“What a hospitality!”

The George Christchurch
Ranked #5 of 146 Hotels in Christchurch
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 25 March 2013

If you are planning on staying at the George, book fast. I booked for one night and when I decided to add another, the hotel was fully booked. I then booked at Clearview lodge ( see my review) but could not figure out how to transfer between the 2 hotels since I booked a tour very early that day. I emailed the George suggesting a plan but Bruce the manager emailed me back with a much better plan: while I was on the tour, he transferred my luggage to my room from Clearview lodge. What a relief! I came back after my tour to find my luggage in my room as promised, followed by a welcome phone call, a courtesy drink of my choice and a young lady at my door with George, a tiny fluffy bear to pack with me. Impressed! The room itself and the bathroom were very clean with an innovative light system. The bathroom floor was heated and of course the towel rack was heated. I slept like a baby. I tried also the restaurant for dinner and breakfast. I had the Bluff oysters, a must in New Zealand and a sole that came whole and I could not finish a third of it. For breakfast, in addition to the cold buffet, I had a grouper omelette which was really great. Ok! I am not sure it was an omelet but whatever it was, it was delicious. I highly recommend this hotel

Room Tip: Most rooms have heated bathroom floors except for a couple. If you are like me and enjoy being pampe...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Wtraveler

Reviewed 22 March 2013

The flight from Singapore over, we were met by the local agent for Audley, and taken through poor Christchurch to the warm and friendly hotel. The Concierge took charge of our luggage and we were soon iinstalled in a large and airy room, with a tray of tea on offer. Just lovely!
Thge hotel at times was very busy, especially in the dining room, but this was understanable as the city is trying hard to accomodate visitorsin the hotels left standing.
On our return stay on the way back home, George the Teddy bear was sat on the bed, ready to come to whereever we go next.
I loved the lighting and the underfloor heating in the bathrrom!

Room Tip: I think all the rooms are fine.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 March 2013

We having been traveling through NZ on a weeks road-show and The George was fantastic.
They could not have gone out of their way anymore to ensure we had a comfortable and rewarding stay.
Well done to all at The George.

P.S. Thanks so much for George..

Pete.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 March 2013

Although my stay was brief the hotel was outstanding. A few minutes after I checked in I received a call to see if I would like a refreshing drink. On turn down there was a beautiful bear that my baby will love and will remind me of The George when I look at it. The food was great and the staff were wonderful. I was in the hotel industry for 16 years and have stayed in many. I know how important the little things make to a guests stay and this hotel have nailed it. I now have a new favourite and look forward to returning when I am next in Christchurch.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 March 2013

Top service and lovely rooms, The George does elegance well. It's fully priced of course but nice once in a while. The building itself is old and not that attractive, but the interiors are lovely. Parking is free. Hagley Park is directly across the road for exercise & golf. The food is probably a little richer than your standard business travellers fare but great quality. The complimentary teddy bear (named George) is a nice touch.

Room Tip: The 'villas' out back of the main hotel have a homely feel.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 March 2013

This hotel was a real gem in a city that is trying hard to recover from the earthquake. From the moment you get to the hotel you are met with smiling faces and a can do attitude rare to find elsewhere. Rooms are lovely, modern and spacious and the hotel is very quiet. Staff are always on hand to help you out or provide insight on where to go and eat. The little touches of bottled water and the trademark George teddy you get on the first night really characterise this lovely hotel. Great food, great drinks, great staff, great location, I cannot recommend it enough.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 March 2013

The George is well worth staying in. Our room was really luxourious, spotlessly clean with very high quality toileteries and even George the teddy bear to take home! Staff were very friendly and the concierge made a great job of finding out what sort of meal we wanted to eat and suggested the perfect place - he even phoned and made a reservation for us. Christchurch is such an interesting place to visit - the earthquake could have taken the heart out of the city but it's inspiring to see how people are rebuilding their lives. There's a lot of work going on, obviously, and many places out of bounds still, but do visit - you won't be disappointed. The George makes the perfect place to stay while you're there.

Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple