Open today: 10:00 - 17:00
Review Highlights
Magical visit!

This was a fantastic experience! The giraffe feeding was magical and such a highlight. We loved... read more

Reviewed 3 weeks ago
H9338WYjessicag
Emerald, Australia
via mobile
exciting .. great place.

Great place,. very exciting.. i felt bad for the Gorillas.. as classes of kids go in and no one to... read more

Reviewed 25 January 2024
mindykatz79
Dunedin, New Zealand

Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
Recommended experiences in and around Christchurch
from £61.05
from £19.54
from £28.82
from £104.40
1,070 results
All reviews giraffe feeding animal enclosures great family day kiwi house cage tiger cafe ape volunteers talks conservation kiwis viewing
Selected filters
Reviewed 5 March 2019 via mobile

Fantastic day out in a relaxed atmosphere where the comfort and well being of the animals is number one.
Lots of experiences to be had by either watching or joining with feeding the animals, most free.
These include giraffes, meerkats, llamas, tigers. You can buy a special ticket to go inside a special caged truck to be 'on the inside' of the lion feed.

Lots of space and plenty of staff and volunteer staff about to help.

Special mention to the onsite restaurant / cafe where they have a great range of home cooked cakes, pies, treats etc for all of the family.
Allergies are catered for too with a selection of food available.
Seating area inside and out.

1  Thank S5457NVandrewl
Reviewed 27 February 2019 via mobile

I hadn’t been to Orana Park since I was a lot younger so I was really excited to return and create new memories. We’d come on a lovely day, not too many people and the sun was out. My partner, his brother and myself decided we’d do the Lion Encounter, boy am I left fascinated. One of the best experiences of my life and learnt some neat facts from the awesome staff who lead us through. $45 per person is too cheap to give it a miss, a lot cheaper than Wellington and Hamilton Zoo (where I’ve done previous Encounters). It’s amazing how calm I felt being surrounded by the Lions, something I’ll never forget. Also got to feed the Giraffes (free of charge), watch the Rhinos feed and Rainbow Trout (although the cheeky ducks were stealing the food instead!) plus watch the incredible African Hunting Dogs feed. An awesome day leaving 3 people with big smiles on their faces, thanks Orana Park!

Reviewed 13 February 2019

Some friends of ours had done the lion experience several days prior so when we had some free time, we decided to try it out. It's $34.50 to get into the zoo, plus another $45 for the lion experience. We also wanted to see a kiwi but figured we weren't going to pay $34.50 just to see a kiwi (but we'd pay a total of $80 to do the lion experience). You can't book the lion experience until the day of and when we called around 10:30am (they open at 10), there were still 9 tickets available. When we did the actual experience, all 20 tickets were sold. It's possible you could just get tickets when you get there but we didn't want to chance it.

Upon arriving, we got our tickets, signed a form and went on our way (since we had paid for everything on the phone). The zoo seems poorly maintained - there are several run down buildings that are empty, very few sign posts, walkways don't look nice, etc. The enclosures looked sad for the larger animals (giraffes, zebras, etc.) since they were virtually empty plains of grass but nice for the monkeys and smaller animals, as there were plenty of plants and activities to keep them busy. My guess is a lot of the money goes towards food for the animals, veterinary care and wages for the staff but it still seems like a sad zoo.

We got there around 11:30am since I wanted to do the 12pm giraffe feeding. It's quite easy and no matter the length of the line, they don't run out of food and you'll get your turn! The volunteers nicely manage the crowds and people were very respectful.

After that, we went to the cafe to get some food. You get a lot of food and it's pretty cheap so we were very happy with that... and it tastes good!

As mentioned, we wanted to see a kiwi while in NZ so we went to where it was. We ended up spending, over the course of 4 visits, over 1.25hrs trying to see the kiwi. There's a feeding at 1:30 so we got there at 1:15 to let our eyes adjust (essential!) and were there until 2:10, never seeing the kiwi. At the end of our 4th visit, we saw the kiwi move from one dark corner to behind a large log on the left hand side, for a total of about 7 seconds. Honestly, we were pretty happy! It was beautiful and we were thrilled to say we had seen a kiwi!

We had to meet at 2:15 for our 2:30 lion experience. It was amazing!! The more you ask questions of the guides, while you're out doing the experience, the longer you get to be out there. In an effort to do that but also because I was genuinely curious, I asked quite a few questions and the guides were excellent in their answers and mannerisms (i.e. I didn't feel like a dumb tourist asking the questions I did). The alpha male climbed on top several times, drooling here and there. There was another male, very vocal, who was on our side, letting us get some great pictures and videos of him. I would highly recommend it! They squeeze 20 of you in the cage but if you're the last perhaps 4 people to enter, you'll kinda be stuck in the middle instead of near the outside railing. Try to get in early!

I think we ended up being there for over 4 hours (11:30am-4pm), casually strolling from one area to the another. We loved watching the gorillas and several monkeys. The beautiful frogs look like porcelain ornaments and were gorgeous!

Reviewed 9 February 2019

Large diversity of animals that appear well looked after. Staff are friendly and genuinely cared for the wellbeing of the animals. Layout of the park really makes sense - you can walk in a loop around the park with feeding times allocated intelligently to maximise animal exposure. Can easily spend up to 3-4 hours in the park. Highly recommend for anyone visiting Christchurch!

Date of experience: March 2018
2  Thank Travelguru_nz1
Reviewed 8 February 2019

We visited here February 2019 on our last day of a 4 day visit to Christchurch. Arrived about 10:30am (opens at 10am) as it was going to be another 30 dec C plus day and we wanted to avoid the worst of the heat. A tip to those visiting - the animals were feeling the heat and many were hiding in shady areas and difficult to see.
We spent about 2 1/2 hours walking about at a reasonable pace to cover the whole park. Some viewing areas were much better than others (i.e aviary, Gorilla and Orangutan, Kea enclosures) and others (i.e cheetah, tiger, trout) were unable to be seen.
I think on a cooler day the park would be worthwhile, middle of summer at $69 later for two of us, perhaps not the best option although what we saw we enjoyed.

1  Thank NZsimond