We booked a one night stay at the George, after our flight in from Sydney. We were leaving for our road trip the next day, and wanted a nice night in.
It was an excellent choice. We booked a Premium Executive room. Initially, there was a hiccup at the check in - despite the Premium room's description promising a picture window or a balcony from every room, we were put in a room just behind reception, where a smallish window afforded a generous view of hotel parking...hmm...that was disappointing and I immediately told the reception about my concerns.
To their credit, we were immediately moved. They didn't have any PE rooms available, so we were upgraded to a Junior Suite. It was lovely, with a large balcony and separate space for the bar/coffee station and a wardrobe, living the main room for the bed, TV and lounging.
First of all, it was super comfy. Lovely facilities, good airconditioning, huge TV, nice desk.
But the absolute highlight was the room-service dinner. The George run two stellar restaurants on site, and you can access the bistro's menu via the room service. Wow!
The entrees were amazing, such creative and sophisticated cooking. We only ordered one main to share - a plate of prawns from their grill - which was an incredibly generous portion. However, once we realised the quality of the food, we promptly ordered a few extra dishes, including desserts. It was definitely a night of indulgence, while our infant son peacefully slept in the giant king bed.
Every person we came in contact with was lovely, professional, and appeared genuinely caring. They definitely got service right. Amazing job, guys!
If I could change one thing about the hotel, I would introduce firmer mattresses. They were just way, way too soft. Perhaps they should get a few extra ones and ask guests about their preferences, and be able to offer firmer beds for those who need it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The George is the essence of supreme comfort. Its 53 spacious rooms are designed with a stylish eye for detail, complete with luxury amenities. With a one-to-one ratio of staff to guests, impeccable service is guaranteed. In 2013, 2012 and 2010 it was recognised as ‘New Zealand’s #1 City Hotel’ in Travel + Leisure World’s Best Awards, was New Zealand’s Leading Boutique Hotel’ 2006 – 2010 & 2012 – 2013 in the World Travel Awards. The George offers discerning travellers superb comfort and individual attention in an intimate ambiance. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Ctrip TA, Agoda, TravelUp, Priceline, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your The George Christchurch reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The George Christchurch Hotel Christchurch
- The George Hotel Christchurch
- George Hotel Christchurch