“The Path to Unconditional Love”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Christchurch
Shunyata Health Retreat / Day Spa
Eastern Bush, null, New Zealand
“The Path to Unconditional Love”
Reviewed 12 October 2013

My husband and I have 3 young children and farm at the bottom of the South Island. Things are always very 'full on' and I was desperate for a break away, a chance to wind down, an understanding of what I really need in my life and for someone to fuss over me for a bit. I found all of this and more at Shunyata! It really is bliss to have someone cook (beautiful meals) and do the dishes for you for a whole week.

For a long time I had the feeling that events were happening in my life to help teach me my 'life lessons', but I felt like I was muddling through things. Paru helped me clarify ideas and re-ignite my passion for learning more about myself, life and the universe. She also helped me understand what an important thing unconditional love is!

Thankyou so much Paru for your love and respect, and for helping me find my sparkle.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Rebecca M
paru_12, Owner at Shunyata Health Retreat / Day Spa, responded to this review, 4 January 2014
You knew so much and yet you still stayed open to new beginnings. What a deep
humble and gorgeous mum you truly are - may your children revel in your awakening
love to you down south

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 16 September 2013

After a moving cities and after a couple of challenging years I found myself needing time and help to heal the soul and give my mind and body some much needed attention.
The idea of a retreat seemed like a damn fine idea, however the thought of getting on a plane and spending time in a beauty spa in the Pacific wasn't quite what I was looking for. I required something more extensive than a deep tissue massage, more rejuvenating than a full body exfoliation.
Which is how I discovered Shunyata Health Retreat and Day Spa, a mere 45 drive (or 10 minute ferry ride) from Christchurch via Lyttleton.
Stepping through the door of Shunyata is an invitation into Paru Clark's, home and the embodiment of her vision and passion. Paru brings you energy and authenticity in an unpretentious, picturesque and nurturing environment. She offers a range of options and services depending on your requirements. Luckily I was not there for the detox/weight loss, so was able to appreciate Paru's love of food with her wonderful, healthy and flavoursome meals, often created with locally grown or produced ingredients.
My time at Shunyata was a mix of emotional healing using The Journey technique, something I was unfamiliar with. Keeping an open mind, and trusting Paru to guide me, made this a transformative and successful experience. After this was an encounter with the Ozone Sauna, where my body was encased and steamed while my head remained outside, allowing me to enjoy a spectacular view of Purau Bay. Refreshed, I was free to roam the garden, sit on the deck or recline in the hammock… the perfect place for an afternoon snooze.
After dinner with the other resident guest, Paru organised a DVD and then it was time for a deep and restful sleep.
The next day was a massage, canio-sacral work, reflexology, more relaxation, animated discussions with Paru about life experiences, developing options for better practices of personal wellbeing — Shunyata is no quick fix, rather a place that can put you on a better path, should you choose to commit — more delicious meals and a few special moments with the fluffy, friendly feline of the house.
My final day was the opportunity for another Journey, a yoga session and a walk around Diamond Harbour, before it was time to return to my life beyond Banks Peninsula.
It has been a month and a half since my visit. The issues that plagued and disrupted my life rarely affect me now. Friends comment at how well - and much younger - I look. The decision to book a few days at Shunyata has been very worthwhile, with ongoing positive results. A visit to Shunyata is well chosen investment of your time and money in return for ongoing personal wellbeing.

Room Tip: Ask for the view overlooking the bay
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
I am so happy that you are pregnant and bringing a conscious being into this world.
Thank you for your guidance in computer mastery for shunyata and may you revel
in motherhood. Love always Paru
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 13 September 2013

I went to Shunyata feeling physically and emotionally burnt out with the stress of everyday life. I had been carrying baggage through my life that was just not helping me but was unsure of how to get rid of it and move forward in the next stage of my life (or what I was actually looking for!). As soon as I met Paru I knew I this would be a magical retreat and things would be shifted. Paru is so welcoming and truly passionate about healing and inspiring, guiding you through the work necessary to be your best self. The balance of both body work and emotional healing was the perfect combination of just what I needed.

I was indulged in sauna treatments, massages and cranio-sacral work, and yoga, which were all amazing and helped relax my sore and tired body. The meditation sessions, amazing selection of books and DVDs, Journey work, conversations over cups of tea, and walks and drives around the area were all so fantastic and helped me switch off from the outside world and give myself a space to look at myself within, which is where the real miracles came for me at Shunyata.

Paru gently guided me through the whole week, tailoring the pace and sessions to what I needed at that time. This one-on-one personalised treatment was exactly what my heart and body needed and like nothing I'd experienced at more expensive health spas elsewhere. The personalised service was especially evident when I was sent home with printouts, exercises, tips, and information to follow up on at home, which showed me that I wasn't just another number, and each visitor is treated with interest and care.

