We arrived here very late on a chilly winter's evening and were greeted so warmly by the staff at reception it made up for the cold foggy weather outside! We entered our room to be greeted by our very own George Bear (which you get to keep!), heated bathroom floors and very tasty chocolates (part of the turn down service). What a lovely hotel. Well located on the edge of town and an easy walk to most places of interest in town. We were given great advice by the concierge on places to see and eat at - nothing was too much trouble. They organized a free pick up for our Tranzalpine train trip as well (I will review this separately, but the readers digest version of this is: Just do it!!). We ate at 50 Bistro on a couple of occasions (this is located on the ground floor of the George) and the food was delicious and fairly good value. The service was friendly and relaxed and without pretention. Would certainly recommend when staying here that you eat at the Bistro. I understand that the George's fine dining restaurant is also very good (Pescatore) but as we did not eat here I cannot personally recommend it. We stayed here for a total of three nights on two separate occasions and thoroughly enjoyed it.
My only gripe (and it is relatively small one) is that the noise from the hallway seems to transfer into the rooms quite distinctly so if you have a noisy group on your floor you will hear every word they say in the hallway. The sound insulation between the rooms themselves though is absolutely fine, so it is just when people are coming and going that this is an issue.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The George is the essence of supreme comfort. Its 53 spacious rooms are designed with a stylish eye for detail, complete with luxury amenities. With a one-to-one ratio of staff to guests, impeccable service is guaranteed. In 2013, 2012 and 2010 it was recognised as ‘New Zealand’s #1 City Hotel’ in Travel + Leisure World’s Best Awards, was New Zealand’s Leading Boutique Hotel’ 2006 – 2010 & 2012 – 2013 in the World Travel Awards. The George offers discerning travellers superb comfort and individual attention in an intimate ambiance. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Agoda, Ctrip TA, TripOnline SA, LateRooms, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your The George Christchurch reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The George Christchurch Hotel Christchurch
- The George Hotel Christchurch
- George Hotel Christchurch