“Excellent value and good food”
Review of Joyful Restaurant

Joyful Restaurant
Ranked #331 of 992 Restaurants in Christchurch
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent value and good food”
Reviewed 5 February 2014 via mobile

I wasn't sure about the restaurant when I first spotted it. It was packed including many people of East Asian background. But the menu reminded me of bad Chinese takeaways with its chow meins and sweet and sours. But the food was great: we had an excellent skin roasted chicken, seafood and tofu hotpot (which had scallops, prawns, mussels, squid and fish in it), and stir fried mushroom with veg. Whilst the food wasn't highly spiced it was damn tasty and the portions for 'small' plates were huge. Really pleased. If you are in a motel on Riccarton Road this is a good choice.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Melbourne
“Very good Chinese that was mobbed on a Wednesday night”
Reviewed 14 January 2014

Enjoyed a good Chinese meal here mid week. The restaurant was really busy. We had wontons, satay sticks and spring rolls for entree. All were good. My in-laws had the chicken and corn soup which they enjoyed. Lemon chicken was good, chicken and cashew was fine but could have done with more sauce, Kung po beef was also fine but lacked sauce and had a lot of veg. Overall, the food was good.

• Visited January 2014
Christchurch, New Zealand
“Dining out”
Reviewed 27 December 2013

We went there for dinner Thursday with family.Had a seat down at table and waited for 15 minutes or more before we got menus.Our table had no water which was not the case with other diners as they all had a jug of water.Pork dumplings were good so was the steamed blue cod.veg chow mien,chicken soup,ginger chicken were average.the ginger chicken was very over powering and recommend to use fresh ginger to bare minimal.chow mein gravy style was bland and not upto the mark.I have been to joyful earlier when they were located close to south city mall and thoroughly enjoyed the food there.
The food needs to match up the brand they are trying to portray as it has a good central location but service needs to be spruced up to make dining experience more enjoyable for customers.As they say Customer is always right...........

• Visited December 2013
Queenstown, New Zealand
“Best Chinese in Christchurch”
Reviewed 9 December 2013

I have been visiting this restaurant for over 10 years, I first stumbled across it when I was walking down Colombo Street and noticed that there were a lot of young Asian people enjoying themselves so I went in and tried it for myself and must say I have never regretted the day.
My favorite dishes are fried dumplings for entree, lemon chicken, crispy skin pork and BBQ duck.
I no longer live in Chch but whenever I visit I always go to Joyful sometimes more that once, I thoroughly recommend it.

• Visited December 2013
Los Angeles
“Not too impressed”
Reviewed 4 December 2013

I really enjoyed the pot stickers (maybe they're also called dumplings) however, the chicken chow mein was like ramen noodles with a gelatinous, gooey, bland sauce and not too much chicken. All I can say for the stir fried vegetables was they were again bland.

Visited December 2013