“Birds Eye View of Christchurch well worth it”

Garden City Helicopters
Book In Advance
More Info
US$147.68*
and up
Christchurch Helicopter Tour
Ranked #17 of 92 Tours in Christchurch
More attraction details
Owner description: Experience the very best views New Zealand has to offer on a heli adventure flight. See the sights of Christchurch city or choose one of our exciting packages from whale watching, jetboating,vineyards or the majestic scenery of Akaroa – just 15 minutes away!
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Birds Eye View of Christchurch well worth it”
Reviewed 2 March 2014

We had a great 30 minute flight. Found it appropriately priced for the excursion. As we are Christchurch locals it was possibly more fascinating for us than visitors to the city. Christchurch has to be interesting to everyone at the moment, and too look down on the devastation it really puts into perspective how lucky we are to be walking around. We then flew over Lyttelton and saw the cruise liners are back in port :) and over the Sumner hills which is where we live. Our pilot gave us a birds eye view of our own home. Fantastic.
Highly recommend for any Christchurch people.

Visited February 2014

• Chinese (Traditional) first
3 attraction reviews
“CBD & extended flight around Banks Peninsula”
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Russell was our pilot & gave an excellent commentary on the sights we saw ie; Christchurch hospital, University, Ellerslie Flower Show, WW2 sites & historic sites on Banks Peninsula, many local people like myself had never heard of. My daughter is a professional photographer so the front door was removed & she was securely harnessed in for the ride of her life. The chopper was the best way to see the cliffs & bays, we travelled beside them, looking directly at them & we circled surfers in one bay, circled twice around Akaroa so my daughter got "the shots" she wanted-Russell was very obliging & told us some very interesting history of the area. We went around the CBD a few times, before & after seeing the Peninsula, then back to base. My friends & I enjoyed this trip immensely & will be going up again in the near future. The rates are reasonable for the experience of a lifetime, the immense enjoyment. It was my 2 friends 1st chopper ride & they both felt very secure & relaxed.

Visited March 2014
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Helicopter flight - lesson”
Reviewed 11 January 2014

I had a fantastic time on my Heli flight/lesson, instructor Flint was excellent and so calm and helpful!! Recommend!!!

Visited January 2014
1 Thank HayleyMurdoch
Sydney, Australia
76 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 129 helpful votes
“An interesting trip.”
Reviewed 6 January 2014

This was my first experience in a helicopter and it was quite enjoyable. We flew over the gardens and the center of Christchurch, then south over Lyttelton and out east over the water and then back over Christchurch again. The pilot pointed out the places of interest and it was interesting seeing quite a few places that I'd visited in previous days at ground level.
It was quite interesting (in a rather somber way) to see the effects of the earth quake as there's a lot of flat areas or rubble still throughout the city. It was really quite sad.
Otherwise the flight was smooth and everything ran to schedule.
I'd travel with them again.

Visited December 2013
Alison F, Director of Sales at Garden City Helicopters, responded to this review, 7 January 2014
Thanks for your positive comments. yes it is sobering flying over the earthquake zone of the city but extremely interesting as the city changes with all the rebuild going on. hope you can come back in a while and fly with us again to witness the changes.
New York City, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Be cautious in booking a tour with this company”
Reviewed 23 December 2013

I'd be very cautious in booking a tour with this company. I found them to be disorganized and unprofessional. When I originally called to make my booking about a week in advance I was told I could join another tour group heading to French Farm winery because I would be traveling solo. I was quoted the $449 price as listed on the website. When the day came I was contacted by Mark of Garden City Helicopter and told that due to weather I'd need to reschedule for the next day. I said that was fine and we agreed on the same time the next day. I assumed the same group I was originally traveling with had also rescheduled for that day and was told nothing different. When I arrived I filled out the passenger form and presented my credit card. When I looked at the slip to sign it was $200 more than I had been quoted. They woman at the desk claimed that Mark told me this the day before and it was because I'd be traveling alone and thus paying for their charter rate. I was very clear that I had NOT been told that information and was quite upset. She went into the back and returned several minutes later. She stated there was some "confusion" and no one was really clear on what happened. They were willing to refund me $100 dollars cash. Because I was flying solo and not with a group they couldn't charge me just the $449 rate. I was frustrated and after paying nearly $40 in taxi fare just to get to Garden City Helicopters I didn't want to cancel the ride entirely. I'd passed up other opportunities because I planned on this trip. So I decided to pay the additional $100 for the ride. The ride itself was wonderful and the pilot, Mark, was very competent and experienced. The winery, French Farm, was absolutely lovely and the service there was fantastic. I was turned off by the fact that my pilot found a couple at the winery who was interested in going out for a ride while I was having lunch. I'm sure he didn't take them up for free, so in addition to me paying more, he was also able to get another couple to pay for a ride once he got to French Farm. Overall, I'd stay to be very careful in booking with Garden City. I'd like to believe they made an honest mistake in thinking they had explained things to me, but the more I think about the whole experience and the fact that they were only willing to refund me $100 dollars while still charging another couple for a last-minute ride makes me think they don't have the most honest business practices. If you can, go with another company. Or ensure you get everything from Garden City in writing. I wouldn't take their world for anything they say over the phone.

Visited December 2013
4 Thank Erin G
I’m sorry to hear that your flight did not meet your expectations. Our company takes exception to the comment that we were dishonest and unprofessional. Our business practices are externally audited under NZ Standard ISO9001:2008 and we are highly regarded in the aviation industry.

We have a large number of key Government agency contracts, and very many satisfied customers.
This is the first complaint received about our services in the last 12 years, and we have operated for more than 30 years.
We have the highest safety rating in NZ (Platinum record issued by the NZ Aviation Industry Association) and both a low risk profile and high quality index rating issued by the NZ Civil Aviation Authority.
The group you were supposed to be travelling with were a local business group and opted to not have another person on their charter, as they had private matters to discuss.
They too, rescheduled due to the weather, which is the pilot’s call for safety reasons and comfort.

All marketing material states our flights are for a minimum of 2 people which is why you were charged the charter price. Our flight co-ordinator believes she had made you aware of this prior to the flight, however due to the confusion; the offer was then made to refund the $100. The Reception staff advised that you were very happy with this arrangement at the time.

It is not unusual for Winery staff to find guests who like to take advantage of the helicopter being onsite to be able to do a short scenic flight, while the transferred guests partake in their lunch.
It is normal industry practice, you weren’t paying for the helicopter when it was waiting for you, nor was it held for your exclusive use.
Regards.