brm suite, which was perefect for us - it enabled us to have our own space, yet we could all gather in one room to have an end of day catch-up and plan the evening's activities. The Cotswold is dated but my friends found that quite quaint. I was initially worried as I had stayed here probably a decade ago.and nothing had changed in terms of decor, However, my friends seemed to be happy and I managed a soak in the bath each night so I was easily pleased.

The hotel was central enough to walk to shops and to transport services so the girls could hit the shops. As we had a vehicle it was not necessary for us to be right in the cbd. There was a popular Thai restaurant amongs a cluster of others just a short walk down the road, where we had an enjoyable meal. We had takeaways from the Italian restaurant the next night which was part of that cluster - they do gluten free options favoured by hubby. The hotel very kindly provided us with crockery and cutlery. That is great customer service indeed considering they do have a restaurant on-site.

I was awoken early the first morning by a tour bus that parked and packed right outside our unit, but aside from that, and a couple of early departing guest, we were not disturbed by any noise.

It would not have been my first choice for accommodation, but overall the staff and customer service were great, and we enjoyed our stay. On that basis I would be happy to stay there again.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends