“A luxurious hub in one of south New Zealand's biggest cities”

The George Christchurch
Ranked #6 of 144 Hotels in Christchurch
GreenLeadersSilver level
California
“A luxurious hub in one of south New Zealand's biggest cities”
Reviewed 21 December 2010

Towards the end of an adventurous, month-long honeymoon (I'm talking living out of a backpack and tramping for many of the days), my husband and I decided to treat ourselves to two evenings of pampering, soft beds, and a few glasses of wine. And at the George, we got all that and more. We were greeted with complimentary champagne; the staff helped us find the best restaurants in town and made sure that we not only had a table with a view but that the kitchen was well aware of our dietary restrictions; we were able to do bags of laundry for free; and we were always greeted with a smile. The best part of all is that when we had to rearrange our plans for Christmas day due to some health problems, they let us cancel our room without charge or hassle. The George lives up to its reputation and you'll be pleased by the exceptional quality of the hotel and its staff.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Perth, Western Australia
Reviewed 5 December 2010

We stayed three nights and the staff made us feel very welcome, and were smiling and helpful at all times. On two evenings we dined in the 50 restaurant, and thoroughly enjoyed our meals from the grills menu - we prefer not to have huge meals, so no desserts or starters, tempting as they were. Our rooms were excellent, beautifully appointed, and the bed was extremely comfortable. The only slight downside for us ( we are both 70+) is that the city centre should be moved closer to The George as we found the walk a bit long!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 28 November 2010

This is without doubt the best hotel in Christchurch. Brilliantly located across from magnificent Hagley Park and great shopping and places of interest all around. The staff make you feel very special and the decor and comfort are superb to say nothing of the food served at their high class restaurants. Pure joy to stay there from arrival to departure. Wouldn't consider staying anywhere else.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled solo
Grand Cayman
Reviewed 12 November 2010

Elegant hotel. We spent 2 days there on our New Zealand trip and The George was delightful. Beautiful room with floor to ceiling windows over looking a lovely garden. Great service. Only disappointment was that the PESCATORE restaurant closes sundays and mondays, and those were the two nights that we were there.

new york
Reviewed 11 November 2010

A lovely hotel in a quiet part of Christchurch, New Zealand., but near the center of town. The room was very attractive, with many very modern amenities, including heated floors. The restaurant in the hotel was excellent. The staff was helpful and knowledgeable.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 10 November 2010

We recently stayed at The George for two nights and were made to feel very special. The staff are very attentive, they take care of all small details. Beautiful gardens. Handy location. We'll be back.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 31 October 2010

First off al I have to say "Thank you" to Hester Fourie - Front of House Host, for helping me with my reservation. I had issues with my computer and Hester helped me with my reservation and made sure that I was accommodated all the way. Hester was not on duty when I checked-in but made the effort to look me up the next day and find out if everything is to my satisfaction. She sure is an asset to "The George"! My stay was lovely. The rooms are immaculate and the little touches are unforgetable - like George Bear waiting for me upon turndown. The staff at this hotel is friendly, well mannered and helpful.

Both restaurants are great - serving good fresh food. The George is situated about 15 minutes walk from the City Centre. I visit Christchurch on a regular basis and have always stayed elsewhere, but now that I have found "The George" I know I'll
become a regular.