“Hostel off the Park”

Ranked #39 of 144 Hotels in Christchurch
Sydney
“Hostel off the Park”
Reviewed 8 May 2008

We booked into the Hotel off the Square for a bit of luxury after travelling for a few weeks and staying in hostels and cheap motels.
It was a huge disappointment. Check in was fine, unfortunately our room was a complete let down. Paint on the feature wall was chipped in a number of places, the room's layout was strange, it was a bit dark and dingy and the quilt sported a large, and somewhat unfortunate white stain. The heater in the bathroom didn't work and there was a sticky substance all over the desk. The remote control was held together with sticky tape and the appliances ran off a messy tangle of cords and powerboards.

The room was bland and incredibly noisy thanks to an air vent outside the window which switched on and off , rattling and vibrating, throughout our stay. This combined with the construction work taking place over the road made for a fitful night's sleep.

We WANTED to like this hotel....we tried to like this hotel...but when it comes down to it....We've stayed in hotels for half the price that leave this place for dead.

Stayed May 2008
6 Thank Thelma77

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Beijing, China
Reviewed 5 May 2008

A mate of mine suggested I stay at off the square, so, despite a few not so good experiences listed on this site, I figured I'd give it a shot. I'm glad I took her advice.

I arrived in a taxi from the airport and was greeted by a friendly blond guy on reception. After a quick checkin I wandered up to my room. Right away I was impressed with the place. Not only was it warm inside after coming in from the cold, but there was so much art all over the place that I almost felt like I was in a gallery. To get to my room I passed by a dinky little room with what I later found out was free internet, a few chairs with newspapers and books and stuff, and a whole lot more art. My room wasn't huge, but I wasn't planning a party, so I wasn't bothered. Bathroom was ace, bed was nottoohard nottoosoft (a pleasure after all the rock hard mattresses where I'm living in China!), there was music playing, and the tram rolled by outside my window - what a novelty!

I got some great advice on local restaurants from the guy who checked me in, had a bit of a walk around, a bite to eat, and went back to wallow in my jetlag! Some truck cleaning the street woke me up through the night, and a car with a waytooloud exhaust made me cringe - but hey, in a hotel half a block from the centre of town, I guess you have to expect a little street noise. Again, I wasn't bothered.

I stayed another two nights, with everything carrying on as it started. The Friday night was a bit noisier, but from the people I spoke to on the shuttle the next day, this is a common problem in a few hotels. It certainly didn't ruin the experience, and even if it did, something outside of the hotel shouldn't really affect the way I felt about the hotel itself. Gosh, how insightful!

All in all, I loved the place, and if I didn't meet a nice local on my travels that offered me a bed in his flat, I'd be there again now. The kiwis are great - I think this hotel does them proud.

• Liked — Didn't feel like a big hotel - it had personality.
  • Disliked — I wanted one of the rooms with a bath! Though, I guess I should have asked for one
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled solo
4 Thank chinajetset
Wangaratta, Australia
Reviewed 26 April 2008

I had booked a discounted standard room at this hotel over the net so I wasn't expecting great views or marble waterfalls in the bathroom, but was pleasantly surprised with the place nonetheless.

The reception guy was very friendly and made me feel welcome.

The room was on the small side but I found everything to be clean and tidy, and the balcony was a bonus for us smokers.

The room was right over the tramway but the noise was minimal, there was however construction works at the other end of the mall, and they got started at about 6.30 am, so it was a bit noisy but OK. The bed itself was top notch and very comfortable.

They provided free internet both for laptop owners within their room and they also had a desktop setup in a public room which also had a large TV and tea/coffee facilities. Free apples as well!

Only one complaint was the bathroom - I noticed the hot and cold indicators on the shower tap were back to front (or to put it better - the plumbing was back to front), hence a long delay waiting for hot water until I had worked it out. Not only that but to get the right temperature involved infinitesimal movements, and the only decent pressure was when the showerhead was set to "jet" resulting in 3 streams of water blasting you in the face. The lighting was poor and hard to see when using the mirror.

