“5 minute walk from Christchurch Airport”

Sudima Hotel Christchurch Airport
Ranked #21 of 144 Hotels in Christchurch
“5 minute walk from Christchurch Airport”
Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

I have just stayed overnight at the Sudima hotel and have found it to be a great place to stay and only 5 minutes walk to the hotel from the Airport no taxi required. The hotel is a single story and has been refurbished to a very good standard I found the staff to be friendly and helpful, there is a comfortable bar and great restaurant which have very good quality meals.
Then rooms are a good size with all the bells and whistles. The pool area is currently under construction as this appears to getting a face lift. I will be returning to this hotel as it fits a lot of the criteria for me

Stayed March 2014
2 Thank Warrick P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Comet, Qld
Reviewed 22 March 2014

Our flight arrived at 11.30pm so all we were looking for was a bed. As we'd stayed here before we knew what to expect. It's proximity to the airport and the fact that they have their own 24 hour shuttle were deciding factors. Also the reasons we decided to stay again on our way home before our early morning flight. We also had a nice dinner in the restaurant on our last night.
The refurb will improve the quality of the rooms which are rather old and tired but serve the purpose. Very helpful staff.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 March 2014

we stayed in the sudima for one night after arriving in Christchurch prior to picking up our motorhome we coud have quite easily stayed longer. the rooms are clean and comfortable and the breakfast selection was very good and okay the swimming pool was fenced off but building work has to be done sometime!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Tony M
Townsville, Australia
Reviewed 20 March 2014 via mobile

Now this hotel is getting a badly needed refurb but my review is for now and not what may be in the future.
Reception efficient, bus driver and service great. Location to airport great and I suspect this would be the main/only reason most people use this hotel, simply an overnighter before early flight or late arrival.
Maccas is a 5 min walk away which is good, but current roadworks send you on a bit of an extra trek.
Now the room.. Too dear for what it is, and definitely charging because of the airport location. Old, people smoking somewhere which drifted into the room, a heater which was difficult to turn completely off on a warm night, no a/c, the most archaic tv ever..why not put flat screens in? They can go into the new rooms and would help these sad rooms a tad in the meantime.
Bathroom old, toilet in weird place but hot water and pressure was good. Bit smelly with oldness.
Orange bedspreads..yuk, pillows lumpy sad little things, saggy bed.
Restaurant for dinner was very busy, main meals very nice but no service after for sweets or coffee, simply forgotten. Our amusement was the couple who sent the steak back 4 times to try and get it to somewhere more than mooing..poor souls gave up in the end, as each time the steak came back cut from 2 initial nice looking fillets to basically cubes..
So would I stay here again? Not until the total refurb has been done, but somehow I suspect the price will skyrocket, as it's dear enough now for such a basic offering.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 13 March 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here on our first day arriving to NZ from the US. I have to say even after a 14 hour flight this place didn't look appealing. When we got to our room it was on the far wing near the back parking lot. It looked old as we were traveling through the hallways, then as we entered the room it was pretty awful. The room was dark the with minimal lighting, the bed was super uncomfortable, and the bathroom was something out of the 70s. The pool had a large chain femme going around it with tall weeds growing around it. Really the hotel in all looked like it should have been condemned. We stayed a second night after traveling the country and they put us in the"newer" portion of the hotel. It's not an upgraded tv if there's not a flat screen. Still pretty crappy overall

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 March 2014

Lets get started on a good footing... I have stayed here several times before and its always been acceptable but this stay has changed my mind.

For the first time I stayed in the older part of the hotel. When I saw the first room it was hot and stuff but the worse thing was the room itself. I instantly asked to move rooms and all I was offered was similar standard room.

The second room was similar. The furnishings were tired and room could have doen with remodelling. It just looked like it was from the 1970s. The matteress on the bed was so old it was saging even before I lay on it, it was just way to soft, probabiy just worn out.

There was no aircon so i had to open the windows which doesnt do much for sound proofing close to an airport.

The consequence of all this = 2 hours sleep (=$90 per hour).

When I check out the staff asked If I had a good stay and when I said no and explained I got the impression that it wasn't the first time they has heard it.

The worst things was the cost $180 for a room that should have cost of that at most. Considering the hotel is a prefered supplier to my compnay I would have thought they would have made more of effort!

Room Tip: If you have to stay, insist on aroom in the new section.