“Such a great hostel”

The Old Countryhouse
Reviewed 10 March 2013

they provide all you need fot a pleasant stay in Christchurch. The hostel is very clean and the sauna and hot tub are just incredible. The helpful and kind girls on the reception help you with every problem and have accumulated experiences in terms of "what to do in New Zealand ", and are willing to share it with you.
A Bus stop is right across the street and in the neighborhood there are plenty of shopping opportunities - butcher, supermarket,Dominos Pizza etc ..

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for The Old Countryhouse

Reviewed 5 March 2013

I stayed twice at the Old Countryhouse, the first night while on tour with Magic Bus in a 4-bed-dorm, the second round in a private room. The second stay happened purely because I was so pleasantly surprised, that I booked a room for my last two nights in NZ.
I strongly disagree with some of the reviews. This place is impeccable clean, and since I had some time to kill until my shuttle to the airport, I was able to witness how thoroughly the facilities were cleaned.
The rooms are very clean and spacious, the beds comfortable,
Granted, the location isn't as central as one might wish for, but the lovely garden gives the traveller a real chance to unwind and get a rest from the still very visible damage from the earthquakes.
The Old Countryhouse is indeed one of the more expensive hostels I stayed in, but I'd rather pay a bit more, to get such comfort and friendly staff.
I would stay here again, and would recommend it without hesitation.

Reviewed 4 March 2013

I had a very good time at the Old Countryhouse, the atmosphere felt like home immediately. I especially liked the wooden beds, which made that the bunks were firm, instead of wobbly as in many other hostels. The mattresses were really comfy, and I had a few great nights of sleep there, which I really needed. Also, the kitchens were well-equipped and spacious (very important to me, no bumping into other cooks all the time) and an enjoyable place to have a cup of tea and meet lots of other travellers. Bathrooms & laundry were also good. Hostel staff was really helpful in showing me around in the area, especially appreciated their contributions to finding my way around in Christchurch, as it can be a bit hard to find your way there due to earthquake. Would really recommend staying for longer times, as it is a comfortable (even sauna!) place to relax after lots of travelling around the South Island (or when starting travelling as a place to de-jetlag and get your travel plans sorted out)

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 February 2013

As an older traveler i found this to be a really nice hostel, very clean and with a spa pool and a sauna (which I had never encountered in a hostel before). I found people to be really friendly and respectful and the staff go out of their way to help.

It is in a good location, about 20 or so minutes walk to the Botanical Garden and the bus stops outside if you don't want to walk. There are plenty of eating places nearby.

I stayed at a cheaper place last time accross the road but will definitely come back here next time as this hostel has such a nice atmosphere and I really enjoyed the quiet gardens to sit in.

Reviewed 21 February 2013

Stayed here for four days over Feb in the dorms. Has an average location and high price (but most accommodation does due to effects of earthquake of availability of places), and there were much better places to stay (that I had stayed prior to this). Its is a long walk from town down a horrible road, atleast there is a supermarket and subway nearby. The facilites are Ok, the kitchen was clean and bathrooms good...however the TV/ Lounge was ridiculous small and cramped adn the room I had only had 2 power points for 4 people AND was one of 3 rooms right next to kitchen which becomes the social place every night so was laughing, swearing, drinking etc till 3 am EACH NIGHT and the people in my room couldn't sleep. Would think management would have done something about this as a few people complained or at least asked them to move to another area but no.... For the price you pay there are much better places where you can get a better sleep and not be so isolated....just be sure to book ahead as the good places book out fast (hence why the Old countryhouse seems to not be full as often).

Room Tip: One away from the kitchen...as far as possible!
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
TheOldCountryhouse, Manager at The Old Countryhouse, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2016

Hi there,

We are sorry you did not enjoy your time with us, the local bus stops directly outside our hostel which makes accesibility to the centre a lot easier. It is dissapointing to hear that other guests were disruptive during your time with us. We do ask guests to be considerate after hours, and it is dissappointing to hear this was not what happened. Our team will definately consider what steps we can put in place to get rid of disruptiveness behaviour.

Thankyou for notifying us of the lack of power plugs, as this has been a need for guests we have since added more to rooms and social areas.

We hope this did not have an affect on your time in Christchurch.

Kind Regards

The Old Countryhouse team

Reviewed 17 February 2013

I'd echo the reviews of Dazc459 and Andrea by Bike from last month. The facilities are okay, the room was clean, but it's noisy and value for money is questionable at $110 for a double room (no ensuite) - although accommodation is harder to come by post-quake. Our room was next to a toilet with a very noisy flush that was used by other visitors throughout the night.
I have stayed here before with a group and we booked a whole house with two dorm rooms to ourselves, which worked out a lot better as the kitchen, bathrooms and noise were all our own!
We did not appreciate being charged $3 for credit card payment and $1 for EFTPOS. Why don't they just include this in the price if they have to recover this cost?

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 February 2013

Overpriced, by a long way.
The kitchen and bathrooms were never cleaned properly and the 'staff ' who were 'cleaning' didn't seem to care either. There was vomit in one toilet for two days.
Lots of late night drinking in the communal areas - hall ways, and late noise too, and people having sex in the hot tub.
Kitchens were a tip in the mornings and some of the staff seemed more interested in being very familiar with guests rather than working.
Also a large resident dog which likes to wander around, including into the kitchen to sniff and lick the crockery.....

Room Tip: Go to the YHA instead !
1  Thank shellfishtastic
TheOldCountryhouse, Owner at The Old Countryhouse, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our hostel. We truly value the opinions of our guests and we are sad to hear through this forum that we did not meet your expectations.

Providing our guests with the best possible hospitality and service has always been our main focus. The cleanliness of our hostel is of paramount importance to us, and as such we have a focused period of about 4 hours cleaning each day and additionally we carry out several checks throughout the day. We do also encourage guests to come to reception if something is amiss in one of the houses.

We do expect our guests to be courteous to each other and with that being quiet after 10.30pm is a matter of common courtesy to others and so we are disappointed that this was not the case when you were here. Naturally, this is an important issue for us so we have checked through our Night Managers records and spoken with them to establish that there was no call out to address excessive noise during February. Our Spa and Sauna are set to automatically switch off at 9 30pm, which should help to combat people using this area during the night.

Max, our dog, is a big and friendly ball of fun, he loves meeting new people and is a sociable boy. He knows that he is only allowed in the gardens but since he is only just over a year old, he also tests the limits and occasionally ends up in the ‘naughty spot’. He is only here for a couple of hours during the day if the owners are onsite and then he is off having an adventure elsewhere.

We here all truly enjoy sharing our hostel and take pride in our commitment to make everybody at home at The Old Country House and New Zealand.

We just wish you would have alerted our night managers to the situation so that you could have enjoyed your stay here. However, we hope this addressed some of your concerns and explained a little about our philosophy here to help wherever we possibly can. We would love to welcome you again in the future and wish you the very best.

Gerti Evans