“Great view. ”
Review of Lyttelton

Lyttelton
Ranked #34 of 240 things to do in Christchurch
Reviewed 21 August 2014 via mobile

I took my two sons for a drive here from Christchurch. It was a pleasant drive and Lyttelton itself has beautiful views! We drive up to get a good view and would have gone on the walk to the lookout (sign says 40 minute walk) but my son fell asleep on the way and I didn't want to wake him. My eldest son & I enjoyed the view from the car & had a snack looking out. We went for a drive along the Coast as the rain came over and I imagine it would have been lovely on a clearer day!

There are newer reviews for Lyttelton

Reviewed 21 April 2014

The views from above Lyttelton over the harbour area are amazing and well worth a visit. It is a shame that currently cruise ships no longer go into Lyttelton but now go to Akaroa which means that Christchurch misses out on the business.

1  Thank Barry M
Reviewed 28 February 2014

Lyttelton has a charm of its own. It is a working port and must be reviewed on its merits. Good to see life these days in a port like this with massive boats waiting to be loaded and unloaded with containers, coming and going, this is providing employment and is encouraging to watch. The ferry across the bay to Diamond Harbour was good value for money and once again, very friendly staff. On our return we had a drink and lite bite in the Irish Bar with outdoor views of the port. Brenda who served us had excellent customer service skills and it was good to chat to locals who were obviously very proud to live in this area. So I have reviewed Lyttelton for what it is and was more than happy to have visited it.

Reviewed 28 February 2014

Unfortunately the day I visited this town the weather was poor and there was nothing here to see. The view is generally obscured by the big shipping boats. It appears to be a logging town as there were many piles of logs toward the harbour. I could not find many businesses open and I admit there was a slightly depressing vibe.

Reviewed 15 March 2013

Lyttleton was a bohemian, thriving town. It's eclectic and filled with many talented musicians. Then, earthquakes struck and it's never the same again. Many iconic establishments are gone. So are many interesting buildings from the past. The place now is filled with empty barren sites that are awaiting for reconstruction to happen. Coming here is to remind yourself of sad things that occur to Canterbury. Its surrounding is beautiful, though. This is where Peter Jackson, of the Lords of the Rings fame shot the movie, the Frighteners at its nearby Cemetery.