“Great Hostel”

The Old Countryhouse
London, United Kingdom
“Great Hostel”
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Very clean hostel with friendly staff. The Sauna and spa was a real bonus as it rained for most of my 3 days there. Supermarket and Fish and Chips are around the corner, good for me as I am a lazy cook.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank wallie1987
TheOldCountryhouse, General Manager at The Old Countryhouse, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and your kind words.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Wanaka, New Zealand
Reviewed 4 April 2014

I found the Old Country House by sheer chance, but it was the luckiest turn in a series of fortunate events. I was immediately met by a highly competent front of house staff who accommodated me and my friend without reservations. being fresh of the jet I had a lot of questions. the Owner and her well trained staff did there best to answer all my questions. in the end they helped me find a car, cell phone, bank account, and navigate around and out of town. I couldn't have come so far in such short time without their enduring support. the rooms were emasculate, and cleaned every day. the kitchens where easily able to accommodate the needs all the guests even though the place was booked full the whole time I was there. they have a hot tub and sauna! awesome for after a long hard road. I have nothing but the highest regard for this establishment, they should be the gold standard of the hostel industry.
My best wishes to the staff and all future guests of the Old Country House,
James
PS: Watch out for Kristy at the front test, Dangerous that one ;)

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank sammasters23
Thank you for taking the time to review us and for your kind words.

Hope you enjoy the rest of your travels
Sydney
Reviewed 31 March 2014

The old countryhouse is a nice Hostel with all Kinds of Different Roms. They have a nice Garden area, the Feeling there is very cosy and friendly. Staff is exceptionally helpful. It is Not super Central but still in a very good location Chose to the Center. Definately recommendable.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank miicooineurope
Thank you for taking the time to review us and for your kind words for our staff as they work very hard and enjoy the encouraging responses.

Nelson, New Zealand
Reviewed 22 March 2014

This is a beautiful hostel with lovely people running it. I was in their large dorm and loved the fact that I had my own reading light and there was lots of space between the beds.

Great kitchen, great garden and great dog and they have lots of things to do and explore around Christchurch. They organised my rental car for me when I couldn't find any car for a short hire.

I loved it and really appreciated the help from Miriam.

This is definitely the best hostel I stayed in New Zealand, without doubt.

Room Tip: If you want to save money, take the large dorm.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank travelbud358
Thank you for your great review we really appreciate it.

Leipzig, Germany
Reviewed 19 March 2014 via mobile

I stayed here last week for nine nights and absolutely loved my stay here (and been telling everyone I meet heading in that direction to stay there). I didn't particularly enjoy Christchurch as much but the Hostel was great. I stayed in a 4-bed and had to move into a 6-bed dorm due to extending my stay. The hostel was one of the cleanest that I have seen throughout my past three years of travelling. It also had hangers on each wooden bunk bed for jackets which I liked a lot. The rooms were on my opinion spacious and the kitchens very clean and a great place to cook. They also had a lounge in each 'House' with TV. Free WiFi was highly appreciated!! The price is certainly justified! It felt cosy and homely. The staff was very friendly, helpful and professional! I absolutely recommend staying here even though it is about 20 minutes into town BUT therefore quiet :)

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Snowflake61
Thank you for reviewing our hostel and for your very kind words it makes a big difference for the moral of our team.

Hope you have a great trip
Seasoned traveller from Devon
Reviewed 13 March 2014 via mobile

It seems that the prices in Christchurch have increased since we were here 2 years ago. Don't take it for granted that a Backpackers are the cheapest - check Motels as well.
The Old Countryhouse is a collection of buildings with all the facilities near the centre of the city. The kitchens / bathrooms are clean and well equipped.
Check in is both formal, meaningful and efficient, this is not a 'Party Hostel!'
There's a bus route outside on the street into the City and a nearby pub (10 mins walk) for excellent beer and basic food - but not cheap! See my review of it.
Christchurch itself is still being slowly rebuilt after the earthquake nearly 3 years ago. It's worth a visit.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Chocky1948
Thank you for your review and i would agree with you that prices in Christchurch have gone up due to increased cost and us having to pay for our own repairs as Lloyds of london has not paid yet 3 years on.

I hope the rest of your trip was great
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 March 2014 via mobile

We had booked one of the main buildings in this backpackers as there was a group of us staying here while in town for a wedding we were there for 5 nights. After the wedding on returning to Christchurch after traveling around the South Island we tried to book one nights accommodation before everyone flew out the next day.

Staff were unwilling to wait an extra hour for us to arrive in christchurch and check in and were most unhelpful and condescending on the phone.... Mainly writing this review in the hope that management will be made aware that because of who they had working that Sunday that their beds remained empty and 12 people stayed elsewhere.

The previous week was a good stay, however we would be hesitant to recommend this place to others based on our experience of their customer service.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank mai-tai4life
Thank you for your review, Our office does close at 8pm for our staff to go home to thier families and you were several hours away by car so it would have been very late for them to get home and finnish for the day.

I am glad that you enjoyed your time with us while you were staying and would be more than happy to welcome you in the future.