“A great experience”

The George Christchurch
Ranked #5 of 146 Hotels in Christchurch
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 14 December 2007

Spent six days at the George, could not have been more satisfied. The service was exceptional, room was great, food was excellent. Staff responded to our every need. The hotel is located next to a an immense park in a superior part of the city. You cannot go wrong at the George.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled on business
2  Thank breeze_of_wind
There are newer reviews for The George Christchurch

Reviewed 4 December 2007

We stayed at the George Hotel on our Honeymoon through New Zealand.

Room: very well appointed, clean, quiet.

Location: great location. easy to walk to some wonderful restaurants, museums, cathedral, and the gardens.

Staff: simply fantastic. performed well beyond our expectations. The concierge staff truly made our stay memorable, helping us arrange for special tours of the city and Akaroa (a must visit if you are visiting Christchurch, BTW). Also, our stay overlapped with our my birthday - the staff worked with my wife to arrange a surprise birthday gift for me. The staff simply made our stay absolutely fantastic!

Restaurant: excellent food. Again, the staff were absolutely wonderful. One morning we were running late for our tour through Akaroa. We stopped by their restaurant and mentioned that we were running late. They quickly put together a vegetarian sandwich, gave us some bottles of water and sent us on our way - a small detail, but these are often what makes the difference when staying at a hotel.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank travels21
Reviewed 30 November 2007

Spent four nights here. The room was excellent, with very comfortable bed, and quiet. We ate one breakfast in the coffeeshop and never went again as it was so noisy and the service was not good enough, so we went down the street. Had room service one night, which was excellent, with goood cuisine.
Free washers and dryers were a great bonus for us on a long trip.
The George was expensive and did not have much character - just an unimaginative modern building that did not radiate much charm. It's fine if you want clean and comfortable and are prepared to pay for it.

• Stayed: April 2004
Reviewed 7 November 2007

My wife and I love holidaying in New Zealand and we really enjoyed our 3 nights at The George on this our first visit to Christchurch.

The stay was not without incident however. I had made the booking by calling the hotel directly and they offered me a suite which they described as their best room. What they didn't tell me was that the room was in the older part of the hotel known as "The Residence". That must be hotel-speak for "old house joined to the hotel by a walkway". They have other suites in the main building but they didn't offer me one of these and I didn't know to check.

As soon as we got to the room I realised that it didn't look like the pictures on the hotel's web site. The furniture was more "classic" then "contemporary" and the old wooden floor was creaking as I walked around. I called reception and they explained that the hotel has two types of suites and we were in the type that hadn't been refurbished. They offered to move us for our second and third nights as they were fully booked on our first night. I accepted, however instead of choosing to move to a suite I chose a junior suite, also in the main building, because these had been fully upgraded about a year before. We were very happy with the junior suite. The bathroom was modern and the bed, a European king, was large and comfortable.

Our experience at The George was greatly enhanced by two things. Firstly one of the concierges - Daniel - was just outstanding. Previously our favourite concierge experience occurred at The Peninsula Beverly Hills - where they seem to know everything there is to know and can organise things for you with little notice. However we think Daniel at The George bettered that. Nothing was too much trouble for him. By way of a quick example, one morning I asked him to direct me to a nearby photographic store so I could burn our digital camera's memory stick to CD and free up some space. He did so but then offered to bring in a CD from home and burn the images for me if I wished. On another occasion I was heading out to a meeting (I had some work to do in Christchurch) and I asked Daniel a question. He could tell that I was in a hurry so he offered to walk with me down the street to my meeting and answer my questions and then walk back to the hotel. There were quite a few examples like this.

The second thing that made our stay very special was the George's rated restaurant, Pescatore, and in particular the staff. We were travelling with our young daughter so in order to have a night out by ourselves we arranged a babysitter to look after her (asleep) in our room. So that we wouldn't worry about her or rush through our 6-course degustation, our waiter offered to go to our room and check on our daughter. He ended up doing this about 3 times during our dinner, each time reporting that he had spoken to the babysitter and that everything was fine, etc. As luck would have it, right at the end while we were having our tea and petit fors our daughter woke up and was upset (strange room, with someone she didn't know, etc). Our waiter told us the news and then picked up our cups and plates and followed us back to our room so that we could finish. This was just so thoughtful and the whole night was handled so well that we cancelled our dinner reservation at an outside restaurant on the last night and went back to Pescatore.

