“Outstanding”

The George Christchurch
Ranked #5 of 146 Hotels in Christchurch
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 21 March 2013

Although my stay was brief the hotel was outstanding. A few minutes after I checked in I received a call to see if I would like a refreshing drink. On turn down there was a beautiful bear that my baby will love and will remind me of The George when I look at it. The food was great and the staff were wonderful. I was in the hotel industry for 16 years and have stayed in many. I know how important the little things make to a guests stay and this hotel have nailed it. I now have a new favourite and look forward to returning when I am next in Christchurch.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,448)

Reviewed 15 March 2013

Top service and lovely rooms, The George does elegance well. It's fully priced of course but nice once in a while. The building itself is old and not that attractive, but the interiors are lovely. Parking is free. Hagley Park is directly across the road for exercise & golf. The food is probably a little richer than your standard business travellers fare but great quality. The complimentary teddy bear (named George) is a nice touch.

Room Tip: The 'villas' out back of the main hotel have a homely feel.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 March 2013

This hotel was a real gem in a city that is trying hard to recover from the earthquake. From the moment you get to the hotel you are met with smiling faces and a can do attitude rare to find elsewhere. Rooms are lovely, modern and spacious and the hotel is very quiet. Staff are always on hand to help you out or provide insight on where to go and eat. The little touches of bottled water and the trademark George teddy you get on the first night really characterise this lovely hotel. Great food, great drinks, great staff, great location, I cannot recommend it enough.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 March 2013

The George is well worth staying in. Our room was really luxourious, spotlessly clean with very high quality toileteries and even George the teddy bear to take home! Staff were very friendly and the concierge made a great job of finding out what sort of meal we wanted to eat and suggested the perfect place - he even phoned and made a reservation for us. Christchurch is such an interesting place to visit - the earthquake could have taken the heart out of the city but it's inspiring to see how people are rebuilding their lives. There's a lot of work going on, obviously, and many places out of bounds still, but do visit - you won't be disappointed. The George makes the perfect place to stay while you're there.

Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 March 2013

Our recent visit to Christchurch was a shock as our previous visit was 4 years ago before the earthquake. The hotel we usually use was gone as were many buildings. We stayed at The George. This little hotel has big spirit. It survived the earthquake unblemished and its staff are very helpful and friendly. The service at breakfast was not good, we were somehow forgotten ! Otherwise it was good. The hotel is handy to the airport and we would use it again although it is quite expensive.

Room Tip: This is a peaceful hotel so I cannot add comment
Reviewed 3 March 2013

The hotel is probably the nicest of the area. We found the staff a bit stuffy, but efficient.
The breakfast was simple. The location is good. Sad to see the destruction in this town.
The great thing was have a laundry for the use of the guests. Rooms clean and beds and sheets nice. The hotel restaurant has a very nice dinner. I would certainly choose this hotel again.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view to the garden or the rooms with a terrace.
Reviewed 2 March 2013

Stayed at The George last month for one night en-route from Nelson to Queenstown. My fren decided on the hotel after reading about it being recommended on a travel magazine.
It is a quick 20 minutes drive from the airport and it wasn't very hard to get to.
However, as I stayed there for only one night, I am not very familiar with the layout of Christchurch so I cannot be absolutely sure about the location of The George to the city area, etc.
Check-in was relatively easy though parking was a bit of a more difficult. The carpark could hold probably 20 to 30 cars but it wasn't easy to get a lot. We had to park outside the hotel compound...where there was a "yard" but even the yard was full during the Saturday I was there. So we had to park by the side of the road (which was actually a dead end road) near to the Japanese embassy. I had to "illegal park" onto the pavement.
Firstly, the room was of a reasonable size. But the thing I want to rave about is the toiletries. Personally, the toiletries they supply is a good indication of the hotel's quality. But of course, better quality invariably means pricier hotels. The George toiletries were of a very good quantity. Sometimes hotels give you such small bottles you will probably finish it in a day when you shower twice a day and you are staying with your partner. Especially the shower gels. And the housekeeping don't replenish. So it can be a wee bit irritating. So the toiletries The George supplied were a good size. And they had small little thoughtful details like make-up remover wipes! This is definitely a first!
The rooms were updated and the light and air con controls were on a little small touch pad. The beds were comfy. I slept well.
The very interesting thing is that they give you a little The George teddy bear when they come by in the evening. I brought it home with me and now it's on my sofa at home. It was a wonderful surprise and undoubtedly a very good personal touch. Oh and if you are having a long holiday like I did, the complimentary laundromat is a very plus to have. I managed to do some laundry. It was located on the 2nd floor near to the function rooms I think. Cos I was walking there to collect my laundry and I nearly barge into a wedding couple going to do their walk in from the corridor of the laundromat.
My room faced a park and a private house. We had one little window opened and I could hear children laughing and a musician playing. I am not sure if it came from the private house or the park or the hotel cafe or something. But it was lovely. And it felt very English! I may be wrong, but there is a "famous" river in the park where the boats are rowed down the stream. I have seen it on TV but I didn't get the time to visit it.
Oh, and wifi is complimentary as well! Jolly good.
Ok, minus points was that maybe it was a Saturday and they were having numerous events such as the wedding and I also spied a birthday celebration going on, my phone calls to order room service went unanswered. I had to call the receptionist to place my order.
There were numerous cobwebs outside the little window. But I did notice many cobwebs all over NZ. I guess this is a very common and natural "problem". We don't usually get that many cobwebs at home and when we do, it only means the place has been left untouched for a really really long time.
In any case, it is a nice pleasant hotel to stay in. So do come and give it a try.