“Excellent Location...will stay again”

Sudima Hotel Christchurch Airport
Ranked #21 of 144 Hotels in Christchurch
Brisbane Australia
“Excellent Location...will stay again”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2012

I arrived just after midnight and rang the hotel for the shuttle pickup
Within two minutes it arrived and two minutes later arrived at hotel.
The hotel is of an older design but updated and very comfortable.
Being a weekend I scored a $25 food and beveridge voucher which I used for an excellent hot buffet brekfast.
The hotel is tastefully furnished throughout
The menu and meals were excellent , staff fiendly and professional
I would certainly stay there again

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank westcity

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Melbourne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2012

I booked this motel because of it's proximity to the Christchurch Airport. I had an evening function in town and a 6:30 am flight to Sydney, so I wanted to get to the airport quickly in the morning.

Check in at 11pm, all good, friendly and no problem. The motel in spacious and only 2 levels as most remaining motels in Christchurch are. The restuarant was closing but the bar seemed quite lively.

All I needed was a good nights sleep (even if it was only 4 hours or so). Room was OK and big enough and importantly quiet. I checked out at 4:30 with no delay. Rather than wait a few moments for the shuttle bus I chose to walk the 7 mins into the airport and got there about the same time as the bus. So for convenience to the airport this motel is the best.

It is actually also a pleasant place to stay, not 5 star but I will use it again. Cost was NZ$155 room only for a last min booking.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Temuka, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2012

After the late night arrival flight ideal if you then have a long drive ahead to stay overnight.
If you do this you can park your car there on your departure saving on Airport Parking Fees.
Rooms basic but clean, the bathrooms certainly need updated...also be nice of the roof had some soundproofing in it, the rain kept me awake! quite noisey.
Excellent shuttle service, nice guy was waiting to collect me and only a 2minute ride to the
Sudima Hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a lower floor as in my room which seemed a mile hike away from Reception and NO lift to get...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Perth, Australia
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,319 helpful votes
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2012

We stayed at the Sudima as most of hotels in city centre are closed. This is a good basic hotel within walking distance to airport or they provide a courtesy airport shuttle bus every 30 mins..
The rooms are basic but clean, beds comfortable, bathrooms small.
The hotel does have a bar and restaurant so you don't have to go far for a drink or a meal.
Good option close to airport.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2012

Close to airport with friendly staff on hand to pickup at 1am in the morning and to bookin . Comfortable rooms and great value for money.

Room Tip: If arriving late see if you can get a ground level room
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2012 via mobile

I arrived 9pm after booking online a week earlier and securing with a credit card number.on check in I was told I had to pay for the room on check in as that was company policy. I explained I had never had to do this in the many hotels I have stayed in and got the same line from the cold uninterested receptionist. She then advised I had to prepay for my breakfast. After I reluctantly agreed she then advised I had to pay a 3.5% fee to pay by credit card which I have also never experienced, again I was told it was company policy. My vehicle was also almost towed away as the receptionist failed to advise that if I didn't have a car park ticket I would be towed away, I was advised this by another guest. The breakfast that I was forced to prepay was cold and horrible. Trust me stay at "the copthorne commodore hotel" it's another 30 second drive and much better. When I complained the next day the receptionist was uninterested and said the same thing about the company policy. DON'T STAY HERE!

Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Adam N
, Manager at Sudima Hotel Christchurch Airport, responded to this review, 10 July 2012
Dear Adam N

Thank you for your feedback. I am concerned about a number of the comments you have made.

The only way you would have been asked to prepay for breakfast was if you had in fact ordered it as a part of your on line accommodation booking.

On this basis it becomes part of a package with breakfast at a discounted rate. Unless you have a pre-arranged chargeback arrangements in place we do require guests to prepay their accommodation package.

If you had brought your dissatisfaction with your breakfast to our attention then we would have gladly refunded the cost to you and I am still happy to do this if you would like to contact me directly.

Payment by credit card attracts a surcharge of 1.5% not 3.5% as you have claimed.

Your car was certainly not 'almost towed away' as you have stated - we do this as a very last resort however the requirement for you to obtain a parking permit is well sign posted and usually reinforced by the receptionist on check-in - my apologies if this did not occur on this occasion. I am disappointed you didn't receive the warm and friendly service that we frequently receive positive feedback for, from our front office team, and we have discussed ways of better handling the issues of pre payment and credit card surcharge for the future.
Invercargill
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2012

Arrived 1am from long flight. Room freezing cold, only one blanket no spares. Very old run down hotel, expensive compared to other places around NZ. Only 1 soap and 1 shampoo in bathroom for 2 people. Heater could not be adjusted. Was too tired to do anything at that time of the night. Told reception next day, just said you should have called us. Not good enough, this is a disgrace to the tourist industry, especially Christchurch where they have had a hard time and need to have hotels that look after their guests. Only stayed here as it was closest to airport, guess they know this is a selling point and most people only stay 1 night. Very expensive for a shabby old room. Thankfully moved onto a lovely warm welcoming Hotel for the next few nights elsewhere.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GVH232
Dear GVH232

Thank you for your comments.

Please contact me directly so we can discuss the points you have raised more fully.