“Good hostel with little bit walk to town”

Chester Street Backpackers
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Good hostel with little bit walk to town”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2013

Located in a quiet neighbourhood, although it is bit distance to downtown , overall is good, our twin room is just nice and spacious with many banket standby for cold. Staff is friendly and helpful, offer us some food to share as well .

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank ngsiewcheng

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2013

Lots of character there is an old bus in the back garden which staff sleep in and the trunk of a car is actually a barbecue. Very friendly and helpful lady on reception while we were there for two nights. Our room was nice and big it is actually half of the garage that has been converted into a room so it is separate to the main house and if you wake up in the middle of the night you have to go through the garden which is only small to get to the main house. Lots of sandfly type insects in the toilet but this could be easily fixed by the owner putting mosquito netting on the outsides. My husbands pillow became his after I swapped it from side of the bed because there was a tiny stain on it. I'm sure it had been washed and was just ingrained but this a point off for me. I would stay here again but I might get a room in the main house. Very quiet when we were there so good for sleeping. Still cars for sale in the drive which I see mentioned by another reviewer who had bought one only for it to break down. Overall nice stay but not our favourite of our NZ trip. Discount to for BBH members you can buy a card here it also saves you a lot on Milford Sound cruises.

Room Tip: Stay in the main house.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mzteeree
Bedum, The Netherlands
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2013

the hostel looks nice at first glance.but it needs some upgrading.lots of dirty stains on all the walls, in the kitchen, the rooms, toilets.
it also needs some proper cleaning.when we arrived there was a german girl working there.she was really doing her best to get the hostel clean, she just worked there 2 days.but the hostel looked just dirty and not well maintained.the garden looked like it has not been maintained for a long time. it is a nice hostel, it just needs to be cleaned and painted. the beds are comfy, lounge is nice.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Paris, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2012

Chester Street Backpacker is one of the most beautiful place I stayed in New Zealand!! It's a cosy, warm and such a colourful place in Christchruch!! So glad I found this place! A very nice place to stay, a good place to meet friends and to relax!! It's the smallest hostel in town so quiet and familly atmosphere!! Felt like home! Lots of books in the lounge area and 50's SCHOOL BUS in garden and BBQ in trunk of a car!! Only in NZ!! :D

Fresh flowers and herbs all the time. Heated blanket in winter and free wifi for bbh member! AWESOME!! And Vinnie fatcat is amazing!! lol!

And I would like to reply to the very bad comment on trip few weeks ago by Chris P!! What a mean comment! I totally felt the opposite and I am not the only one! The staff is REALLY friendly.. I can't understand it!! I travel around the world with my camera and it's definitely one of the best backpacker I have ever been!!! But folks, what can we do against moaners! There are everywhere!! ^^'

I trully recommand this hostel and I miss everybody I met there!! Hope to see you again guys!!
Love,
Sissy L.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
6 Thank Sissy L
Cairns, Queensland, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2012

Arrived in Christchurch at 2AM and Sandy gave me great instructions on how to get in. She also left clear notes all the way to the room! What a great welcome to New Zealand!!! Heated blankets were a plus, awesome kitchen and reading/lounge area. Quiet, cozy and very close to city. Thanks Sandy for all your help!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank Tracy C
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2012

After travelling travelling around the world I have stayed in lots of hostels and this is by far the worst one. Not because of the place itself but because of a couple of fire breathing Eastern European females in there mid 30's who run the place.

We booked a private double room in the hostel. When we arrived we were ushered down the street into what looked like a rented house which was to be occupied by strangers. As an easy going person I didn't have a problem however what I didn't agree with was that our room HAD NO LOCK. As many travellers will appreciate when you have your life (laptop, kindle, passports, phone etc) in your backback you want it to be secure. Uncomfortable with our lack of security I expressed my concern in an extremely polite manor to one very impolite and rude female member of staff. She had nothin but a smerk on her face and basically said 'you have a private room deal with it'.

I wasn't happy with this situation because in my eyes if your items cannot be secured in your room it shouldn't be advertised as a private room but a dorm without a locker. When I explained this to her she went to find the more senior member of staff. Without knowing the story she came charging over like a bull in a china shop and her first words were 'whats your problem?' She was extremely aggressive in her approach and clearly has no inter personal skills.
This is THE WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE i have ever experienced at the hands of a hostel and this place is an absolute shame on New Zealand hospitality.

After one night wiith our items being unsecured with strangers we moved into the hostel itself where we were practically allocated the garden shed! Despite this being a somewhat result we were still met by sarcastic smerks and mutters throughout our whole stay which made us feel very uncomfortable!

I would advise everyone to stay away from this place because you feel like your invading these womens privacy! Heaven forbid should you disturb them from their knitting.

Other reasons to avoid this hostel is its poor location, It looks ok in relation to google but since the earthquake and the red zone the city has practically relocated. The area of the city you want to be in is towards the west of the red zone (Riccarton Street). They also don't take plastic so make sure you take cash.

MY ADVICE - STAY AWAY FROM THIS PLACE AT ALL COSTS

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Chris P
Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2012

Room , chill area, dining , surrounding, toilet= clean. Room with electric blanket and heater. Nice play to stay just 10-15m walk to temporary bus exchange. city centre. parking available. staff was friendly. value for money. jus t like ur home.

Room Tip: chooose near to dining & wash room.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple