“An interesting trip.”

US$323.50*
Love in the Air
Ranked #22 of 99 Tours in Christchurch
More attraction details
Owner description: Experience the very best views New Zealand has to offer on a heli adventure flight. See the sights of Christchurch city or choose one of our exciting packages from whale watching, jetboating,vineyards or the majestic scenery of Akaroa – just 15 minutes away!
Reviewed 6 January 2014

This was my first experience in a helicopter and it was quite enjoyable. We flew over the gardens and the center of Christchurch, then south over Lyttelton and out east over the water and then back over Christchurch again. The pilot pointed out the places of interest and it was interesting seeing quite a few places that I'd visited in previous days at ground level.
It was quite interesting (in a rather somber way) to see the effects of the earth quake as there's a lot of flat areas or rubble still throughout the city. It was really quite sad.
Otherwise the flight was smooth and everything ran to schedule.
I'd travel with them again.

Alison F, Director of Sales at Garden City Helicopters, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2014

Thanks for your positive comments. yes it is sobering flying over the earthquake zone of the city but extremely interesting as the city changes with all the rebuild going on. hope you can come back in a while and fly with us again to witness the changes.

Reviewed 23 December 2013

I'd be very cautious in booking a tour with this company. I found them to be disorganized and unprofessional. When I originally called to make my booking about a week in advance I was told I could join another tour group heading to French Farm winery because I would be traveling solo. I was quoted the $449 price as listed on the website. When the day came I was contacted by Mark of Garden City Helicopter and told that due to weather I'd need to reschedule for the next day. I said that was fine and we agreed on the same time the next day. I assumed the same group I was originally traveling with had also rescheduled for that day and was told nothing different. When I arrived I filled out the passenger form and presented my credit card. When I looked at the slip to sign it was $200 more than I had been quoted. They woman at the desk claimed that Mark told me this the day before and it was because I'd be traveling alone and thus paying for their charter rate. I was very clear that I had NOT been told that information and was quite upset. She went into the back and returned several minutes later. She stated there was some "confusion" and no one was really clear on what happened. They were willing to refund me $100 dollars cash. Because I was flying solo and not with a group they couldn't charge me just the $449 rate. I was frustrated and after paying nearly $40 in taxi fare just to get to Garden City Helicopters I didn't want to cancel the ride entirely. I'd passed up other opportunities because I planned on this trip. So I decided to pay the additional $100 for the ride. The ride itself was wonderful and the pilot, Mark, was very competent and experienced. The winery, French Farm, was absolutely lovely and the service there was fantastic. I was turned off by the fact that my pilot found a couple at the winery who was interested in going out for a ride while I was having lunch. I'm sure he didn't take them up for free, so in addition to me paying more, he was also able to get another couple to pay for a ride once he got to French Farm. Overall, I'd stay to be very careful in booking with Garden City. I'd like to believe they made an honest mistake in thinking they had explained things to me, but the more I think about the whole experience and the fact that they were only willing to refund me $100 dollars while still charging another couple for a last-minute ride makes me think they don't have the most honest business practices. If you can, go with another company. Or ensure you get everything from Garden City in writing. I wouldn't take their world for anything they say over the phone.

4  Thank Erin G

I’m sorry to hear that your flight did not meet your expectations. Our company takes exception to the comment that we were dishonest and unprofessional. Our business practices are externally audited under NZ Standard ISO9001:2008 and we are highly regarded in the aviation industry.

We have a large number of key Government agency contracts, and very many satisfied customers.
This is the first complaint received about our services in the last 12 years, and we have operated for more than 30 years.
We have the highest safety rating in NZ (Platinum record issued by the NZ Aviation Industry Association) and both a low risk profile and high quality index rating issued by the NZ Civil Aviation Authority.
The group you were supposed to be travelling with were a local business group and opted to not have another person on their charter, as they had private matters to discuss.
They too, rescheduled due to the weather, which is the pilot’s call for safety reasons and comfort.

All marketing material states our flights are for a minimum of 2 people which is why you were charged the charter price. Our flight co-ordinator believes she had made you aware of this prior to the flight, however due to the confusion; the offer was then made to refund the $100. The Reception staff advised that you were very happy with this arrangement at the time.

It is not unusual for Winery staff to find guests who like to take advantage of the helicopter being onsite to be able to do a short scenic flight, while the transferred guests partake in their lunch.
It is normal industry practice, you weren’t paying for the helicopter when it was waiting for you, nor was it held for your exclusive use.
Regards.

Reviewed 23 August 2013

What fantastic views of Christchurch and area's. Loved every minute of it, we flew up to Mt. Hutt and enjoyed the experience. So much to see and such an enjoyable way to see it all.
Thanks Garden City for the experience

Reviewed 21 July 2013

Did a chopper tour over the city, hills, port and entrances to Lyttelton harbour. Awesome views, with the ability to get very close to the subject matter.

Reviewed 4 June 2013

I was lucky enough to experience a Trial Flight with Garden City Helicopters. As soon as I walked in the door I was warmly welcomed by the crew and briefed on the flight. Full of nerves and a constant smile on my face we took off for a trip of a lifetime. If the excitement of being my first time in a helicopter wasn't enough I even got to take control (under expert supervision of course) and got a true feeling of the skill involved in handling such a powerful machine. This was such an amazing thrill and one that I wont forget!