“Great Experience”
Review of The Brewers Arms

The Brewers Arms
Ranked #485 of 1,074 Restaurants in Christchurch
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Brewers Arms in Merivale is a great tavern that specialises in a huge selection of quality food and drinks. It has the feel of a traditional English-style pub where you meet locals or friends for a chat, a drink and a meal and it's close to the city and to the hotels and motels on Papanui Road. The Brewers Arms is a friendly and unpretenious tavern that's perfect whether you're from out of town or a local catching up with friends. Without any obnoxious loud music or gaming machines, the ambience is inviting and there are plently of plasma screens featuring live sport. The menu goes well beyond ordinary pub fare, with an excellent of high-quality food and drinks. From light meals and snacks through to delicious stone-grill dining (including exotic fare such as kangaroo, as well as popular favourites such as Surf & Turf), there's something to suit every appetite. There are even children's meals for the little one.
Reviewed 3 July 2014

We had a lovely dinner and the atmosphere was also great. The Staff were very helpful and friendly. It is a great place if you want a quick meal or just to sit and talk.

Reviewed 6 June 2014

Though it was back in the winter that a couple friends and I from the US ate there, I have to say it was a very enjoyable experience for us. I was the only one in our party that tried the wild meat cooked on the stones, but I certainly couldn't pass up the unique experience of having venison, kangaroo, and ostrich brought to my table on the stones where they cooked while we ate and talked! My friends enjoyed their steaks and chicken. We also like the dark, heavy, Old English atmosphere! Our hotel manager recommended it strongly and we were so glad we took his advice.

Reviewed 17 May 2014

This pub has a great old style atmosphere, its cosy with the fire place lit & the old English décor. we enjoyed a few drinks & dinner. The stone grill was quite good. We both had a mixed grill; one with veggies that unfortunately were very overcooked and one with salad which was nice, big portions and very tasty. The sticky date pudding was nice for dessert.
It was very busy we were there early (about 5pm) and the place filled up very fast, mainly workmen at first then more trickled in for dinner. Good place for groups and couples probably wouldn't recommend for families.
Try the black beer it was great, very friendly service, they even called us a cab!

Reviewed 16 April 2014

Been a few times and feel that it has got better each time. About a year ago it was so-so but now it's much better. The food quality has improved and so has the service. I had an omelette this time and it was very nice. My husband had the stone grill and the meat was great.

Reviewed 10 April 2014

I've enjoyed meals here four times in the last six or so months, mainly their 'hot stone' type 'cook it yourself' meals, but also some of their regular meals too. I expect/hope I'll continue to visit into the future.

Prices are very fair, and portion sizes are huge. The food itself is acceptably average/ordinary and sometimes reaching up to 'good'; and happily never bad. Service is reasonably quick, but you're not rushed to eat your meal.

Staff are friendly and helpful. The dining/drinking room is spacious and not too crowded.

It isn't the sort of place you'd drive out of your way to visit, but if you're in the general area, it is a good place to go.

Suggestion - reserve a table before you go there.