“clean and adequate”

Sherborne Motor Lodge
Ranked #58 of 146 Hotels in Christchurch
Reviewed 5 March 2014

We were only here for a very short night before our flight the next morning. It was easy to find from the airport and not too far from the downtown area. The staff was very friendly and helpful in recommending restaurants and fuel stations. The room was clean and adequate for our short stay.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Malcolm G, Manager at Sherborne Motor Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2014

Thanks for your positive feedback. We have a good group of cleaners who try hard to maintain our rooms to a top standard and Linda and I always try to give our guests all the local info they need.

There are newer reviews for Sherborne Motor Lodge

Reviewed 3 March 2014

Our family stayed here at the beginning of our holiday. It was a perfect choice - clean, quiet and comfortable, a well equipped kitchen and nice bathroom. Malcolm and Linda were incredibly helpful after we discovered we had left our computer tablet behind. It was no trouble for them: they packed it carefully and shipped it to our next accommodation. It arrived safely. We are very grateful to them for taking such good care of us.

Room Tip: A nice, quiet location
1  Thank Julianne T
Malcolm G, Manager at Sherborne Motor Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2014

It was no trouble at all, happy to help - I've had some personal experience of losing expensive items when I've been away. All I did was what I would've liked to have been done for me.

Reviewed 24 February 2014

On arrival and booking in, we were greeted by Malcolm who was friendly and informative about the local area. The unit was very clean, and serviced daily during our stay which was excellent. Very comfortable, good location and quiet. Overall a pleasant experience. Will stay again when in Christchurch.

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Sanbanjo
Malcolm G, Manager at Sherborne Motor Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2014

Thanks for the positive comments. We do try hard to give our guests what they need.

Reviewed 21 February 2014

We had a ground floor 1-bed room with a spa. It is very dated and needing renovation. The spa had a chip in the base and mouldy silicone around the edges. It used to have a straight shower curtain as the holes were in the tiles from that. It now has a round curtain to catch all the water, not sure why as there was no water pressure when having a shower. After the shower I got a free body defoliation as the towels were like sandpaper. Whilst defoliating my face with the towel, I rubbed some other persons hair into my face - not a pube, thank god, but a woman's hair from her head. Their was paint missing from around the switches and the exhaust fan was disgusting. The beds need replacing...Perhaps the manager should sell his Bentley and spend some of the money renovating. Pity it survived the earthquake. Only positives was it is close to an Irish pub and the manager was friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Plenty of other Motels close by.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Terry C

If only it were as simple as selling my car to pay for renovating a couple of rooms. A major difficulty in post-earthquake Christchurch is attracting tradesmen to do these little nuisance jobs when there's more money to be made with less hassle, doing new builds. I can't say I blame them but it's very frustrating when you're trying to maintain a certain standard.
The reviewer seemed like a real nice, pragmatic, typical Aussie guy when I was chatting with him. He managed to hide his green-eyed monster real well - until he got to his computer keyboard.
The towels we can do something about easily. We just need to resist the temptation to dry them on the line. Machine drying them gives a much softer result. There are those who realise that and are prepared to live with stiff towels, knowing they were dried naturally. We can't please everybody. Myself, I prefer them soft.
Beds are a problem in motels. I am well aware that a bed is a very personal thing and that any one bed isn't going to suit everyone so, even if I did take his advice and buy new beds, we'd still get complaints from people who found them too soft, too hard or too high or too low or too short. or not wide enough.
The comment that this place needs a bulldozer is just plain ridiculous. In a lot of ways, it is a pity the motel survived the earthquakes as it would've been demolished and rebuilt new and then we wouldn't be faced with some of the difficulties we have now. But I don't think it'd matter to this guy, knowing what sort of car I drive (which I worked very hard all my life for, by the way), he'd still find something to complain about.

Reviewed 20 February 2014

A very clean, spacious room with separate bedroom, kitchenette and living room located about a 20 minute walk from the city centre and 2 blocks from grocery store and restaurants. It took us longer to drive to the city centre because of the construction mess on the roads and buildings in the aftermath of the 2011 earthquake. Comfortable bed in a relatively quiet area. Will return to this motel if we come back to Christchurch

Room Tip: Book a room as far in advance for this motel or any place in Christchurch due to the shortage of bed...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Charlie499270
Malcolm G, Owner at Sherborne Motor Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2014

Thanks for your comments - and good advice regarding Christchurch roads at present. It's nice to know that someone appreciates our honest efforts to cater to everyone's needs.

Reviewed 18 February 2014

The owner could hardly make us feel less welcome as he took my $180 - for one night. Then we were directed to a unit so dark we needed the lights on - at 4pm on a sunny day!

I somehow wasn't surprised when I was asked to RETURN the newspaper after I'd read it when I went to collect it from the office the following morning!

The owners claim to have introduced 'quality assessments'... Now I think they need to work on their Customer Service. We weren't made to feel welcome & could not recommend the place at all. Wouldn't go back.

1  Thank Bruce M

I'm kinda stunned by the comment that I was "uninviting". I often receive praise in these forums for being friendly and helpful which is what I try to be. I guess we all have our off-days - and there was a day last week when I'd sat down to a meal and picked up my knife and fork when the office bell went.I have no problem with that - it's part of the deal in a Ma 'n Pa motel such as ours AND it's what microwaves are for. Two more parties arrived while I was dealing with the first so, rather than take all the time in the world with each, I just did what had to be done to keep the new arrivals waiting for no longer than necessary. This guest may not have been part of that but this is the sort of thing that can happen.

Room 7 is usually popular at this time of year because, being shaded, it has the advantage of being cooler than other rooms which are in direct sunlight all day. As it has an entire building between it and the street, there is also less disturbance from passing traffic.

In the year that we've owned this business, we've been asked for the daily paper (I think) five times. The previous owner used to provide one for every unit every day but when he realized what a waste of money this was(not to mention the world's resources) he just bought one each day and made it available at reception. When we bought the business we made no changes because our predecessor had worked in accommodation all his life and changing a winning formula seemed like folly. Of course when somebody wants to read the paper, we explain the situation and request that it be returned in case another guest would like to see it.So far we've never been asked for a paper twice in one day - but we know it could happen. At no time is any suggestion made that any guest should hurry perusal of the paper.

Reviewed 26 January 2014

We stayed 2 nights at the Sherborne Motor Lodge. It was easy to find from the airport and is only a 5 minute drive to the city. There was a great pub a short walk up the road that had excellent food and local beers. It is a typical motel style room for a family with the main bed in the living area and 2 single beds in a separate room. It was very clean and the kitchen area was well equipped. We were in one of the rear units and had no traffic noise. The owners were very helpful and even loaned us a cooler pack and ice bricks for our touring holiday which we returned when passing back through Christchurch prior to flying home.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Pete W

Thanks for your comments. I'm sure that other prospective guests will find them helpful - although other rooms do have different bedding configurations to cater to different sized groups.