“Loved it: friendly staff in brilliant hostel”

The Old Countryhouse
Whangamata, New Zealand
“Loved it: friendly staff in brilliant hostel”
Reviewed 15 January 2014

Stayed here in December and found the hostel to be fantastic. The staff were very friendly and helpful and the place was spottlessly clean.
There is a laovely large garden with lots of seats. All the other travellers were friendly and the atmospere there is laid back and chilled out, which is what I wanted after travelling in busy Indonesia.
Thanks for a great strat of my trip, and if I ever come back to Christchurhc, then only to your hostel.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Werner H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 13 January 2014

I stayed here for two nights and must say it was superb. The girls at reception are knowledgeble and helpful, the dog is adorable and the hostel is well presented. There are three villas with a number of different rooms. I stayed in a 5 bed dorm and it was great as there was plenty of space to put my stuff and I even had my own reading light.

Loved the kitchen with the hanging pots, there are plenty of utensils. I especially appreciated the sharp knives (not often found in hostels) and providing us with wine glasses.

The bean bags by the spa pool were great for sunbathing.

Really everything is great about this place and I would recommend to anyone to stay here. No need to look further.

Room Tip: From what I saw, all the rooms look good. My 5 bed rooms was in the back of teh house in the back o...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Upon arrival we were greeted by Charlotte, her hospitality and great customer service helped us book our accommodations so that we could take the TranzAlpine rail line, with bus transfers, to include hotel. She also booked our hike to the Milford Track, the World's Finest Walk and made sure we had a transportation to the train station. I can surely say, I am truly thankful for help otherwise we probably wouldn't have been able to see what we wanted. Charlotte is definitely the World's best receptionist. Once again, thank you for all your help. Mahalo, John Tengan

• Stayed January 2014
Island of Malta, Malta
Reviewed 7 January 2014 via mobile

I stayed at this hostel for a whole week and loved it. The whole place is really clean, safe and secure and most importantly comfortable. The staff who work there are mainly backpackers and they are all really nice and friendly.

The only issue with the place was the wifi, or should I say lack of it. Firstly, you only get 50mb per day for free which runs out in a couple of minutes on xhamster, and most of the time you couldn't connect anyway cos the modem would need resetting. So in the end I gave up on their wifi and bought a mobile data package for my phone which was much easier.

I will definitely stay at this hostel again and can highly recommend it to anyone of all ages and nationalities.

Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 December 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for one night and wouldn't stay again. We found it to be noisy and the double room which we payed $90 for was not much larger than the double bed it contained. We found that the single power point was frustrating given that we needed to charge multiple devices and there wasn't a bedside light which would have made the room a lot more inviting. There appears to be no sound proofing in the walls between the rooms and we don't get any enjoyment from listening to the neighbours rolling over in bed. Our room was on the outside edge of the building and the hostel is on the corner of a busy intersection. Double glazed windows would help cut out the road and pedestrain noise as well as helping to make the building more energy efficient. The 'amazing' gardens about which we had read in other reviews were far from amazing. I guess if you live in a city where there is no greenery they would be impressive. Its a shame as for a couple of hundred dollers the gardens could be amazing and low maintenance. Even spending $100 a year in annual flowers would make a huge difference. Given the name of the hostel we expected the buildings to have a lot more character and that there would be a reasonable amount of garden space, however there was neither. Personally I have an issue with security cameras being everywhere, especially when there are no warning signs and when we weren't told at check in that our stay would be monitored. I guess the need for cameras arises from the type of guests who normally stay here. Overall it was a disappointment and not worth the money.

• Stayed December 2013
TheOldCountryhouse, Manager at The Old Countryhouse, responded to this review, 12 June 2016
Hi there,

Thankyou for your feedback of our hostel. It is dissapointing to hear you had problems with noise in your bedroom, all our rooms are fully insulated which does help to supress the noise of others. However I'm sure our reception team would have happily accomodated a room change if there were issues with the location of your room.
We are sorry you did not enjoy our garden, we try to keep a mix between New Zealand native plants and flowers. We do spend over $100 a year on adding flowers and plants to our garden, we are sorry you did not find that evident and we will look at ways we can improve the presentation of the garden.

We hope that you still had a nice time in Christchurch.

Best Wishes

The Old Countryhouse team
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 26 December 2013

We only stayed at this place for one night. We had a private room with a bathroom. The vibe is pretty chilled, courtyard is nice, the bed is comfortable and the place is clean. However the room is very tiny and there is zero amenities. We don't require much but for the money we paid, an electric water kettle and couple of cups would be nice. The place itself isn't too bad but for the same amount of money we paid for the room here, we got much better room in other towns of the South Island.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Hi there,

Thankyou for your review of our hostel. We are glad you enjoyed the atmosphere here, and the general facilities. We are sorry that you found your room too small, we will definately consider adding some small amentities in to the rooms as you have suggested.

We hope you still had a great time here in Christchurch!

Best Wishes

The Old Countryhouse team
Inverness, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 5 weeks with my fiancé and it was just an amazing chilled out place (most nights) with an added bonus of a hot tub and sauna to use FOR FREE! Not come across that at all anywhere. Impressively clean too in all places and the beds are some of the comfiest I've come across in any hostel. Got to know a lot of friendly faces around here and with the calm, chilled out atmosphere of the place, it is perfect to do so round a table or sitting on the lawn. Also reflects the South Island as a whole really!

Will really miss this place and whenever I finally come back to Christchurch, this is top of the list to stay in once again!

Thank you to Pieter, Charlotte, Andy and Gerti for a fantastic stay.

Martin & Adele :)