I came away from this retreat feeling understood, healed, empowered and positive. My body (in particular my shoulders and back) and my heart have not felt this light and wonderful in over 10years! I will be forever grateful for an amazing 5 days that have set me up for the rest of my life, and will definitely be back!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
paru_12, Owner at Shunyata Health Retreat / Day Spa, responded to this review, 14 September 2013
Emily you are an amazing example of moving out of ego and truly giving life true passion and joy. You made the other client feel loved and safe. Keep living your gift which is amazing love of life and true inspiration and passion. I wish you well on your new adventure in Auckland and keep remembering "Is this really true" - I feel touched to have met you
Reviewed 4 September 2013

As this was my First retreat ever l was Initially very anxious and not knowing what to expect at Shunyata. What l experienced from this retreat was lots of love more than l have experienced in my life. Paru is a wonderful woman, who treated me with so much love, respect and acceptance. She shows so much dedication to her work and what she does for her clients she does it with love. l learnt so much about myself, clarity and so much peace is what l got out of this retreat. Thanx to Paru. I will be returning to Shunyata very soon.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Nonoe77
paru_12, Owner at Shunyata Health Retreat / Day Spa, responded to this review, 10 September 2013
Thank you so much for your kind words. I honour the courage it took to go where you went in such a short time - it is not easy to make such a quick shift when we get a wake up call but you
are a true inspiration and the love you see is inside of yourself.
Hope to see your beauty back soon
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 1 September 2013

I was looking for a retreat that would provide me with rest, rejuvenation and healing. I found all of these things at Shunyata. I came away feeling like I had found myself and my way again after having been through a tough time in my life. Paru has a gift for healing and is an inspiration. She made me feel at home and took care of me in a way that enabled me to relax. It was a safe place for me to let go of some emotions that I had not been able to release in the past. This has given me some freedom and peace within myself. With Paru's help, I was able to work out what I need to do to get more out of life and to fulfill my life purpose. Thanks Paru. You are amazing! xox

Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Carmel F
Timaru
Reviewed 4 August 2013

What an amazing place Shunyata is. If you are looking for a friendly, homely retreat with special attention....then this is the place for you. Paru is welcoming and awesome at her job. She superbly takes you through The Journey, massages, treatments, yoga, sauna.....and so much more. Paru is extremely knowledgeable and passionate about what she does. I learnt so much from her!
Shunyata is an awesome for some quality self improvement and some R and R. GREAT food too.
thanks Paru!!!!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Kate H
Kate you came at a truly busy time when I wasn't well myself and your kind words and
amazing willingness and courage to change your life truly touched me. I feel your life
is about to take an amazing turn - deeper, more fun like and joyous because you deserve.

Keep sharing that gorgeous kindness to the world
sydney
Reviewed 17 June 2013

This month I just returned from my second retreat at Shunyata. It was as magnificent as the first retreat. I had found what I learnt from the first retreat, benefit me still and culminated in my overall improved health and wellbeing. The accomodation is just too good to be true, and the views from the rooms, of snow-capped mountains - are something from a story book. The rooms are kept toasty warm through the winter days and nights, with a log fire each night (excellent for your evening meditation and dinner).
I did the liver de-tox and weigtloss retreats each time. It is a joy to have someone else cook and serve you for a whole week! The food is yummy and the owner is flexible and accomodates you tastes - all menus and activities are chosen by the guest.
I chose Shunyata from other retreats in Australia/Asia as the owner was quick to repsond to my emails and I felt that I could trust her - considering I was booking from Australia. Retreats in Australia are at least double the cost of Shunyata retreats (with airfare) - so I am more than happy to recommend people in Oz to travel to this NZ retreat as it is value for money and value for your health and wellbeing.
Each visit I was able to totally rest with 8-10 hour sleeps at night and afternoon naps. The environment and treatments encourage you to "let go" of stress/worry and live in the present time.
Both visits I was happy with my weight loss, I could have excercised more and lost more, however that was not my main aim, which was to relax and enjoy the top quality service.
The one-to-one service gives clients the choice of treatments and meals, while the owner is very astute to provide the guest with enough privacy at all times. This is a skill not all people have and what set this retreat apart from others is you are given time to yourself, for yourself - and the owner gently guides you through the daily routine.
I would like to return to Shunyata in a year or two, and hope that many other people take this opportunity to benefit from the resort and stunning surrounding Diamond Harbour.

Room Tip: Ask for the corner room overlooking the harbour
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
paru_12, Owner at Shunyata Health Retreat / Day Spa, responded to this review, 25 June 2013
Rachel wanted different things this time around - so we accommodated her accordingly.
It was lovely to combine, health, healing and rest for you this time and would always
love you back as you truly receive and use Shunyata in the most healthy way,
Love to you
Also consider these accommodations in or near Christchurch
Heritage Christchurch
#26 of 132 in Christchurch
Annandale
Annandale
#8 of 24 in Akaroa

Been to Shunyata Health Retreat / Day Spa? Share your experiences!