“Just what I needed”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Christchurch
Shunyata Health Retreat / Day Spa
Reviewed 1 September 2013

I was looking for a retreat that would provide me with rest, rejuvenation and healing. I found all of these things at Shunyata. I came away feeling like I had found myself and my way again after having been through a tough time in my life. Paru has a gift for healing and is an inspiration. She made me feel at home and took care of me in a way that enabled me to relax. It was a safe place for me to let go of some emotions that I had not been able to release in the past. This has given me some freedom and peace within myself. With Paru's help, I was able to work out what I need to do to get more out of life and to fulfill my life purpose. Thanks Paru. You are amazing! xox

Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Carmel F
There are newer reviews for Shunyata Health Retreat / Day Spa

Reviewed 4 August 2013

What an amazing place Shunyata is. If you are looking for a friendly, homely retreat with special attention....then this is the place for you. Paru is welcoming and awesome at her job. She superbly takes you through The Journey, massages, treatments, yoga, sauna.....and so much more. Paru is extremely knowledgeable and passionate about what she does. I learnt so much from her!
Shunyata is an awesome for some quality self improvement and some R and R. GREAT food too.
thanks Paru!!!!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Kate H
paru_12, Owner at Shunyata Health Retreat / Day Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2013

Kate you came at a truly busy time when I wasn't well myself and your kind words and
amazing willingness and courage to change your life truly touched me. I feel your life
is about to take an amazing turn - deeper, more fun like and joyous because you deserve.

Keep sharing that gorgeous kindness to the world

Reviewed 17 June 2013

This month I just returned from my second retreat at Shunyata. It was as magnificent as the first retreat. I had found what I learnt from the first retreat, benefit me still and culminated in my overall improved health and wellbeing. The accomodation is just too good to be true, and the views from the rooms, of snow-capped mountains - are something from a story book. The rooms are kept toasty warm through the winter days and nights, with a log fire each night (excellent for your evening meditation and dinner).
I did the liver de-tox and weigtloss retreats each time. It is a joy to have someone else cook and serve you for a whole week! The food is yummy and the owner is flexible and accomodates you tastes - all menus and activities are chosen by the guest.
I chose Shunyata from other retreats in Australia/Asia as the owner was quick to repsond to my emails and I felt that I could trust her - considering I was booking from Australia. Retreats in Australia are at least double the cost of Shunyata retreats (with airfare) - so I am more than happy to recommend people in Oz to travel to this NZ retreat as it is value for money and value for your health and wellbeing.
Each visit I was able to totally rest with 8-10 hour sleeps at night and afternoon naps. The environment and treatments encourage you to "let go" of stress/worry and live in the present time.
Both visits I was happy with my weight loss, I could have excercised more and lost more, however that was not my main aim, which was to relax and enjoy the top quality service.
The one-to-one service gives clients the choice of treatments and meals, while the owner is very astute to provide the guest with enough privacy at all times. This is a skill not all people have and what set this retreat apart from others is you are given time to yourself, for yourself - and the owner gently guides you through the daily routine.
I would like to return to Shunyata in a year or two, and hope that many other people take this opportunity to benefit from the resort and stunning surrounding Diamond Harbour.

Room Tip: Ask for the corner room overlooking the harbour
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
paru_12, Owner at Shunyata Health Retreat / Day Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2013

Rachel wanted different things this time around - so we accommodated her accordingly.
It was lovely to combine, health, healing and rest for you this time and would always
love you back as you truly receive and use Shunyata in the most healthy way,
Love to you

Reviewed 3 June 2013

I feel fantastic after the time I spent with Paru...emotionally and physically! This a wonderful retreat of healing and discovery. I went there with a heavy heart, homesick for family and friends, and a tempremental digestive system. Paru brought peace and friendship, as well as figuring out the cause of my digestive issues! I experienced a lovely warm sauna, whilst watching the snow outside fall on the mountains....yoga....a warm fire, as I ate delicious home cooked food.... massage, hydrobath and of course, The Journey, which has set me free to live without fear! Thank you Paru, I will return x

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo

Was amazing to have you here and see how quickly you got it after many years of the spiritual search When the student is ready the teacher appears and this has been my journey as well.
Love to you and hope to see you again beautiful being.

Reviewed 5 May 2013

I was so lucky to have 4 nights at Paru's amazing piece of paradise in Diamond Harbour. Having had a very stressful few months I thought I would seek out a place of peace and solace. I certainly got that and more! I don't think I have ever felt so spoilt and so looked after ever. I indulged myself in everything Paru had to offer and I feel amazing! With her wonderful direction through the Journey I have been able to unblock and KEEP UNBLOCKED, some pretty interesting "fears". 10 days later I still feel calm and am surprising myself with my gentle assertiveness! (and believe me, that is NOT how I would have described myself in the past - aggressive yes, assertive no!). It feels GREAT to allow myself to be me . . . warts and all! Apart from all that stuff (!!) I indulged myself in wonderful steam treatments, massage, cranial, facials, yoga, meditation, DVD's, walks along the coastal walkway and trips to the beach with Paru and crew, and YES - swimming! It was amazing. THANK YOU Paru. You have helped me shift some very old "stuff" and I will always be grateful. Aside from that, my skin is amazing and I feel great! Bless you! I am ABSOLUTELY coming back!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
paru_12, Owner at Shunyata Health Retreat / Day Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2013

I opened Shunyata for this reason - Sally had been on a journey for many years but was
ready to jump to the next level - her higher self - she became the finder and not the seeker
love to u Sally

Reviewed 3 April 2013

I had a wonderful experience of Shunyata’s ‘Ultimate Bliss Retreat’ – it definitely lived up to its name!
The Journey experience and ‘live in’ counselling have assisted me to heal, discover my true self and to live each day with a smiling happy face.
The meals Paru prepared were amazing, my appetite and love of food has now returned after months of uninspired and dysfunctional eating.

Paru, you are an amazing woman and I thank you for your time, wisdom and healing hands.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
paru_12, Owner at Shunyata Health Retreat / Day Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2013

Was so gorgeous to see you dive into your true self and let behind the story. You made me
remember why I love my work. Love to you.

Reviewed 13 March 2013

It was a wonderful experience at Shunyata. Paru gives of herself 110% and is a very wise and charismatic woman. I did the detox/liver cleanse and found that my mind was also 'detoxed' whilst spending time with Paru. Paru's passion and skill of passing on the best of what she has discovered on her own journey is very evident.

I highly recommend this unique experience, particularly in a world where time is money. It is completely the opposite at Shunyata and you leave feeling lighter in body and spirit. Do it! Catherine Bos

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo