“Delicious food”

Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Qatar
“Delicious food”
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Went hear with a group of 7 on a week night. This place does not really have restaurant ambience - it also has a small bar on site - but the food is well worth the visit.
I had fish curry and thoroughly enjoyed it. Three of the diners had the pork which they said was nice - but my husband said he has had better. One diner had tofu with black bean sauce and loved it which he raced about. I can't recall what the others had. Mains between about $18 and 30.

• Visited August 2014

Nelson, New Zealand
“Kitchen was "having a bad day!!"”
Reviewed 3 June 2014

One to avoid. Called in for lunch around noon,when it was still quiet. Our order was taken promptly and then there was a very long wait for food to arrive. I had ordered fish and chips which was stone cold when it arrived and I had to send it back. My wife subsequently noted that there seemed to be no organisation in the kitchen with dishes for the same table coming to the pass at vastly different time allowing then to get cold. One bowl of rice sat for at least 15 mins. On leaving I was told that the kitchen was having a bad day!! I could not agree more.

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank madogvin
Christchurch, New Zealand
“Would like to give it another go”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I came here with friends for a catch up dinner and ordered a pork dish with bok choy. The flavours were amazing but there wasn't enough sauce for the pork on the plate so it wasn't as tasty as it could have been. The food was cooked great though. Would like to give the place another try in a wee while.

Auckland, New Zealand
“Perhaps we struck an "off night”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Phoned and booked (as recommended in their advertising) and it seemed they really were very busy but could fit us in - but when we arrived the place was virtually empty, and they made it clear were not expecting us (so a break down in their system somewhere along the line)
After the three of us were seated another table of four was seated right alongside us when there were plenty of other options in the place and not so comfortable for patrons in a quiet restaurant (so not good front of house technique)
Unfortunately the food did not live up to the reviews either - cabbage and pork rolls made no mention on the menu chili which was liberally in the mix, the caesar salad was very ordinary and crotons are not whatever the kitchen produced in this instance, and our guest commented that the lamb looked like something her granny would present
Sorry, but it was not a good evening meal and service needs some upskilling as well

1 Thank ColinAndChristina
Christchurch, New Zealand
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“So disappointing, never will return”
Reviewed 28 April 2014

If you are considering eating here, don’t waste your time even checking out the menu and go somewhere else. I am so disappointed with my lunch time experience at St Asaph Kitchen, that I’ve been motivated to take the time to write this review. I can’t even say ‘dining experience’ as we waited so long for our food that in the end we had to take it away! We were waiting at our table for 15 minutes before a drinks order was even taken, and the excuse from the waitress after waiting more than 40 minutes for our food was ‘I’m sorry, we are really busy’ – well I’m sorry but that doesn’t sit with me. Surely over a lunch hour one could expect that a restaurant serving lunch could be busy, and that customers are often pressed for time taking their lunch breaks and the like. If you can’t serve people in a timely manner then you shouldn’t have tables to seat that number. So, after we’d been there an hour I went to the bar to ask about our food as I’d noticed other tables eating that had arrived after us. We requested the food to takeaway as some of our party had to get to the airport. I now wish we’d not bothered and simply got up and left as the food was close to appalling. I had the club sandwich and at $18.50 (or $21.50 with fries) you would expect something pretty darn delicious, especially if you’ve waited over an hour for it. Well it was verging on inedible – dry toast (burnt in places) with chicken so dry it was like chewing a gumboot, bacon frazzled to a within an inch of its life, a couple of measly bits of avocado, tomato that was tasteless and orange (not red and ripe) and some limp lettuce leaves. Oh yeah, there may have been a squirt of mayonnaise in there, but the overall sandwich was so dry it was like trying to swallow sand so it’s hard to tell. My husband had the pork bun which admittedly was tasty, but about the size of my hand, not his hand mind you, and cost $12.50 without the fries. I have no idea what the rest of our dining mates thought of their meal as they were eating it in the car on their way to the airport!

You’d think that an establishment open 7 days a week from 7am would be pretty slick. However upon reading other reviews on the internet I can see that we are not alone in waiting ridiculously long and feeling ripped off over the quality of the food. I will not be returning to eat here and word of mouth is a powerful tool in a small place like Christchurch, so sort it out St Asaph Kitchen!

1 Thank fittyk