“Quiet good actually!”

Ranked #72 of 144 Hotels in Christchurch
Methven, null, New Zealand
“Quiet good actually!”
Reviewed 17 August 2014

I read some other reports and look at the photo's and thought - well it's where we are to stay so give it a go! A group of us stayed here and it's not that bad. I was actually very impressed. I did have to say to myself - it's not a 5 star hotel, it's a motel!! We stayed in rooms 1,2 and 3.The beds are super comfortable with great pillows. Yeah the kitchen, bathroom are in need of doing up but, that cost's money and they still work. The units were very clean. No dust or marks anywhere. Our group enjoyed our stay. Thanks.

Room Tip: It is on a main road, Bealey Ave however when I go to sleep, I sleep through anything. And it was a...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
singapore
Reviewed 2 January 2014 via mobile

We were travelling in NZ for 2 weeks and stayed at many different places as we were in Ashburton, Mt cook, Queenstown, Wanaka, Franz alpine, Greymouth. THis is definitely the WORST place that we have stayed. We didn't miss Singapore until we landed at this motel and that's when we Really wanted to go home. I had slept very well in NZ throughout my trip. It was here that I couldn't get any sleep. The reason is that the bed was beside a cupboard. Whole night through, there was tapping, knocking, scampering noises coming from the cupboard which not only totally freaked me out but because of the noise, I couldn't fall asleep. My husband initially asked me if there might be an insect in the cupboard making the noises but we both agreed that it's unlikely to be insect as the noise is quite loud. My husband then said that he thinks there might be rats in the cupboard. Both of us were too afraid to open the cupboard to check. Bottomline is - I would never stay here again.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank SingaporeNosy
61AnnetteO, Manager at Aotea Motel, responded to this review, 13 January 2014
Thank you for taking your time to write your review. Please be assured we take a great deal of pride in presenting our units to customers in a high standard of cleanliness. After our guests vacate units all cupboards drawers etc are checked for anything left behind, cleanliness, repairs required etc. We are also rated by Qualmart which rates us on a huge range of requirements.
I am totally mystified about your comments & have found nothing to justify these on recent investigations in any of our units.
It is unfortunate this matter was not bought to our attention personally at the time. We do strive for happy customers who enjoy their stay & wish to return as that is the reason we are in business.
Whakatane, New Zealand
Reviewed 18 December 2013

Great place to stay very friendly owners and very clean and comfortable. From the moment I arrived they were wonderful.For the price I paid to stay here I thought it was excellent. I frequent Christchurch alot nowadays and will definitely return to the Aotea Motel.It has been a very long time since I have stayed in a motel with such a comfy bed!!! See you in Feb, Neil Robinson Whakatane

Room Tip: I had the end room at the top, very quiet. Although traffic noise doesnt bother me anyway!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Hamilton & Waikato Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 11 December 2013

Yes very dated, room 10 very small, 2 single beds in one room using what looked like old book case with loads of nail holes as an ineffective bed head, no space for bags, other bedroom had ok queen bed, so called lounge despite 4 person sleeping spaces had 2 seater couch, had to use dining chairs, not the best way to relax. Silverfish in beds NOT good. Cleanliness otherwise ok. Management okay until you needed something. Cancelling a booking due to change in our circumstances for what would have been our 2nd stay was met with a very curt response. Is what you would expect for price. Overall okay but wouldnt stay again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Nelson, New Zealand
Reviewed 30 October 2013

I was a bit torn writing this, some good bits, some not so good.

Good
-handy location
-generally very clean(see need to improve part)
-comfy bed
-decent hot water
-quiet if back from the road

Need to improve
-silverfish in room (in shower each morning and in plates)
-spider webs in plate cupboards
-dated interior, shower very dated
-parts need repainting, ie bathroom, door edges
-wifi should be provided free
-no information booklet in room re services, wifi purchase etc

It's not cheap to stay at $120 per night so I would expect to see improvements.
Management not that interested when I informed them of silverfish insects. I have a pic of the silverfish but won't post as they are gross!

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 11 October 2013

Just recently my partner and I spent two nights at this motel and before we came down I did a lot of research on places to stay. From the moment we arrived the serivce was excellent and always with a smile! it was def the best value for money out all the others. The rooms were nice and tidy and they could not do enough for us.

Thanks so much guys for making our stay wonderful and I will reccomend you to anyone visiting Christchurch and especially if you're on a budget and wanting the best for your money!!!

See you again soon
David Maynard (Auckland)

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Terrigal, Australia
Reviewed 6 September 2013

Recently spend 2 nights here. As a unit, great to have separate bedroom and lounge area, kitchen and bathroom. Although not new and modern-looking, the rooms fit the bill i.e. value for money. The bathroom shower looked like something out of the 1960s but the hot water was great so I'm not complaining. As weather was very cool- the electric blanket was put to good use. Didn't get to use the kitchen much but had the required equipment. Having room upstairs just required me to carry my 23kg bag up the 1 flight of external steps.

Room Tip: Unit 2 upstairs near steps- if light sleeper can hear everyone coming up and down steps.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business