Don't get me wrong - this is a very nice hotel. Horrible to look at from the outside but once inside the staff are friendly, the rooms are fab and full of little modern gadgets (bathroom lights coming on automatically, that kind of thing).
However - Christchurch is a lovely leafy green city and having now visited, I do wish we'd stayed somewhere a little further from the main road, in a residential area, and somewhere family run. A lot of the houses in Christchurch are beautiful and full of character and compared to other big NZ cities, it's very green and leafy. Most of our honeymoon in New Zealand was spent in family run guesthouses, and they are so friendly and personable, I did miss this when staying at the George, which felt a little corporate.
The free teddy bear was a very sweet touch though and now sits in our guest room at home in London!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The George is the essence of supreme comfort. Its 53 spacious rooms are designed with a stylish eye for detail, complete with luxury amenities. With a one-to-one ratio of staff to guests, impeccable service is guaranteed. In 2013, 2012 and 2010 it was recognised as ‘New Zealand’s #1 City Hotel’ in Travel + Leisure World’s Best Awards, was New Zealand’s Leading Boutique Hotel’ 2006 – 2010 & 2012 – 2013 in the World Travel Awards. The George offers discerning travellers superb comfort and individual attention in an intimate ambiance. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Ctrip TA, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L., LateRooms, HotelsClick, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your The George Christchurch reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The George Christchurch Hotel Christchurch
- The George Hotel Christchurch
- George Hotel Christchurch