“Pleasant Boutique Hotel”

The George Christchurch
Ranked #5 of 146 Hotels in Christchurch
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 3 March 2013

The hotel is probably the nicest of the area. We found the staff a bit stuffy, but efficient.
The breakfast was simple. The location is good. Sad to see the destruction in this town.
The great thing was have a laundry for the use of the guests. Rooms clean and beds and sheets nice. The hotel restaurant has a very nice dinner. I would certainly choose this hotel again.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view to the garden or the rooms with a terrace.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,452)

Reviewed 2 March 2013

Stayed at The George last month for one night en-route from Nelson to Queenstown. My fren decided on the hotel after reading about it being recommended on a travel magazine.
It is a quick 20 minutes drive from the airport and it wasn't very hard to get to.
However, as I stayed there for only one night, I am not very familiar with the layout of Christchurch so I cannot be absolutely sure about the location of The George to the city area, etc.
Check-in was relatively easy though parking was a bit of a more difficult. The carpark could hold probably 20 to 30 cars but it wasn't easy to get a lot. We had to park outside the hotel compound...where there was a "yard" but even the yard was full during the Saturday I was there. So we had to park by the side of the road (which was actually a dead end road) near to the Japanese embassy. I had to "illegal park" onto the pavement.
Firstly, the room was of a reasonable size. But the thing I want to rave about is the toiletries. Personally, the toiletries they supply is a good indication of the hotel's quality. But of course, better quality invariably means pricier hotels. The George toiletries were of a very good quantity. Sometimes hotels give you such small bottles you will probably finish it in a day when you shower twice a day and you are staying with your partner. Especially the shower gels. And the housekeeping don't replenish. So it can be a wee bit irritating. So the toiletries The George supplied were a good size. And they had small little thoughtful details like make-up remover wipes! This is definitely a first!
The rooms were updated and the light and air con controls were on a little small touch pad. The beds were comfy. I slept well.
The very interesting thing is that they give you a little The George teddy bear when they come by in the evening. I brought it home with me and now it's on my sofa at home. It was a wonderful surprise and undoubtedly a very good personal touch. Oh and if you are having a long holiday like I did, the complimentary laundromat is a very plus to have. I managed to do some laundry. It was located on the 2nd floor near to the function rooms I think. Cos I was walking there to collect my laundry and I nearly barge into a wedding couple going to do their walk in from the corridor of the laundromat.
My room faced a park and a private house. We had one little window opened and I could hear children laughing and a musician playing. I am not sure if it came from the private house or the park or the hotel cafe or something. But it was lovely. And it felt very English! I may be wrong, but there is a "famous" river in the park where the boats are rowed down the stream. I have seen it on TV but I didn't get the time to visit it.
Oh, and wifi is complimentary as well! Jolly good.
Ok, minus points was that maybe it was a Saturday and they were having numerous events such as the wedding and I also spied a birthday celebration going on, my phone calls to order room service went unanswered. I had to call the receptionist to place my order.
There were numerous cobwebs outside the little window. But I did notice many cobwebs all over NZ. I guess this is a very common and natural "problem". We don't usually get that many cobwebs at home and when we do, it only means the place has been left untouched for a really really long time.
In any case, it is a nice pleasant hotel to stay in. So do come and give it a try.

Reviewed 1 March 2013

What can I say ? this hotel is perfect ! From the very friendly, efficient check in too the beautiful decor, everything about the George is just as you would expect and hope for.
Nothing is too much trouble, everyone is so pleasant and helpful.
Our room was spacious, beautifully clean, modern, relaxing furnishings, a bed that is beyond comfortable and to top it off, a "George Bear" to take home.
We loved our stay at the George and look forward to returning.

Reviewed 28 February 2013

Having thoroughly enjoyed our month long trip to NZ we had a pleasant surprise on our last night before returning to the UK.
I would have written about the welcome alone that we received when we arrived.
In fact the whole experience was excellent. The room was clean, comfortable. I wish I could have taken the bed with us and Teddy is now back home with grandchildren.
Restaurant was very good and the service throughout all areas of hotel life was excellent too.
Definitely a stop during our next trip.

Room Tip: Although I am sure there are nice views to be had from upstairs rooms we really enjoyed our ground-f...
Reviewed 24 February 2013

My husband and I stayed for one night on 22 December and were very lucky to be upgraded to a suite. The service at this hotel is most definitely the best around. The staff are friendly, helpful, professional and kind and nothing is a problem.

It is such a shame that there are not more hotels available at the moment in CHCH because The George is always at near full occupancy and if there were more we might get in more often.

Thank you to the George staff for giving us a wonderful stay - you should all be very proud of yourselves.

Room Tip: Book early!
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 February 2013 via mobile

We were in Chch for a very short weekend, for the occasion of my grandfathers 90th birthday.

The location across from Hagley Park and close by The Avon River is very picturesque. Unfortunately we didn't have more time to explore. The city centre seemed about 15min walk away, but a nice walk.

Service was efficient. We arrived at the hotel at 1 in the morning, and weren't exactly rushed through the checkin process...
The concierge arrange taxis was very helpful.

The rooms are very solid without too much in the way if design.
The bed was fantastic, extremely comfortable.
Nice little touch with teddy, George, to take home.

Probably a touch expensive, relative to other others, but not amazingly soz

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed 21 February 2013

Modern hotel with great amenities such as generous wi-fi, free laundry, and a stuffed bear named George to take with on your travels. We were upgraded to a suite with a partial view of Hagley Park. It is an easy/enjoyable walk to the Visitor Info Center which is adjacent to the museum and botanical gardens.

Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple