“Decent size room very dated though”

Sudima Hotel Christchurch Airport
Ranked #19 of 146 Hotels in Christchurch
Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

To be fair we didn't pay to stay here as it was part of a package with a rental company. Close to the airport and they have 24 hour shuttles which is convenient. Our room was dated but quite large and they are in the process of a huge renovation. The part they have renovated looks lovely however it can take a long time going through the corridors to get to your room. Staff were lovely and the bartender even asked me for ID (what a sweet chap).
I probably wouldn't stay here more than a couple nights but nonetheless people will pay for airport convenience.

Stayed: August 2014
Write a ReviewReviews (1,860)

Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

Staff were extremely friendly and welcoming. Everything was organized before we arrived. Room was immaculate and had everything we could need. Delicious all you can eat breakfast. Loved the complimentary percolated coffee and 1/2hr free Wi-Fi too! Staying again soon definitely. Definitely recommend.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cheryl B
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Even though this hotel is undertaking renovations this has not detracted from the ambiance of the rooms or guest areas. The staff are friendly, courteous and willing to help in any way they can.
The 24 hour complimentary airport shuttle service is very welcome.
The room I had was warm, clean, quiet and well appointed. I'm not sure if it was one that had been renovated. By the look of the TV (not a flat screen), I would probably say not.
The bathroom was very clean and modern with a decent shower shower over the bath.
The only downside was the food. A bit ordinary for the price. To be fair though, I only had one meal, the burger which in itself was tasty and generous in size. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Pmec57
Reviewed 8 August 2014

I used to stay at this hotel a lot on business a few years back. I recently went back and their system had no record of my past history- that was disappointing. I just found the whole experience not so customer driven, quite clinical and not that accommodating. Room allocated was pretty average regardless of cost, I inquired and got a disinterested response. The upside I mentioned to the porter/driver Geoff of my experience and he was like a breath of fresh air, evidently spoke to the manager and got my room upgraded to what was a pleasant room. What an asset to their business Geoff is. Invited 3 guests for dinner that night and it was average, particularly for the price- their prices are definitely too high but they know they have a captive market. I would stay again for business, but will validate a few aspects of the booking first. Also they were too greedy on room hire, wouldn't hire me a interview room for 1.5 days; had to be 2 full days so on principal I went to Russley Golf Club(down the road) who were a lot more commercially and customer service focused.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Dazza63_13
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Very close to the airport - within walking distance, although on arrival you can telephone the hotel for the free shuttle. Rooms are very basic - it absolutely poured down on our arrival and the rain water was pouring over the guttering. The hotel was undergoing some renovations. Breakfast was included in the price and it was quite adequate - hot and good choice. We were hiring a motorhome the next day and the Britz depot is just round the corner - again within walking distance so we were able to leave our luggage at the hotel whilst we went to collect our vehicle.

Room Tip: We were on the ground floor - overlooking the garden area.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 August 2014

This hotel is going through renovations at the moment in main through the reception area. The rooms are very tired and outdated and in need of renovations. Our room was quite cold and there was no fan heater which made it difficult to keep warm. The shower was also are part of tqhe bathtub and while this can be normal the tub was very narrow and an older person or someone with mobility issues could easily fall, or be hurt.We had dinner at the restaurant and whilst the food was very good the people servicing were inexperienced. I didn't see this as their issue but that of management through lack of training. The staff were friendly however in the future if required I would probably look for something a bit better. I certainly would not recommend for more than one night.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 August 2014

This hotel is clean, has ample space in the rooms and if you are coming from, or going to the airport, it is extremely close and has a very good shuttle service 24 hours a day. Will certainly use again.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank GVB607