I run a service business and I know how difficult it is finding people that have a real understanding of service. In my view it is also impossible to teach this. So someone is hiring very well at The George. We'll definitely be back and are looking forward to trying the suites in the main building which should be refurbished before our next visit.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled on business
5  Thank SydneyHomer
Reviewed 26 October 2007

Egregiously overpriced. The rooms at this hotel are like a good motel, which makes the general up-itself-ness of the place really irritating. The staff don't seem to know anything (like how much is a taxi to the airport, for one of many examples), and don't seem to realise that it's the attention to detail that sets a quality property apart.

A friend had dropped flowers, champagne and chocolates off at reception for my arrival, and despite it being a quiet weekday afternoon the staff hadn't gotten around to putting the roses in water or the gift in my room. In fact despite arriving at close to 3pm they expressed surprise at how 'early' I was and made me wait while they 'checked' if my room was available.

The concierge made a big deal of how I'd just missed my friend by minutes and he hadn't had time to put the flowers in water. When I saw her later that evening and asked her what time she'd come by it was a full hour before my arrival.

The restaurant Pescatore was staffed by people who did not know not to intrude on your conversation to ask you for the third time did you want dessert (literally minutes after finishing eating the main). Also the local New Zealand wine was priced at around three times what you'd pay in a bottle shop.

Checking out I waited for ten minutes while, like keystone cops, three people ran around trying to remember where they had stored my bags for the two hours since I'd checked out. When the concierge made a patronising comment about my "worried expression", the friend I was with said, "no, that's your pissed off expression at how Fawlty Towers this whole thing is."

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled solo
2  Thank tellitlikeitis36
Reviewed 19 May 2007

This is the best hotel we stayed in during our trip to NZ.

My partner and I did a drive from Auckland down to Queenstown and this was our last stop before Queenstown.

We arrived and after being checked-in opted for a ride on the complimentary mountain bikes available at the hotel. Great ride and we included a drink stop. The best way to see the city.

Back at the hotel we had a shower and a drink before heading to the first floor gourmet restaurant. What a meal, best service, great food and fantastic knowledge by the waiter - both about the food, but also the wine. One of our best meals in NZ if not THE best.

Back in the room the hotel had placed George on the bed, George was the resident teddybear and he asked to go home with us - how could we refuse. George is now in our bedroom in London.

This is just a great hotel, contemporary, great service and fantastic food. Location could not be better.

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 March 2007

The George was our last stop over on our 22 day tour of NZ and having looked at the (overly fancy/hard to navigate) website we thought the George would be one of the nicest places we were going to stay, HOWEVER do not be fooled! The hotel is certainly not boutique, having stayed at a few boutique places in NZ during our stay and around the world this really was just a bog standard hotel that tried to make its reception and dining area look ‘cool’ by going down the ultra cool creams and lots of wood- we were not convinced! The actual building is very office blocky and not that pleasing to the eye- this place has no character what’s so ever.

Our rooms were very ordinary and the bathroom was such a let down, it was old and need modernising. The hotel must have recently gone through some refurbishments and they managed to do the rooms but not the bathrooms….VERY ODD!! In addition, our travelling companions room had as leak in the ceiling throughout the night.

Overall the service at the hotel was excellent, and the staff were very helpful. We arrived at about 7pm that evening to check in and wanted to make a dinner reservation, but were told that the restaurant was full. This was a shame as we felt that the hotel should allocate a number of tables for guests staying at the hotel. A HINT would be if you know you’re arriving late and won’t want to find something in town, ring up in advance and book a table at the restaurant. Despite this, a very friendly member of staff (Matt) provided us with a list of restaurants close by with their respective menus. We actually opted for room service in the end; but found that the portions were very small so make sure you order sides as the main portions are very small!!

The location of the hotel is pretty good, you are about a 10-15 min walk into the city and the tram stop is just around the corner if you prefer to use the tourist tram.

The hotel guests have access to a gym at one of the local health centres, but this is right in the centre of town and about a 10 minute walk from the hotel, so there isn’t actually a gym on site.

Overall-our stay here was pleasant but pretty average, the hotel is certainly not boutique, however the service was excellent!

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled as a couple