“Close enough to walk from airport” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Sudima Hotel Christchurch Airport
Ranked #20 of 147 Hotels in Christchurch
White Rock, Canada
“Close enough to walk from airport”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014

Arrived in Chc too late to continue my other Air New Zealand flight so needed a room for one night.
Phoned this hotel and van was there to pick me up in about 2 minutes. Realised later that I could have walked to the hotel! Staff were friendly and efficient and they even kept he bar open for me as I had arrived close to 11.00 pm on a Sunday night. Room was comfortable and clean as was the bed. The only concern I have is there was a "surcharge" for the use of a credit card upon checkout. This was surprising to me as I have never come across this before when paying for accommodations. The few dollars extra I paid to stay here was worth not having to get a cab and allow extra time (and money)for all that would involve.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

Although we spent only 8hrs in this hotel, I loved the hotel and its staff. Me and my wife arrived at around 2AM to airport. The free shuttle picked us up right on time. The check-in process was smooth. We had booked a standard room. I am not sure if they upgraded us for free. But if that was the standard room... Nice!
Had a wonderful sleep. The continental breakfast was also good. It was bit expensive though. But we used the $25 food & beverage voucher that was included in our online booking. So it turned out cheap for us.
Location: The location is really good if you want quick stay over near airport. We were planning to visit the Antarctic Center in the morning and then start drive to Arthur Pass National Park. So it perfectly fit our plan.
The only issue we had was drinking water. There was a small bottle of water in the room. So at night after check-in, when I asked at the reception where can I fill up water bottle, the gentleman was kind enough to fill in 3 bottles for us. Similarly while checking out the pregnant lady at the reception again filled our 3 bottles. However I felt really bad. If you can please have some water filling stations that will be great (sorry if I missed those during my limited stay).

Room Tip: Choose any room. As far as I know there is a lift as well. We were staying on the ground floor (turn...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Morrinsville, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

Needed a hotel handy to airport for a business trip. Booked the Sudima as reasonably priced and only staying 1 night. Upon arrival was somewhat concerned as first impression not great. Situated at a busy roundabout, significant building works adjacent and exterior was very dated and in need of a facelift. I was gaining the impression I going to be in for a cheep and nasty sleepless night. I was plesantly suprised to find the inside was quite a different story. Friendly helpful staff, quick and painless checkin. Room I stayed in had been refurbished and had a modern clean feel. Not the comfyest bed, but got a pretty decent sleep all the same as it was very quiet - didnt hear a peep from neighbour rooms, airport or traffic. For 1 night I think this is a good option. Also dined in - venison main and dessert were quite filling.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
DeWitt, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

If you need a place for a night close to the airport, the Sudima will do okay. But I have to believe that there are better choices in the Christchurch area, if you need something more than just a convenient place for quick one-night stop.

The toilet in our room was arranged in a very peculiar fashion, with the "throne" wedged into a tight corner with very little clearance facing a wall. A tall or large person would find this a significant inconvenience.

The television was an old, relatively small screen picture tube type set, not a modern flat screen LCD.

There is no elevator to reach the upper floor, and if you have heavy luggage and cannot or don't want to heavy it up the stairs, get the front desk to have one of the hotel staff strain their backs instead of you.

Finding your room is also an adventure, because the rooms are numbered in a method completely devoid of logic.

The staff, however, were very nice and helpful.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the first floor unless you don't have heavy luggage, because there is no eleva...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Mumbai (Bombay), India
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

We just took a room for catching a flight next day but let me tell you its the most pathetic hotel i have ever stayed even tough is a budget hotel . 1st of all the price of room is very expensive you can get a good hotel in this price..2ndly .. after a long jouney from mt cook ..trying to sleep in afternoon but a lot disturbance in the room ..room almost vibrating and hotel staff not ready to move us ..3rdly ordered food in the room ... ordered plain rice.. not evn a 3 yr old kid would be able to eat and full his stomach .. charging a very high price..food prices are like matching a 4 to 5 star hotel ..
Very very bad and disappointing .. 1st and last night in my life in this hotel ever...

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014

We stayed here last night as we had an early flight out this morning. We arrived thinking it would be the most basic of Hotels as is expected with a lot of airport places. I have to say that even with my high standards in regards to service, we were extremely impressed. The staff were lovely on arrival and even proactively suggested the time etc for a wake up call for our flight. Then we had dinner in the restaurant, which again considering my high standards was a great surprise as well, those pea and haloumi fritters were awesome! Really big, clean room and great shower, and the shuttle was there in about 30 seconds from asking for it this morning. Sudima, you could really teach other more highly rated hotels some great lessons in service and value. Thank you!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Artybetty1
Ashburton, New Zealand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2014

This hotel appears to has unfairly taken advantage of the lack of accommodation post earthquake. Refurbishing is underway. Rooms are Ok but very dated , there are a lot of bus trips stopping over . The Bar area and dining spills to the Foyer.
The breakfast is way too expensive and not nice. Mass produced ,boiled ham everything tastes the same.
Agree 2star at 4 star prices.

Room Tip: Go some where else
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business