“A very cosy friendly place to stay”

Casino Court Motor Lodge
Ranked #86 of 146 Hotels in Christchurch
Reviewed 12 July 2012

I am very surprised at the review dated June 26. We were guests at this motel for four weeks. We found the owners very friendly and went to amazing trouble to accommodate us during the month of June. We were displaced from our home at short notice to enable repairs and the folk at this establishment went to the effort of accommodating us, our daughter and family of tiny people who was visiting from Sydney as well as helping us out when the repairs were not finished on time. We found the staff and owners professional and friendly and would recommend the place to anyone who wants a good, cosy away from home feeling place to stay.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank JuliaNewZealand

Reviewed 26 June 2012

I booked a night at this motel on Expedia but as I did not receive confirmation of this booking, I cancelled the booking within 24 hours of making the booking (as is allowed by Expedia) and booked another motel.
Two weeks later, after I returned from my stay in Christchurch, I was aghast to receive an email from the manager advising that as I was a "no-show", my credit card had been debited for the full accommodation charge.
I immediately advised the manager of my cancellation two weeks' prior and he claimed he never recieved the cancellation from Expedia.
I then contacted Expedia who assured me they did recieve the cancellation and had notified the manager of the cancellation.
The manager subsequently conceded that we did indeed cancel with Expedia well in advance of the motel's cancellation deadline but he refuses to refund the fraudulent amount he debited to our credit card.
Please be warned that if you have a problem with a booking or any other matter in respect of this motel, our experience proves that the manager is very unlikely to act in a moral and ethical way since his attitude is "I'll keep the money anyway", despite acknowledging that we cancelled with Expedia.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank PDowney
Management response:Responded 3 July 2012

It’s very disappointing to both guest and business owner when a dispute does not reach a mutually acceptable resolution.

We have made five international telephone calls and sent several e-mail messages to Mr. Downey’s third party agent, Expedia in an effort to solve this issue on his behalf. Despite his or his agent’s assertions to him, at no stage did we receive a call, e-mail, fax or letter canceling Mr. Downey’s reservation with us.

All we require from Expedia or Mr. Downey is either a copy of any e-mail message sent to us canceling his booking or a copy of the automated fax message that is also sent when a reservation is cancelled via Expedia. Despite repeated requests, neither has been forthcoming, leading us to surmise that no such cancellation documentation exists.

We held a room in good faith for Mr. Downey. Indeed, with the acute accommodation shortage in Christchurch at present, we turned away many potential clients whilst holding this room on his behalf.

Our cancellation policy is clearly stated on all our correspondence and in the event of a guest needing to cancel a booking within the noted 48 hour period, we make every endeavor to re-let the room on their behalf. so no charge is incurred by them. Again, due to the acute shortage of rooms available in Christchurch, this is something we are able to do almost every time. It is something we would have done for Mr. Downey had we received any notification from either him or his agent that he no longer required a room.

Even at this late stage, we would be happy to immediately refund the full room charge back to Mr. Downey on receipt of the copy cancellation correspondence.

Reviewed 22 March 2012

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Annie M
Reviewed 13 November 2010

Excellent location, walking distance to Merival and Christchruch Cantre.
We had an excellent stay for 6 nights with wonderful service.
Thanks

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Holiday09Nz
Reviewed 11 October 2010

We stopped at this lovely motel only 10 mins walk outside of central Christchurch and were very happy with the room and service provided. The owners seemed very willing to help us and knew a lot about the local area even pointing out a fantastic route for me to have a jog around the close by Hagley Park.

The rooms were spotless and were nicely designed with plenty of room and we felt for the price that we had made the right choice. We will happily return next time we are in Christchurch

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Craiggoddard
Reviewed 13 May 2010

I've stayed at Casino Court at least a couple of times a year for several years now and it has become like my home away from home when I am flying in and out of Christchurch. Super easy to get to from the airport and then be within walking distance of most things I need to be near for a day or two in Christchurch.

Matt and Reetah recognise me as a regular customer and I've had the opportunity to stay in both the standard and superior units. The freindly and personal service they give is probably the hook that will keep me coming back. They do go out of their way to make you welcome and comfortable at Casino Court.

Thanks and see you again soon!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank FiveStarVince
Reviewed 2 February 2010

Myself and my family have stayed at this motel on several occasions now whilst visiting New Zealand. The young couple who run the motel couldn´t do enough to help us and the rooms are big, spacious, and modern. The location of the motel is great - not right in the center of the city, but close enough to walk or get a short cab ride to (if you´re not feeling fit!). There are plenty of restaurants nearby and of course the casino is close, which was a great night out. While it does not have the luxury of a hotel (no bar or restaurant) if you are looking a good value place to stay then I would definitely recommend this motel.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with family