“Stay Here - you'll love it!”

The George Christchurch
Ranked #5 of 146 Hotels in Christchurch
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 14 October 2012

One of the best Hotels we have ever stayed in. The staff went above and beyond to make sure that our stay was amazing. We had endured an awful 24 hours leading up to our check in at The George and upon arrival, they took all the awful memories out of our honeymoon and turned it all around. Both the restaurants served wonderful foods, aong with the fantastic dining experience in their fine dining restaurant. Our first night, we dined in the fine dining restaurant and were treated to a 12 course meal that we are still comparing subsequent meals too even 6 months later. The concerge guided us on our day tour around a city that is rebulding itself with some wonderful ideas. The bed was so big we didnt touch each other for two nights and slept like we had never slept before on the amazing linen. They even gave us a gift upon our arrival that we have kept and wil continue to travel with in he future. Could not recommend this hotel enough to all that visit Christchurch.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 10 October 2012

This was a great Hotel. From when we walked in & were greeted by both the concierge & reception, we were made welcome. The concierge took our bags to our room & then proceeded to tell us when his next shift was so he could help us again. There was a teddy bear waiting for us on our bed! The restaurant was very nice & we had an excellent continental breakfast each morning. I can’t recommend it enough.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 October 2012

It is great to have somewhere to stay in Christchurch as the city is starting to re-grow and there is a great energetic buzz.

The George is a nice hotel - not really sure it is worth the extra money.

The good things: it is really comfortable - great beds. Nice rooms. Great staff who are really helpful. In particular - the concierge came out in the middle of the night to help me get rid of a spider - he was really great. The housekeeping staff are great too. The rooms are really clean and tidy. The bed turn down service is really thoughtful

Less than good - the food. Dinner was gourmet - ie sparse and poncey. (when I'm travelling I really need a big bowl of salad greens, not a few whisps of cress.) Gluten free toast was delivered mostly raw and soggy and slightly warm - I had to toast it myself in the toaster which burnt every slice.

The room was a bit noisy too - not much sound protection from the road.

summary - an OK place to stay - I would never complain about being sent to the George. But not sure if its really worth the money.

Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
TheGeorgeGM, General Manager at The George Christchurch, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2012

As always we appreciate guests taking the time to give us feedback on their visit. Such feedback allows us to constantly monitor our performance and helps us constantly strive to exceed our guests expectations.

I am glad that this reviewer found our staff to be friendly, helpful and efficient; and our rooms clean with great beds.

We regret that we did not manage to meet expectations with our dining provisions. We are very proud of the fact that our signature restaurant has been ranked by Cuisine magazine to be the top dining experience in Christchurch and equal top in the South Island. Our other restaurant, reviewed recently by independent mystery shoppers received unanimously favourable reviews with comments like “the portions for the meals were perfect and well presented”, “an incredible meal”, “a wonderful experience”, “a great dining experience”, and “absolutely superb food, the portions were great and the presentation excellent”.

Obviously everyone has a unique experience largely shaped by their expectations. Our restaurants do not market themselves as “cheap and cheerful”, with huge portions of budget ingredients. Our chefs use the finest ingredients, locally sourced whenever possible, and take great care to cook everything perfectly, then beautifully present. Our menus offer everything from club sandwiches and steaks through to 10 course degustation offerings.

As much as possible our team, when asked, match the expectations of our guests to an appropriate restaurant, often recommending other local restaurants if we think they are more in line with what our guests are looking for.

I can confirm that we do deliver our breakfast toast bread to the rooms in an “un-toasted” state, so that the guest can then toast it themselves in the room to their liking, being able to have it hot straight out of the toaster. I note that when this guest mentioned the issues with the toaster to our reception team on departure, they removed the breakfast charge from the bill. I have personally tested the toaster in question with both gluten free and regular bread and found no issues with the toaster. In fact on the lightest setting, it took three times to properly toast the bread.

Reviewed 27 September 2012

My wife and I stayed at Georges Christchurch last week and would thoroughly recommend it. Rooms were spacious and of high quality. Standard of service was very high and not obtrusive. Concierge Mark was particularly helpful. Would stay there again for sure when next in CC.

Room Tip: The views of Hagley park and the Garden of the Hotel are very nice.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rupertcolly
Reviewed 25 September 2012

I was booked into another hotel but after a 2week trip taking in 3 previous work stops the other one just didn't cut it. So I got work to transfer me to The George & it was the best descision I ever made. The staff, the facilities & the service all made sure I was not only able to complete 2.5weeks of travel & training engagements, but I was HAPPY to do it. So firm that I was in the knowledge that EVERYTHING would be exactly as I wanted it when I got back to the room. I wanted for nothing the entire time I was there & I can not say enough about The George. Please believe me I will be taking my sweet little george bear on future trips & can't wait for another opportunity to go back to Christchurch.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Angelique C
Reviewed 24 September 2012

Excellent hotel from the start to the end. They really know how to treat any customer, it was a really nice service and the hotel employees were really nice with each client.
Really good hotel and with some bars and restaurant around.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 September 2012

When I first arrived at the George and looked at the outside of the building I was a little surprised thinking that it would be grander and felt disappointed. This disappointment was left out the door once I walked inside. We were warmly greeted and shown to our lovely room. The shower was the best in New Zealand. Our five year old son was greeted warmly as well which was not the case in all luxury hotels we visited. We dined at Bistro 50 which we were led to believe was the lesser of the two restaurants, however the food was beautifully presented and the staff were friendly and helpful. My son even received pre-dinner canapes which is something we had not experienced in New Zealand and not even in Australia where we live. When we returned to our room George Bear was sitting on my son's bed. The whole reason we stayed at the George was for George Bear and my son was not disappointed. Thank you to all the staff for a wonderful room, wonderful food and for making us and our son feel very welcome. I would highly recommend The George Hotel to anyone visiting Christchurch.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family