“Most helpful staff”

The George Christchurch
Ranked #5 of 146 Hotels in Christchurch
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 3 April 2013

This is by far one of the friendliest hotels we have ever stayed at. From the efficient check in, to the extremely modern and comfortable room, we could not have had a better service. Evening meal in Bistro 51 was delicious with a very good choice of menu, George, the complimentary travelling bear was waiting for us with a couple of chocolates when we got back to the room :-). We were returning to the hotel for a second night after a 5 day tour, and the concierge suggested we leave any surplus luggage which we did, and on return it was already in our bedroom. We were half an hour early for breakfast due to an early departure, and it was still being laid up, but the very helpful lady made us tea and a toasted sandwich to take with us. Could not recommend this hotel highly enough

Room Tip: Lower floor rooms have innovative lighting system
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,452)

Reviewed 3 April 2013

We had our wedding at The George on the 23rd March 2013. The service, venue and organisation by Jackie and her team was simply amazing. We had the most wonderful time. Everything from the food, to the room, to the decorations was simply gorgeous and we were delighted with the way our day went. We didn't want for anything and wouldn't change anything! Thank you to The George

Room Tip: The Park View suites are a real treat for a special occasion. If you are considering a wedding at T...
1  Thank JoP183
Reviewed 1 April 2013

We had the pleasure of staying at his hotel for March 7-9, 2013. The city of Christchurch has been damaged by a serious earthquake in 2011 and the downtown hotels were destroyed which limits the number of hotel choices. Fortunately, the George is located about a mile from the downtown epicenter of most of the damage.
From the check-in to the decor and furnishings of the hotel, we could not have been more pleased. The rooms are very new and well-appointed.
We ate at the on-site restaurant and were very pleased with the selection, service, and food quality.
The location is excellent to experiencing the Botanic Gardens that are across the street. This is one of the finest gardens and parks in the world. I believe the picturesque park is larger than Central Park in NY.

1  Thank hallacyDenver_CO
Reviewed 31 March 2013

This was our first night on a 11 day self drive trip around the South Island followed by a cruise back to Sydney.

We spent one night in this delightful boutique hotel in Christchurch. On arrival, we were greeted warmly by the receptionist and we were advised that we had been upgraded to a Junior Suite which was a lovely surprise. It was the largest room we had on the entire trip of over 3.5 weeks!

Our room was huge and very comfortable. We had delicious dinner in the Pescatore Restaurant at the hotel that night and after dinner we had a wonderful sleep in a very comfortable bed.

Breakfast next morning was Continental which was included in our tariff. If we ever return to Christchurch we would definitely stay at the George again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the main road.
Reviewed 25 March 2013

If you are planning on staying at the George, book fast. I booked for one night and when I decided to add another, the hotel was fully booked. I then booked at Clearview lodge ( see my review) but could not figure out how to transfer between the 2 hotels since I booked a tour very early that day. I emailed the George suggesting a plan but Bruce the manager emailed me back with a much better plan: while I was on the tour, he transferred my luggage to my room from Clearview lodge. What a relief! I came back after my tour to find my luggage in my room as promised, followed by a welcome phone call, a courtesy drink of my choice and a young lady at my door with George, a tiny fluffy bear to pack with me. Impressed! The room itself and the bathroom were very clean with an innovative light system. The bathroom floor was heated and of course the towel rack was heated. I slept like a baby. I tried also the restaurant for dinner and breakfast. I had the Bluff oysters, a must in New Zealand and a sole that came whole and I could not finish a third of it. For breakfast, in addition to the cold buffet, I had a grouper omelette which was really great. Ok! I am not sure it was an omelet but whatever it was, it was delicious. I highly recommend this hotel

Room Tip: Most rooms have heated bathroom floors except for a couple. If you are like me and enjoy being pampe...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Wtraveler
Reviewed 22 March 2013

The flight from Singapore over, we were met by the local agent for Audley, and taken through poor Christchurch to the warm and friendly hotel. The Concierge took charge of our luggage and we were soon iinstalled in a large and airy room, with a tray of tea on offer. Just lovely!
Thge hotel at times was very busy, especially in the dining room, but this was understanable as the city is trying hard to accomodate visitorsin the hotels left standing.
On our return stay on the way back home, George the Teddy bear was sat on the bed, ready to come to whereever we go next.
I loved the lighting and the underfloor heating in the bathrrom!

Room Tip: I think all the rooms are fine.
Reviewed 21 March 2013

We having been traveling through NZ on a weeks road-show and The George was fantastic.
They could not have gone out of their way anymore to ensure we had a comfortable and rewarding stay.
Well done to all at The George.

P.S. Thanks so much for George..

Pete.