“Great location but a little outdated”

Sudima Hotel Christchurch Airport
Ranked #21 of 144 Hotels in Christchurch
Perth
“Great location but a little outdated”
Reviewed 1 October 2009

Great location but definately no frills. We were picked up from the airport promptly and dropped back in the morning to get our car. Service was good but the desk couldnt find our booking even after giving him our reservation number. We stayed upstairs and the porter was helpful. The room was very basic but had a decent bed, a heater and a wide screen tv. The bathroom was decent and clean. The noise from the airport was minimal. The hotel looks like another old hospital and the decor was quite outdated. We didnt have time to eat but it looked busy. The outdoor area looked nice.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Hobart, Tasmania
Reviewed 21 August 2009

It's clean, comfortable, basic, big. I overnighted here twice following a late arrival from Australia on route to Queenstown early the next morning and ditto for the return. You wouldn't stay here for a holiday - it is a transit hotel and it does this well. Twenty-four hour mini-bus transfers to the airport - which you could walk to in 10 minutes; efficient staff churning through the bulk plane arrivals and reliable early morning calls. This is the closest accommodation to Christchurch International. While our flights left too early to take in breakfast, looked like they had a good restaurant. If I had to overnight in Christchurch I would stay here again (but bring on direct flights to Queenstown - that's where I want to be)!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank Clearair21
Travelling NZ/Aus
Reviewed 20 August 2009

I loved the hotel Sudima. After an 11 hour bus journey from Te Anau, getting here was a dream with a $17 shuttle bus from the city. You can go in and out of the city via bus should you need it, with the bus stopping right outside the front of the hotel.

Service was wonderful, I was checked in promptly and the staff were friendly and warm, helped me with my onward travel and other information. Room service was prompt and cheap (and delicious!). The only thing I would say about the restaurant is if you are a vegetarian, there aren't many options.

I was upgraded for free because I stayed here 3 nights, which I found a generous and lovely gesture. My room was enormous with a flat screen TV, comfortable bed, huge spotless bathroom and free complimentary newspaper in the morning. Tea and coffee facilities and broadband internet were available.

It was very quiet and I had no trouble sleeping despite being so close to the airport. The free shuttle transfer at 3am was very handy for catching my onward flight. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled solo
Brisbane
Reviewed 19 August 2009

I read the reviews on here and expected this could be a bad choice but we came in a midnight and left at 7am so I figured location was more important than features. I was actually relieved that it was all OK. The place is a bit old and tired but so am I!
Clean and tidy rather than stylish and they even had a porter to help us in the middle of the night.
It is what it is - an airport hotel for a overnight stopover. Use it as that and it is fine.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank BrisbaneCanyon
Toowoomba
Reviewed 12 July 2009

Two nights at the Sudima Hotel, one at the start and one at the end of our holiday has lead me to the following.

The beds are a little on the hard side
The blankets are a little on the thin side
the family room is just a little too small.
The staff are very accomodating and friendly. The hotel is a part of the airport complex so is really convenient. Check in was friendly and quick, even at 2am and checkout was also good at 4am
They keep the awful hours that Australian Flights seem to run at. They provide a friendly service to and from the airport at those same horrible hours.
The food and room service is excellent.
If they could provide some thicker blankets or put spares in the room, I think it would make a huge difference to the room.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
Wellington
Reviewed 15 June 2009

What a huge and depressing disappointment to start and finish my recent holiday to Thailand at the Sudima. The priciest of all the hotels I stayed in during my three-week trip by a margin, the Sudima offered the worst value for money as well as the shabbiest accommodation by far. How awful to think that this may be the first (or final) experience of New Zealand that overseas visitors get to endure.

Come on Sudima - if you were charging $80-90 per night and classing yourself firmly in the budget market there'd be no grumble here. However, at $139 per night (at 'discounted' rate with Wotif.com), both rooms we were offered were far worse than what one might expect from other international budget hotel chains and barely above 'backpacker' standard. From the depressing poorly-furnished 'cheap motel' corridor to the absolutely bog-standard fittings and fixtures in the room, it is clear that the hotel rooms and public areas are in absolutely desperate need of renovation (even something as basic as a hair-dryer in the room would have been a welcome addition). I have rarely seen such a cheap and poorly-fitted grimy bathroom (it reminded me of a cross between a remand centre for disaffected youth and a poorly-run state home for the elderly).

Arriving from a late flight, it was also amazing how little the hotel had to offer in terms of providing food for weary travellers. Given that I heard one of your reception staff state quite clearly that the nearest shop was '3.5 km away', I would expect the hotel to offer a little more in terms of out-of-hours services.

The Sudima clearly believes that it can justify such room charges based on location alone. Whilst I agree that the hotel's location is convenient, I sincerely hope that someone has the initiative to open a rival hotel in the area offering greater value for money. The Sudima is currently a relic of the 1980s and I urge the hotele's management to realise that sophisticated travellers of 2009 expect more from their hard-earned dollar.

In future, I would prefer to pay the additional taxi fare to the airport from a central Christchurch hotel in order to avoid this blatant rip-off.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank CallistoWellington
London
Reviewed 9 May 2009

The hotel is right beside the airport, and their is a convenient free shuttle bus that runs to the hotel. We paid $155 NZ for a room that had seen far better days. As has been said before this place is very tired, but the beds had certainly seen better days. I woke up with a sore back. Only stay here if you have to be at the airport early and there is no other option

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple