“Beautiful hotel, 5 min drive/20 min walk from CBD”

Heartland Hotel Cotswold
Ranked #55 of 144 Hotels in Christchurch
Northampton, United Kingdom
“Beautiful hotel, 5 min drive/20 min walk from CBD”
Reviewed 29 April 2012

This was the most beautiful hotel my husband and I have ever stayed in. Being British we very much liked the Tudor-style and period features, and although some comments about this hotel have said the decor is old fashioned, we didn't find this. We found the place to be very well equipped with extremely comfortable furniture. We had a 2 bedroom apartment which we shared with my in-laws and they shared our love of the hotel.

The hotel bar was very nice, the restaurant was fairly standard but a bit pricey. There is a pool but when we went it was not heated (which i had read somewhere that it was) and so we couldn't use it. The lady at reception was absolutely lovely and couldn't do enough for you- but the man that was there that day was a bit abrupt, almost to the point of a little rude. There is a free shuttle bus to the Antarctic Centre which leaves from outside the hotel so that is very handy. Also just up the road (north from the hotel) are a few shops, restaurants and takeaways.

Overall we loved the place and would not only stay there again, but recommend it to anyone coming to Christchurch. There aren't as many hotels around there anymore due to the earthquake, but the Cotswold was a very reasonable price in a great location.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank pigeon87
CotswoldHM, General Manager at Heartland Hotel Cotswold, responded to this review, 1 May 2012
Hello,

Thank you for your positive comments about Christchurch and the hotel.
To my knowledge the swimming was never heated, so I'm sorry for the inconvenience and confusion. I will also pass your comments to the Front Office team.

Thank you for your time and we hope to welcome you again.

Patrick Moittie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 26 April 2012

Reception - Friendly and efficient

Rooms - Simple, clean and 'huge'. Only setback when staying in a two bedroom unit which we did - There is no entrance door in one of the bedroom. Though there is a common door that one can close en route entering the bedroom, it's also the way to the bathroom with its own entrance door, thus either one closes the en route door and everyone needs to knock on the door when using the bathroom or seeing each other walking in/out of the bathroom cos is directly opposite of the bedroom.

Comfortable but not for people when privacy matters.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank dragon451
CotswoldHM, General Manager at Heartland Hotel Cotswold, responded to this review, 20 May 2012
Hello ,

Thank you very for your feedback and comment about a door for the second unit.
This is a very intersting point of view, the shape of the archway don't make things easy but I will investigate some possibilities.

melbourne victoria
Reviewed 8 April 2012

I stayed at this motel at the start and finish of my tour.I found the staff very welcoming and helpful.i would recommend this motel to everyone.meals very good ,room very good ,gardens lovely.sorry i didn't get to meet the resident cat.would definitely stay again if i was to go back there.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
CotswoldHM, General Manager at Heartland Hotel Cotswold, responded to this review, 12 April 2012
Hello ,

I'm happy to read that you enjoyed your stay in our hotel.
The cat is very well but enjoying the freedom of wondering around !!!

We hope to welcome you again.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 29 March 2012

My wife and I only ate here, choosing the Tudors restaurant which had a nice relaxed atmosphere and very quaint and comfy bar for after dinner.
The food was fantastic and particularly the Beef Wellington that was on the specials which stands out in the memory as a top meal.
The service was great and because of the warn reception we used the bar even when not eating.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Dan W
CotswoldHM, General Manager at Heartland Hotel Cotswold, responded to this review, 1 April 2012
Hello,

Thank you very much for your positive comments about our restaurant and bar.
I will pass them to the restaurant team.

Blue Mountains National Park, Australia
Reviewed 27 March 2012

Stayed two nights, comfortable rooms, clean and tidy. Excellent food reasonable prices

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
CotswoldHM, General Manager at Heartland Hotel Cotswold, responded to this review, 29 March 2012
Hello,

Thank you very much for your positive comments.
I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us.

Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 17 March 2012

I overnighted here on a business trip. I stayed in an annex out the back - a 2 story block of 8 or 10 units.

The room was very roomy for just me and nice and clean. The fitout is getting a bit tired but is still acceptable and the big TV helps make up for it.

Staff were very friendly and helpful handling a couple of the usual traveler requests.

The biggest negative is the walls seem thin - at night I could readily hear a TV in a neighbouring unit and later could here someone in another unit snoring. That had me regretting that I didn't have any airline earplugs with me! The false fire alarm at 2.50am really finished things off on the sleep front but I guess that doesn't usually happen.

I'd stay again but would definitely take ear plugs.

Breakfast was usual standard hotel buffet fare, probably a bit better done than usual at this price point.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
CotswoldHM, General Manager at Heartland Hotel Cotswold, responded to this review, 19 March 2012
Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to write down your experience.

Firstly let me apologise to you about the false fire alarm and yes, as you mentioned, that don't happened often !
Our Tudors style furniture is currently being revarnished room by room and I hope the new look furniture will get your approval.

Thank you for your positive comment about our breakfast

I hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you again.

Bournemouth
Reviewed 28 February 2012

Our 'room' was enormous! We had a separate bedroom, bathroom and lounge area. The bedroom was cosy and had its own TV, and the lounge area had a huge flatscreen TV and plenty of seating and space. It was clean and nicely decorated as well. We wish we'd been staying here for longer than the one night stop-off before our flight!
Our dinner was great - delicious food and good service.
We only had an hour or two in the evening to look around outside, and we couldn't find too much to do. All we wanted was a nice pub, and we could only find one after walking around for about 40 minutes. But it was a Sunday night, and you might have better luck than us!
Breakfast was OK, but we were disappointed that they wouldn't allow us in a few minutes early (we had an early pick up for the airport and were literally queuing outside with a few other people until they opened the doors).
All in all a good stay though, and I'd definitely recommend it for a longer break.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
CotswoldHM, General Manager at Heartland Hotel Cotswold, responded to this review, 1 March 2012
Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay.

I'm pleased to read that you enjoyed it.
Please accept my apologies for the disappointment about the breakfast time as we always try to accommodate request as much as possible, even if its to prepare a box breakfast.

I hope we will have the pleasure to welcome again in Christchurch.
Regards