With that aside, I found the place lived up to it's claims and would definitely recommend it to anyone.

• Liked — Comfortable and cosy.
  • Disliked — Bathroom not very easy to use.
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled solo
2 Thank Gregga
timd115, Manager at Hotel 115 Christchurch, responded to this review, 28 April 2008
Hello.

Thank you for the positive review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay at Hotel Off the Square. We apologize for the issues you had with the hot water, it is an issue we had rectified in the past. We will look into again immediately.
We are glad that the hotel lived up to your expectations and we look forward to seeing you here again.

Kind Regards

Tim
Auckland
Reviewed 10 April 2008

Great hotel, great location, great staff.
I've stayed at the hotel on several occasions.
The hotels Loft apartments (if available) are highly recommended.

• Liked — Great service and free internet.
  • Disliked — Often booked out in busy periods
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled on business
2 Thank hotelier021
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 31 March 2008

My husband and I stayed here for two nights in March 2008. The location of the hotel is perfect as it is only a few minutes walk to the centre of town. The hotel is very stylish and has nice ambience, however there were some problems with our room:
1. The bathroom was dirty - we found other people's curly hairs in the bath and the shower screen still had soap scum on it
2. Problems with SKY tv - when we first arrived we could only watch children's programs as the parental lock was on. The concierge explained that this was a 'glitch that happened sometimes' and that we would just have to put up with it until it went away. It did go away, but then the whole hotel experienced a signal problem which caused severe interference on all channels making the tv unwatchable.
3. There was an extremely noisy exhaust fan directly outside our window that operated from about 8am to 9pm. The concierge said that the shop below installed this fan without the hotel's permission and that there was nothing that could be done about it. My advice - don't stay in room # 4!
4. The coffee cups in our room were dirty - they had milk/tea and lipstick marks on them.

These problems are things that I don't think are acceptable when paying $155 per night for a room.

Other than that, the hotel is okay. It has a really cool internet lounge which is free to use for guests, but there is only one computer so it can be hard to use at times (especially in the evening). The funky artworks around the hotel are a great conversation point! The staff were very friendy and helped us find food and places of interest around town. We highly recommend The Bicycle Thief Italian restaurant (5 min walk) which was recommended by Glen. The pizzas there are delicious.

• Liked — Location and decor
  • Disliked — Cleanliness, noise
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Sally_H4
Wellington
Reviewed 24 March 2008

Stayed here for 3 nights over easter and upgraded to a superior room when booking. Apart from innovative curtains and a tan feature wall the room was nothing exceptional and compared to most average hotels rooms I've stayed in worldwide. Lighting in both bathroom and room atrocious for trying to put makeup on and no consideration in the fitout for power points hence a trail of power cords and multi boxes. The biggest problem was the noise. It took until the morning I checked out to figure out I hadn't been listening to a dryer going round and round 24 hours a day but in fact there was a gigantic extractor fan right outside the window. Add to that the long distance buses that loaded and unloaded outside said window from the early hours of the morning, even the highest decibel rating ear plugs money can buy couldn't block out all the noise.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Noise
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled solo
3 Thank stylishtraveller45
Adelaide
Reviewed 7 December 2007

Stayed here twice, two nights on the first occassion and one night about 10 days later. On the first occassion booked through the internet, got a good price ($110 per night) and a small but comfy room, with nice bathroom. On the second occasion, booked (when checking out the first time) - much more expensive ($160 per night) and ended up with a decidedly inferior room with sparten bathroom - what gives? My advice: ask to view the room, ask to see a range of available rooms (clearly price is not indicative of quality). Great location, but noisy - lots of construction noise. Staff friendly, but on both occasions they seemed to have lost our booking, when I phoned to confirm the accomodation, they claimed to have no record the first time and had booked us in for the wrong night the second time - get your act together guys! Based on the first stay I'd stay here again (well we did), but the second stay rather spoilt our impression.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Inconsistent standards
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple