“OK for a quick stop”
Review of The Ashley Hotel

The Ashley Hotel
Ranked #120 of 146 Hotels in Christchurch
Reviewed 13 March 2013

One night here and I was impressed by the size of room which I think in hindsight was an upgrade on what I had booked. It had a separate kitchen/lounge, modern decor and felt like a good quality motel. I'd been struggling to find somewhere to stay in Christchurch so pleased I came across this place. Close to Hagley Park.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 10 March 2013

While visiting my sister and her family in NZ, and having our parents visiting from SA too, my dad and I went on a father-and-son tour of the South Island and spent 2 different nights at the Ashley Hotel in Christchurch. This was a little gem of a hotel and absolutely LOVED the decor and look of the place. We weren't there very long for each stay, as it was just a sleep over at the beginning and end of the tour, but the 2 different rooms we stayed in were both very comfortable, clean and tidy. The staff were very helpful in suggesting places to eat on both occassions and in assisting us with directions. Obviously we didn't have enough time to explore the surrounding areas, so can't say whether or not it is centrally located for shops, etc. We did find a few restaurants and bars closeby, so there was a varied choice in places to go out for a meal. If I ever found myself in Christchurch again, then I'd definitely make reservations at this pleasant little gem of a hotel.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 February 2013

This hotel has the feeling of being prefabricated. It's all white décor shows every mark including the mould round the shower base and the stained washbasin. Every room has a microwave cutlery and crockery. It is in a very quiet location 15 min by taxi from the airport. Rooms are a bit on the small side and have showers, not baths. We had no porterage facilities. Reception messed up our taxi transfer to the airport. I did check the details with them on arrival. Reception didn't open until 07.00. Our plane left at 08.05 and we got there 13 min before check in closed. Had we missed that plane we would have lost our connections to U.K. Wouldn't want to stay there for very long. Out of hotel and to main road, turn left. Indian, Chinese restaurants and Irish Pub a few blocks down. I tried the Indian and it was O.K. but not as good as those experienced earlier in our tour. Christchurch is still very sad after the earthquake. I had thought of staying on for a couple of days at the end of the tour. Glad I didn't.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 February 2013 via mobile

My partner and I pre booked two nights in a king studio at a sale rate of $139per night. On the website the rooms all look clean and modern which they are but they fail to show the bathroom which is what lets them down. The bathrooms are dated our shower had small areas of mold and the drain was blocked which made the bottom of the shower full with water. The hotel provided cups, plates and cutlery etc which was good however I thought it strange that there was only one of everything except the cups. When we checked in there was a box to check if you wished to revive a paper unfortunately we never received our morning paper. The tv provided has freeview and some sky channels I.e. sky sports, movies and discovery unfortunately we couldn't pick up all channels and had bad reception on the ones we could. On a positive note the beds were comfortable rooms quiet and clean and 6 hours free wifi provided. For the price we paid it was a reasonable room.

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed 9 January 2013

All in all we had a pleasant stay at the Ashley. We stayed in room on the second floor which had a double and single bed. Clean and plain decor which was fine. Lots of windows which meant the room was bright and airy.....nice! We felt that the room lacked storage....no shelving/drawer facilities for clothes, just an open wardrobe. Bathroom was dated....a typical old style Kiwi bathroom with a new shower door rather than a curtain! But saying that it was clean and the water pressure for the shower was fantastic!!!!! We stayed in the hotel 5 nights and were completely satisfied with our choice of motel. It is located just off Riccarton Road which is a main street in Christchurch linking you to many different routes so you find many different motels along the road. As we were travelling with a 2 year old we took day trips around Canterbury.....driving to Akaroa approx 2hours.....not very far but driving on windings roads slows you down. a beautiful quaint place, Hanmer Springs.....2 1/2 hours.....for me over rated and the springs themselves were very busy when we went and felt too crowded...food onsite not brilliant either which was surprising as most eateries in NZ are amazing...the same day we carried on up to Kaikoura.....long but beautiful drive and a very pebbly beach!!!!! Mount Cook 4 hours.......stopping at Lake Tekapo and Lake Pukaki (the better of the two if you ask us!!!!) On every drive we tried to keep an eye out for places where our daughter could stretch her legs and on the way to Mount Cook there was little village called Geraldine....so nice.....would recommend having a break here and a little saunter around the town....lovely! MMMMMmmmmmm back to the hotel and location!!!! The hotel was 5/10 minute walk to Hagley Park and there is a fantastic kids play area with shallow swimming pool open to the public....a very nice relaxing place. Chistchurch city....not much happening....unfortunately....felt cold and drab. We went to Re:Start Mall....basically an area with shops trading out of shipping containers....sounds dreadful but its a pretty cool place....definately worth a look. Just up the road from the motel was a huge shopping centre (Westfield Mall) with a pak n save (supermarket) so again a very very convenient location for staying around Christchurch or taking a trip further afield.
Other gripes I had but things that didn't really bother me was the lack of hooks (silly I know) on doors for hanging towels etc, no bin in the main area so had to keep moving the bin from the bathroom and the rail track just behind the hotel....a little noisy at times. Oh yes and the wifi....had to keep getting a password and login for only a couple of hours at a time.....which was a pain in the ............I will end there!!!!!!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 January 2013

Stayed whilst attending the races. Location OK, close to nice wee Cafe (Ground Floor Cafe) and a few Restaurants. Rooms have been refurbished recently, a little clinical, but fairly well done. Bathroom had not been touched, so quite dated although it did have good storage for toiletries (not to be confused with shelf space).
Cold Reception upon arrival, definitely felt like an inconvenience. Service did not improve with a phone call to Reception which went unanswered and a snappy response to queries regarding in-room Internet when they eventually did answer the phone.
Housekeeping staff very nice, personable and friendly; highlight of the stay.
All in all not a bad Hotel, could just use a tweak here and there. Would stay again.

Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 December 2012

This place is close to lots of pubs, restaurants, public transport, has a big Westfield shopping centre just down the road and only a 15 min walk to Christchurch CBD. The staff were friendly and efficient and the room was clean and comfortable.
Most of the motels we stayed at in NZ had the same type of floor to ceiling full glass frontage and the Ashley was the same. I can understand this being a good thing if there is a great scenic view to be had from your front window, but when you only look out to an asphalt car park or other motel rooms the lack of privacy feels a bit strange.

Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo