“Best place to stay in Christchurch” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Heartland Hotel Cotswold

Heartland Hotel Cotswold
Ranked #53 of 148 Hotels in Christchurch
Wellington, Wellington, New Zealand
“Best place to stay in Christchurch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2012

Romms are the best soft beds, soft pillows and a wonderful little surprise on arrival. Staff very friendly they really know what customer service is all about.

I try never to stay elsewhere when in CHCH

Room Tip: I have stayed in a number of rooms here and found all to be great
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
CotswoldHM, General Manager at Heartland Hotel Cotswold, responded to this review, 14 December 2012
Dear Robin M,

Thank you very much for your comments.
We care for your guests and I'm glad that you felt it.

We look forward to welcome you again.

Pattrick Moittie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Westport, New Zealand
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2012

I booked my room online and picked a studio unit with a bath. On arrival to my room I found No bath, no toaster, no kitchen facilities or even a knife, bottle opener or plate. I queried the fact that there was no bath and told the receptionist that was the whole reason for choosing this room. Well only some rooms have baths . As for the kitchen facilities, you got the type of room you chose and this room does not have any kitchen facilities. I found her tone to be condescending and uncompromising. I consider that I should have been offered another room with the bath if one was available or else offered a refund on my prepaid accomodation, so that I could get what I wanted elsewhere. I found the whole experience totally distressing.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
CotswoldHM, General Manager at Heartland Hotel Cotswold, responded to this review, 29 November 2012
Dear Gail D,

I'm very sorry to read your comment and please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience.
I do understand your reaction and the lack of empathy is not acceptable.
Unfortunately with online bookings it is very often impossible for the hotel to remburse directly the guest, you need to go through the booking website.

Should you wish to give another chance, please feel free to contact me directly.
Thank you and once again my sincere apologies

Patrick Moittie

Travellers are raving about these Christchurch hotels

Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2012

Christchurch needs all the visitors it can get, the devastation in the city is heartbreaking, the CBD has effectively gone. The Cotswold is a large rambling place with a mock Tudor theme and oddities abounding. The room was huge and well laid out and you don't have to sit on the bed to watch TV. We had two bedrooms. There are limited washing machines available. In a road with several motels, I would stay here again. Good buffet breakfast.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
CotswoldHM, General Manager at Heartland Hotel Cotswold, responded to this review, 21 November 2012
Dear Chase_Mollys

Thank you for your lovely comments about Christchurch and the hotel.
The city is busy rebuild itself and visitors are welcome.

Thanks

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2012

Warm service, clean and well equipped room, Quiet considering location which by the way is central for most parts of Christchurch. Rooms are based around a square courtyard which fronts onto the Papanui Road. We booked a special directly from the website which included breakfast which was really good value for money.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
CotswoldHM, General Manager at Heartland Hotel Cotswold, responded to this review, 8 November 2012
Dear Alison C,

Thank you for your positive comments.
The photo attached speaks a thousand words.
Thanks you

cornwall
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2012

This is the first bad review I have ever written. The room we were given was away from the main complex and was a row of ground floor flats. When I put the key in the slidding patio door to gain entry the door just slid open as the lock was loose. The smell that greated me was a mixture of vomit and stale booze. The bed was so lumpy and uncomftable that I was at first thinking of sleeping on the floor. When I complained the staff said "this is what you get when you pay for a lower priced room" they would upgrade me for $150. I informed them that I had spent 20 days travelling New Zealand in rooms of the same price and they were all very nice. They would not give me a refund or another room for the same price and I was not prepaired to stay there with my wife, so we left without a refund and found another hotel which was far cheaper,cleaner and of better standard. I have travelled the world and this was the worst room that has been offered to me anywhere. Maybe i was unlucky but I thought I should write to warn others

Room Tip: find another hotel
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mathewmathew
CotswoldHM, General Manager at Heartland Hotel Cotswold, responded to this review, 4 November 2012
Dear Mathewmathew,

I wish to apologise for the poor experience you had.

I'm puzzled about your comments and horrified by the feedback you received.
As I would like to get to full picture, could you please contact me directly at
patrick.moittie@heartlandhotels.co.nz

I look forward to hear back from you.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2012

I stayed in a triple room (3singles) quite a large room, a little worn but very cozy and quiet. We were at the back and had to lug our bags upstairs, but the room was worth it for the large windows, bathroom and big flat screen tv. No free Internet though. We decided to stay in Christchurch rather than further a field as the local businesses are trying to recover after the earthquake. It was an interesting place to visit and I will be back to compare the reconstruction with this visit. Good luck Christchurch!

Stayed October 2012
Dear Auntydence,

Thank you for your positive comments about the hotel and Christchurch.
The city is getting back up and every week a business re open or a new one starts.
It's exciting time for all of us

Houston, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2012

Ended up staying here for one night as all the hotels that seem to be decent were destroyed in the earthquake. So I booked here as the reviews looked good. All I can say is thank goodness is just one night as this place is nothing to write home about. Just as a frame of reference I stay in hotels over 250 nights a year with my business all over the world. I have the highest membership at Hilton's, SPG (Westins, Sheratons etc.), Marriott and Inter-Continental hotels so I know a thing or two about hotels. First the check in. Asked for a later check out and was told no as the place was booked and I had to be out of the hotel by 10am. This has only happened twice in 16 years of traveling. So no is no here. So I was told I had to pay for the internet which is normally free in most hotels. Then I was told it’s a free for all regards to parking. So there is no allocated parking spot for your room. I called down and asked for ice and could someone bring it to my room. Was told I needed to come down to the reception and grab a plastic bag go across the courtyard climb a set of stairs and you'll find an ice maker. Also there are no elevators here. I was lucky there was a young lad in the parking lot seeing who asked if he could take my large bag to my room. Finally service from someone!. I gave him a tip. So now I booked a suite. The room was big but tired and bar far the worst suite I've had in New Zealand and bar fare the most expensive. The other suites I had was the Hilton in Auckland and Lake Taupo and the ITC in Wellington all 5 star hotels, all better, all cheaper and all had better service. The rooms need updating. A large screen TV is nice but only has a few chanels. The couch, bathroom and bedroom are all old and worn out. Basically the furniture and comfort that you would find in your grandma’s house. After a long day you want service and comfort so you can rest and this place does not deliver on both. Next let’s take about dinner. Soup and wine was good but dinner Beef wellington was crap left most of it. Sent it back the first time as it was undercooked next time it was tough I couldn’t cut it with a steak nice. If it was good I should be able to cut it with butter nice. Lastly after not eating dinner I ask the guy at the front desk for a menu or the local indian for take out. Was told dont have one walk up the street its a five minutes walk. This is a basic for any hotel/motel. As a world traveler would I recommend this place? Absolutely not! Dont waste your money this place is nothing to write home about and should be a one star and have one star prices.New Zealanders dont put up with crap.

Room Tip: Fine somewhere else to stay
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
CotswoldHM, General Manager at Heartland Hotel Cotswold, responded to this review, 1 November 2012
Dear Andrew N,

Thank you for your review.
Firstly, allow me to apologise to you for the poor service you have experienced.
Our star rating comparing to the hotels you normally frequent, do not excuse any of your points.

I will presonnally take your constructive points to the team in order to review our internal procedures.

Once again, I want to thank you for sharing your point of view from a world well travelled guest.
Should you wish to carry on this conversation, please feel free to contact me directly at
patrick.moittie@heartlandhotels.co.nz

I hope to have the pleasure to welcome again in Christchurch