“Nice Hotel - Close to the Airport”

Airport Gateway Motor Lodge
Ranked #8 of 144 Hotels in Christchurch
Portland, Oregon
“Nice Hotel - Close to the Airport”
Reviewed 6 April 2014

We had the opportunity to stay at the Airport Gateway when we arrived in New Zealand. Our flight had been delayed out of Sydney, and when we arrived at 1am in the morning, they were at the airport to pick us up as soon as we called them. The room was excellent. In the morning when I asked to go back to the airport to get the rental car shuttle, they insisted on taking me to the rental car facility instead. We liked the motor lodge so much, we booked it for our last night before we left NZ. The staff at check-in both times was very friendly and efficient. The only downside to this facility was the restaurant. I can't comment on the food, because we didn't get to order any. We went into the restaurant to have breakfast, the waitress had a very sour expression upon our walking in. After a few minutes, she walked up to the table and tossed the menus on the table and walked away. As this point we got up and went somewhere where they wanted our business.

The restaurant aside, the Airport Gateway Motor Lodge is an excellent choice in Christchurch for the value and convenience by the Airport.

Room Tip: Ask to stay in the newer rooms
1 Thank nichoj19

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (321)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Dunedin, New Zealand
Reviewed 5 April 2014

We were very pleased with our experience when staying at the Airport Gateway Motor Lodge. The courtesy service to the airport was great as it meant a no hassle way to get us to there for our early flight. I also liked being able to leave my car at no cost for the length of time we were away.
The room was also very spacious and very comfortable.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Dunedin, New Zealand
Reviewed 2 April 2014

One of best motels I ever stayed in my life.I'm 52,lived in few countries. Wow the best value for money.I was going to Auckland and return,so Shuttle dropped me to the Airport, motel kept my car for free,been picked up on arrival again.Excellent,very friendly stuff.So so happy! !!

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank 37Traveler
Danville, California, United States
Reviewed 1 April 2014

Yes, the room was spacious, clean and comfortable. The location is excellent being just blocks from the international airport. The shuttle to the airport was a bonus. The staff at check-in were efficient and courteous. Now to the bad stuff. There is a restaurant and bar, of sorts, at the motor lodge. Warning!!!!! DO NOT EVER EAT THERE. I ordered salmon. It was served all but raw. I asked the waitress to take it back to the kitchen and let the cook know that the salmon was undercooked. The waitress returned to the table with the undercooked salmon notifying me that the cook said that this was the way she always prepared salmon and that if I did not like it I would have to wait 30 minutes for another serving! After composing myself, I suggested the fish be placed in the microwave. $29 for undercooked salmon and a very rude cook was not what I had planned for dinner. Afterward, I went to the front desk and asked to see the manager, who I found out had left for the day. I told the front desk person what had happened. He told me that this was the 2nd complaint in 2 days about the cook. He gave me the e-mail address for the manager of the motor lodge. That evening I wrote a detailed e-mail to the manager. I never heard a single word back. Go figure. Terrible cook, terrible management.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 31 March 2014

I stayed here as an overnight between and late arriving international flight and early departure on the TranzAlpine train to Greymouth (well worth doing, by the way).

Was picked up promptly after letting them know I had arrived and was taken straight to my room, no need to visit the front desk!

The staff were very friendly, even organised a taxi to pick me up in the morning to take me to the train station, one less thing to figure out late at night!

Room was good sized, very clean and tidy, and had everything you needed.

Did not spend any time in Christchurch so cannot comment on it's location and getting around town, but the rooms would be suitable to a longer stay if you wanted to.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 29 March 2014

We stayed at the Airport Gateway for our last night in New Zealand before our early flight out to Sydney. The hotel is designed to cater for those guests arriving or departing from Christchurch airport and offers a very efficient shuttle service from/to the airport. Check-in was handled very efficiently and the lady at the desk asked us about our flight time to arrange the shuttle pick-up the following morning.

Our room was located in one of the older wings. This was not a problem as the rooms, although not new or especially modern, are well kept and clean. We read on some other reviews about the difference between the two wings. As far as we understood you have to book a room at the Airport Boutique Motor Lodge in order to get a modern room. The Airport Gateway Motor Lodge, instead, will book you in one of the older wings.

The departure morning, our shuttle was waiting in front of the room 5 minutes before the agreed time and we were at the airport less than 10 minutes later. All-in-all, we would suggest this property if you have an early flight out or a late flight in. It offers decent value and a clean and functional accomodation.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank GioVale20
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 27 March 2014

Stayed here late on the 12 March 2014 and again on the 22 March. So close to the airport yet didn't hear any planes. The first stay was in a new room and it had excellent appointments. The second visit was in an older room with a separate bedroom and large living area. The free transfers are immediate and friendly. Highly recommend and would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for the newer rooms if available.