“A magical experience”

Tequila Mockingbird
Ranked #59 of 966 Restaurants in Christchurch
Cuisines: Spanish, South American
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Christchurch, New Zealand
“A magical experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

Thank you to Norman and the team for a fabulous afternoon. Best tapas I've ever tasted. We were a huge work party and you managed us so well. The food was outstanding and the Sangria took me back to my earlier years of traveling Europe. Thank you once again.

Visited May 2014
Norman E, General Manager at Tequila Mockingbird, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
Dear Vwbaby2014
I was delighted to receive this review from you. It was a pleasure to be able to look after you all, my team and I really enjoyed the afternoon also. I have passed your compliments onto Mark who was up early that morning preparing the jugs of Sangria which you make special mention of.

Thank you again for this review and I hope we can make this a regular event!!

• Korean first
“OUTSTANDING”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

Finally a tapas experience that meets authentic style with a contemporary twist in a feel-good, cosy and fun environment. As a traveller and passing through Chirstchurch City, my partner and I stroke lucky with this place. We had asked a local for somewhere that offered great food near by and they directed us to Victoria street where Tequila Mockingbird was located. We were greeted on arrival with a warm smile and the atmosphere was buzzing. We were offered a table in the back room that was inviting, relaxing and majestic.

We asked for a recommendation, to which the waiter suggested The Comilona menu. This was a combination of 5 courses that included a dessert for a mere $50!

The variety and flavours of the food were superb, service spot on and the value was incomparable.

It's great to find gems like this on our travels and get an essence for what the local food trends are in different countries. For us, this took us back to South America, but replicated the feel of a modern, growing new City.

We shall be back.

• Visited May 2014
Dear Luke D,
I was delighted to read your complementary review. How refreshing it is to see you describe exactly what we are trying to create in terms of food philosophy and service style and atmosphere.
It was great to see that you opted for our Comilona menu, we truly feel this is the way you need to dine if you are wanting to a truly representative experience.
Luke D, thank you again for this great review and we hope to see you and your guests back at Tequila Mockingbird should the opportunity arise.

Leicester, United Kingdom
“Fabulous Meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014 via mobile

You cannot miss this restaurant if visiting Christchurch. My husband and I ate here for my 50th birthday and everything was perfect. The table was where we requested and the tapas was out of this world. I can definitely say we will be recommending it

Visited May 2014
1 Thank Jane H
Dear Jane H,

Thank you choosing Tequila Mockingbird to host your 50th birthday. It was wonderful to see that both our kitchen and front of house teams ensured that your celebrations were enjoyable ones.
We always try our very best to accommodate our guests requests and I was glad to see we got it all right for you and your party.
Jane H, thank you again for your patronage and I hope we have the opportunity to host you again and your guests in the not too distant future.

Kind regards and a happy belated birthday

Christchurch, New Zealand
“Yum Yum Yum”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

We have dined here a few times but the last time we were let down by poor service although the food had been outstanding. Norman, the owner personally rang me to apologise and I was encouraged to try it again(3 months since last visit) so last weekend we took another couple who hadn't been here before and the 4 of us had the Comilona Menu(shared plates for the table) for $50 pp. The food was exceptional and varied from shellfish to fish to beef to pork plus more and ending on churros and chilli chocolate sauce. I recommend this option as you get to try several dishes. There was plenty of food and the service was great too...busy Saturday night and the place was humming. You usually need to book in advance as its very popular. Great for a bigger group too. We will be back.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank micsgirl
Norman E, General Manager at Tequila Mockingbird, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Dear Micsgirl,

I was delighted to see that we were able to remedy the service issues you encountered during your last visit and that your evening was enjoyed by all.

It was nice to see you back and I thank you again for your kind review.

Warm regards

Brussels, Belgium
“one of good choice on the place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

Christhurch sine the earthquake présents somme difficulties for the restaurants and co and when you see the center of the town you uderstand. This restaurant is one of good choice in the center. The principe is the "tapas" menu. The meals are really tastyand inventive so far from spain. The service is really kind and attentive. The ambiance is friedly and easy. It's not maybe the nicest design that i never see but it's good

• Visited March 2014
Dear HDL Bruxelles,

Thank you for choosing to dine at Tequila Mockingbird while you were visiting Christchurch. It was nice to read that you enjoyed our sharing plates menu style.

We thank you for taking the time to post a review for us and I hope you have enjoyed the rest of your New Zealand travels. The team of Tequila Mockingbird and I wish you a safe trip home.

Norman Engel