“Why no lifts, Why!?”

Ranked #84 of 144 Hotels in Christchurch
Brisbane, Australia
“Why no lifts, Why!?”
Reviewed 11 December 2009

Very friendly reception, we booked for 2 separate nights on our 1st day of the trip and last day in NZ and they without hesitation charged us immediately for both. So in our mind we have to rush back on time no matter what during our last day because we paid for the room already... wasn't very nice to know at the start although we were well prepared.

Our room is on second floor and there's no lifts... to our great disappointment. The stairs not that high so the heavy suitcases were good for muscle training for the rest of our trip in sourth island. We had never seen the restuarant open either. The room itself is pretty average but roomy, however, the balcony was connected to the room nextdoor. This was the first place I tried NZ stupidest shower tap design. The knob is a one-way turn from cold to hot with no in between options and the water stream was pretty strong (again no adjustment possible). As I was a tourist not knowing this kind of taps, I wasnt impressed that I had to be splashed by a stream of cold water in the middle of a cold night before getting my hot water.

We rented a car next day as well but it took me so long to find a way to get into that one way drive in front of the motel as there were so many no right turns single ways in NZ it was really not funny. But we loved the petrol station right next door. It was a good average but given there were so many other choice in town, we could have chosen a better location to stay.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kaosc

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Melbourne
Reviewed 9 December 2009

For $75 for 3 people with free parking passes the value test of a standard motel, especially as it is not far from the CBD. There are stairs to navigate to get to your room, so it is preferable not to have too much luggage if you are on an upper floor. The negative about the room was only having a double bed. It is a bit tricky getting to the motel as it is near an intersection where you are unable to turn right, and we ended up doing u-turns in the first side street. There is also a restaurant upstairs in the building which seems to have closed down a while ago, which does not create a positive vibe about the place.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
australia
Reviewed 29 July 2009

We stayed here for our holiday and was amazed at the attention to deatail in the rooms. They were small but had everything that you needed. My husband was'nt that fussed in having to carry up our suit cases severel flights of stairs but the rooms and the friendly staff made up for that.We look forward to our next stay.

• Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
Geelong
Reviewed 17 July 2009

An okay motel. Location was at the top of the city, along with numerous other hotels/motels. It had a small kitchenette, although no microwave or hot plate. So really not much point to it. The bar fridge throughout the night was extremly loud.The bathroom was not the cleanest. There was no fan either in bathroom so when you showered everything got very steamy and moist. Reasonably priced for what you got.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
FL
Reviewed 1 July 2008

Great little Motel, very handy for families with younger kids because McDonalds is right next door with the playground! The Motel was well stocked with everything we needed and a full kitchen. The rooms are small but everything you need is there. Great attention to detail.

Stayed June 2008
England
Reviewed 25 February 2006

I notified this hotel that I would be arriving after midnight, and they gave me instructions how to find my room - good, but my room was on the third floor and at the far end of the corridor. So I had to drag my heavy suitcase up 6 flights of stairs and so I must have disturbed other guests. I was exhausted! Then, as I left 3 days later at 7.00am again I must have disturbed guests. The brochure does not state that the hotel has 3 floors. The room was very pleasant, clean and well-equipped with mini-kitchen and the staff were pleasant. But this hotel is not suitable for the elderly, disabled or anyone with young children.

The hotel has a good location and there are plenty of restaurants close by. Downtown is about 20 mins walk.

5 Thank female-tourist