“Convenient, but problems”

Sudima Hotel Christchurch Airport
Ranked #20 of 146 Hotels in Christchurch
Reviewed 31 October 2009

Routine motel and it really does have 24 hour pickup and delivery to the terminals in only five minutes. (If being picked up, do not go the area marked "shuttles", but rather go to the main curbside.)

but...

Internet access is expensive, but (according to their provider with whom I spoke) they didn't buy sufficient access to support their customers so that it effectively doesn't function during the evening. At 3:30 AM in the morning, it's acceptable, but even then only 512k at best, which is not acceptable to those who need to transfer files.

The dining facilities are too small for the demand. They recommend making a reservation, as often there is no room. The alternate is room service which isn't great, as the food is cool and soggy by the time it is delivered.

There are motels that must offer better service.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,818)

Reviewed 19 October 2009

great hotel everything we needed was here clean , roomy , safe

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 October 2009

Having to get a plane at 6.30am is not the best thing in the world - and I won't do it again. However because I was doing it, I needed somewhere close to the airport as I had to check in by 5am !

Finding the hotel was not a problem and the free shuttle only takes a couple of minutes. Check-in was fine and the staff friendly. The room was average and consisted of two single beds, modern bathroom, tea/coffee making facilites. It overlooked the main road to the airport.

The hotel restaurant is the only one out that way - so you are a captive audience. The menu isn't all that imaginative and the prices (for a steak anyway) are very high. We opted to get the bus from outside the front door and went to downtown Christchurch where we found a great restaurant in Columbo Street.

The main problem with the Sudima is that there is no sound-proofing between the rooms, so when people thunder down the hallway chatting and laughing at 12.30am, you get to hear the conversation. When they enter their room (next to yours) and carry on chatting until 2am, you get to hear that too ! Add to that the non-stop sound of a leaking/running water system somewhere and you will get the picture. Not a pleasant night at all with very little sleep !

Not a memorable stay - well at least not for the right reasons.

• Stayed: October 2009
Reviewed 1 October 2009

Great location but definately no frills. We were picked up from the airport promptly and dropped back in the morning to get our car. Service was good but the desk couldnt find our booking even after giving him our reservation number. We stayed upstairs and the porter was helpful. The room was very basic but had a decent bed, a heater and a wide screen tv. The bathroom was decent and clean. The noise from the airport was minimal. The hotel looks like another old hospital and the decor was quite outdated. We didnt have time to eat but it looked busy. The outdoor area looked nice.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 August 2009

It's clean, comfortable, basic, big. I overnighted here twice following a late arrival from Australia on route to Queenstown early the next morning and ditto for the return. You wouldn't stay here for a holiday - it is a transit hotel and it does this well. Twenty-four hour mini-bus transfers to the airport - which you could walk to in 10 minutes; efficient staff churning through the bulk plane arrivals and reliable early morning calls. This is the closest accommodation to Christchurch International. While our flights left too early to take in breakfast, looked like they had a good restaurant. If I had to overnight in Christchurch I would stay here again (but bring on direct flights to Queenstown - that's where I want to be)!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank Clearair21
Reviewed 20 August 2009

I loved the hotel Sudima. After an 11 hour bus journey from Te Anau, getting here was a dream with a $17 shuttle bus from the city. You can go in and out of the city via bus should you need it, with the bus stopping right outside the front of the hotel.

Service was wonderful, I was checked in promptly and the staff were friendly and warm, helped me with my onward travel and other information. Room service was prompt and cheap (and delicious!). The only thing I would say about the restaurant is if you are a vegetarian, there aren't many options.

I was upgraded for free because I stayed here 3 nights, which I found a generous and lovely gesture. My room was enormous with a flat screen TV, comfortable bed, huge spotless bathroom and free complimentary newspaper in the morning. Tea and coffee facilities and broadband internet were available.

It was very quiet and I had no trouble sleeping despite being so close to the airport. The free shuttle transfer at 3am was very handy for catching my onward flight. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 August 2009

I read the reviews on here and expected this could be a bad choice but we came in a midnight and left at 7am so I figured location was more important than features. I was actually relieved that it was all OK. The place is a bit old and tired but so am I!
Clean and tidy rather than stylish and they even had a porter to help us in the middle of the night.
It is what it is - an airport hotel for a overnight stopover. Use it as that and it is fine.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family