“Really nice spot for a more sophisticated dining experience”
Review of Harlequin Public House - CLOSED

Harlequin Public House
Price range: US$20 - US$28
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We met friends for lunch, having had a good experience on a previous trip for dinner. As on the previous occasion, the staff were great - welcoming, sincere and knowledgeable. The premises are great, decor is interesting and quirky, fabulous pub, and the whole place is spotlessly clean. BUT the prices are really far too high. We thought they were expensive for dinner, but I think it is the same menu, and to pay in excess of $30 per person for a main which doesn't include any sides is excessive. So if you order a steak, you get steak and have to pay extra for chips or veggies. The main is also not terribly big - the pasta dish quantity looked about a cupful! So although the food was very tasty and well cooked (apart from a gristly steak), it is not good value for money, even for a more upmarket venue. It's a real shame because it is a great venue, but you can't help coming away feeling a tad hard done by.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

I dined with a friend at Harlequin Public house last Friday after reading some fantastic reviews. The restaurant is set in what appears to be a Californian beach house. There are many quirky finishes and they boast a great range of locally sourced produce. The staff are very knowledgeable in the menu items and all very cheerful.

We were welcomed in without delay, being offered a great table despite not making a reservation at 7:30pm on a Friday evening. before we knew it it was 10:30 and after a delightful meal and a few cocktails we sat around to chat without being rushed off.

I definitely suggest experiencing Harlequin.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

My partner and I went there for a date night a couple of months ago and at first they forgot our reservation which got me a bit on the wrong foot. They fixed this straight away and got us a nice table, but then brought the wrong entree to my partner ... A couple of tiny mistakes but didn't alter the quality of the food and the fact that we had a good night. I quite often go there for drinks as well after work and we are always well received, and their outdoor area in summer is just gorgeous.

Reviewed 13 June 2014 via mobile

My fiancee and I stopped here for a quick drink which turned in to 3, as it has good music though unobtrusive, great decor and service, with a really chilled, sophisticated and hip vibe. Looking forward to eating there next time

Reviewed 29 May 2014

Early evening dinner for two on a cold and grey Thursday. Harlequin Public House had been recommended as a place with good ambience and good food by a colleague from work. The whole place exudes warmth, from the timber, the mural, the staff, the food, even the rest rooms are comforting and welcoming! We found the staff to be courteous and helpful. Food delivery prompt which is to be expected this early in the evening and only a few tables full. I have been told this restaurant doesn’t take bookings, but just checked their website and it seems that they do.
Menu offers about half a dozen starter, main, and dessert choices. Johnny Schwass, owner and chef, has had lots of publicity. My pork chop was BIG, the sauce pleasant enough, and the sauerkraut tasty. We shared a side of delicious baby brussel sprouts. The side dishes sounded really interesting and delicious. The rice pudding was a perfect complement to the main – sweet and aromatic. We were warm and comfortable and felt emotionally and physically satisfied from a good meal. Parking was available in an empty lot across the road. Glad we came . . . p.s. I felt the entrance walkway needed welcoming flame-torches or lamps to mark the entrance more noticeably.