“Excellent hotel”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Denver, CO
“Excellent hotel”
Reviewed 1 April 2013

We had the pleasure of staying at his hotel for March 7-9, 2013. The city of Christchurch has been damaged by a serious earthquake in 2011 and the downtown hotels were destroyed which limits the number of hotel choices. Fortunately, the George is located about a mile from the downtown epicenter of most of the damage.
From the check-in to the decor and furnishings of the hotel, we could not have been more pleased. The rooms are very new and well-appointed.
We ate at the on-site restaurant and were very pleased with the selection, service, and food quality.
The location is excellent to experiencing the Botanic Gardens that are across the street. This is one of the finest gardens and parks in the world. I believe the picturesque park is larger than Central Park in NY.

1 Thank hallacyDenver_CO

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 31 March 2013

This was our first night on a 11 day self drive trip around the South Island followed by a cruise back to Sydney.

We spent one night in this delightful boutique hotel in Christchurch. On arrival, we were greeted warmly by the receptionist and we were advised that we had been upgraded to a Junior Suite which was a lovely surprise. It was the largest room we had on the entire trip of over 3.5 weeks!

Our room was huge and very comfortable. We had delicious dinner in the Pescatore Restaurant at the hotel that night and after dinner we had a wonderful sleep in a very comfortable bed.

Breakfast next morning was Continental which was included in our tariff. If we ever return to Christchurch we would definitely stay at the George again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the main road.
Shaker Heights, Ohio
Reviewed 25 March 2013

If you are planning on staying at the George, book fast. I booked for one night and when I decided to add another, the hotel was fully booked. I then booked at Clearview lodge ( see my review) but could not figure out how to transfer between the 2 hotels since I booked a tour very early that day. I emailed the George suggesting a plan but Bruce the manager emailed me back with a much better plan: while I was on the tour, he transferred my luggage to my room from Clearview lodge. What a relief! I came back after my tour to find my luggage in my room as promised, followed by a welcome phone call, a courtesy drink of my choice and a young lady at my door with George, a tiny fluffy bear to pack with me. Impressed! The room itself and the bathroom were very clean with an innovative light system. The bathroom floor was heated and of course the towel rack was heated. I slept like a baby. I tried also the restaurant for dinner and breakfast. I had the Bluff oysters, a must in New Zealand and a sole that came whole and I could not finish a third of it. For breakfast, in addition to the cold buffet, I had a grouper omelette which was really great. Ok! I am not sure it was an omelet but whatever it was, it was delicious. I highly recommend this hotel

Room Tip: Most rooms have heated bathroom floors except for a couple. If you are like me and enjoy being pampe...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Wtraveler
Woodbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 March 2013

The flight from Singapore over, we were met by the local agent for Audley, and taken through poor Christchurch to the warm and friendly hotel. The Concierge took charge of our luggage and we were soon iinstalled in a large and airy room, with a tray of tea on offer. Just lovely!
Thge hotel at times was very busy, especially in the dining room, but this was understanable as the city is trying hard to accomodate visitorsin the hotels left standing.
On our return stay on the way back home, George the Teddy bear was sat on the bed, ready to come to whereever we go next.
I loved the lighting and the underfloor heating in the bathrrom!

Room Tip: I think all the rooms are fine.
Eumundi, Australia
Reviewed 21 March 2013

We having been traveling through NZ on a weeks road-show and The George was fantastic.
They could not have gone out of their way anymore to ensure we had a comfortable and rewarding stay.
Well done to all at The George.

P.S. Thanks so much for George..

Pete.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Maroochydore, Australia
Reviewed 21 March 2013

Although my stay was brief the hotel was outstanding. A few minutes after I checked in I received a call to see if I would like a refreshing drink. On turn down there was a beautiful bear that my baby will love and will remind me of The George when I look at it. The food was great and the staff were wonderful. I was in the hotel industry for 16 years and have stayed in many. I know how important the little things make to a guests stay and this hotel have nailed it. I now have a new favourite and look forward to returning when I am next in Christchurch.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Auckland
Reviewed 15 March 2013

Top service and lovely rooms, The George does elegance well. It's fully priced of course but nice once in a while. The building itself is old and not that attractive, but the interiors are lovely. Parking is free. Hagley Park is directly across the road for exercise & golf. The food is probably a little richer than your standard business travellers fare but great quality. The complimentary teddy bear (named George) is a nice touch.

Room Tip: The 'villas' out back of the main hotel have a homely feel.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business