“New and clean, close to CBD”
Review of Quest Christchurch

Quest Christchurch
Ranked #16 of 144 Hotels in Christchurch
“New and clean, close to CBD”
Reviewed 13 November 2013 via mobile

This seems to be a new place in the middle of Christchurch. Only stayed an overnight here, there's not much going on in the city with the quake rebuild ongoing. Rooms are new and clean and the staff on the front counter are very helpful and friendly. Found it difficult to find a taxi the next morning as the reception was closed, however managed to get the guy at the adjacent hotel, the Rendezvous, to call me one.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Darlington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 October 2013 via mobile

We stayed one night in the Quest Christchurch as we had used the one in central Rotorua and found it exceptional. The hotel is very central and has recently reopened, although decorating is still ongoing. Our room was adequate but we were disappointed with the standard of appliances and lay out. Perhaps we were expecting too much.
Check in was easy and the receptionist was pleasant and helpful.
Christchurch has a long way to go to recover from the earthquake but The Quest has missed a opportunity to it themselves at the no one spot being one of the first to open in the city.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Hamilton, New Zealand
Reviewed 19 October 2013

I'm sorry. Quest. As a former Christchurch resident I have a lot of sympathy for anyone trying to restart a business. I had no problem with needing to access my room through the car park while the tramlines are being refurbished,for example. I'd also like to say that the rooms have been refurbished beautifully. There is an issue with being able to hear the sounds of everyone else flushing their toilets,especially since the areas so quiet. Have to give this a terrible review though, as there was a major breach of security while I was there (as a female in a rooms her own). At 7.30am on my morning of check out,as I was in the bathroom, putting on makeup, someone else used a swipe card and started to enter my room. The bathroom is right next to the door so I was able to shout 'oy - hello!' And received an 'oh, sorry' and they quickly retreated. What on earth? When I reported this to the duty manager (still shaking) I was told that only the owners and the duty manager have cards with access to all rooms. I pointed out that it wasn't her, and I could not see why the owners would have chosen to visit my room at 7.30 on a Saturday and said that it sounded like a guest who had accidentally got the wrong room. I said I would post this on trip advisor so that the hotel could post a response letting us know what action they have taken on this. Perhaps chains fitted to the doors would, at least prevent something like this happening again, although I would dearly love to know how it was possible for someone else's swipe card to open my room. Quest, I wish you well with the rebuild, and without this security issue my rating would have been a 4.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Laura H
uk
Reviewed 16 October 2013 via mobile

The rooms are nicely finished and have everything you need for a business traveller. The bad part is the drainage for the building, I was continually woken by people in rooms above flushing toilets and running a shower due to the drainage pipe being uninsulated meaning I could hear it each and every time. Other than this point, the place is good, I just didn't get much sleep.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Lake Macquarie, Australia
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Stayed at Quest Christchurch early October. Was a little concerned as at that stage of booking no recent reviews on tripadvisor. Location is right in the CBD of Christchurch. Short walk to the container mall and Botanic Gardens. The Botanic gardens are amazing and worth visiting. There is still a lot of rebuilding going on around the Quest, but the beauty and character of Christchurch can still be seen.
There are not a lot of restaurants nearby. There is a great coffee shop nearby and an ok Chinese restaurant. The Himalayan Indian restaurant were able to deliver for a charge of $5; really good Indian food. The Quest is still completing some of the rooms so we had to go via the basement level to get to our side of the building, which was a little inconvenient with luggage. However, the reception staff let us know the atrium area would be completed soon which would mean this would no longer be a problem. The rooms were fresh, spacious, comfortable and newly refurbished. A very comfortable stay.
Also the city tram will be up and running again shortly which stops within the atrium area of the Quest.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 30 September 2013 via mobile

Stayed here on 30/9/13, shortly after it reopened it, after the Earthquake. The room was fine, but considering it had a microwave for cooking or reheating food, lacked any washing up facilities, tea towels or cloths. Maybe these should be added to make things more convenient.

Much of the CBD is no longer there of course, so there are a distinct lack of eating places nearby. I finally found a pretty mediocre Chinese behind the hotel after plenty of searching. Curiously, given this fact, the hotel did not have any takeaway menus for guests - a bit of an oversight and lost opportunity maybe.

But the room was clean and tidy, and there was free wifi which was a nice bonus.

I'm sure as Christchurch rebuilds, the CBD will again become more busy, and this would be a great place to stay for a visit.

Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Ken W
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 23 August 2011

On Tuesday 10 May we were granted access to the premises with a Team of 11 people and were able to access and clear all but 2 rooms of the entire Quest Christchurch Complex. A freight forwarding company has been commissioned to have all guests belongings returned to their respective owners (both nationally and internationally). If you have not already, please email your forwarding address to info@questchristchurch.co.nz.

In relation to any future reservations; once we have been granted full access to the building and the area; we are confident that our team will have the business of Quest Christchurch up and running within a reasonably short period of time

Once we have been provided with definitive dates from the Civil Authorities we will update this website

Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple